New Cummins or new Duramax?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation I appreciate it, but I have trouble believing the science behind displacing oxygen in the combustion chamber in a effort to reduce emissions. It is counter intuitive to me. Any fire that I have ever dealt with burns cleaner with more oxygen. A case in point the Big Dogs that are rolling coal every chance they get are simply over fueling. There just is not enough oxygen available to support compete combustion so the un burnt fuel go out the pipe. You can get your gas lawn mower to do the same thing just don't clean the air filter. In any case I brought up the "AIR" pump GM use in the 70s in my first post because I just don't believe some of the sh#t we are fed. It does have me thinking though, that if I am wrong I should do more. Like run a pipe from the exhaust of my lawn mower to the air intake. Thanks again.
The EGR system reduces the NOx or nitrous oxide emissions of the engine, NOx are created because oxygen combines with the nitrogen in the air under high heat and pressure, so by circulating exhaust gas back into the engine there is less oxygen to form NOx as well as less heat involved in the combustion cycle to form the NOx. Now the argument is being made that the EGR system could be removed from new diesels completely because the SCR (DEF) system also removes NOx by injecting urea into the exhaust and passing it over a catalyst to turn the NOx into water and nitrogen.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread here. Lots of good info

I have heard some people getting good mileage with the new trucks. Some don't It's a tuff call and I don't know a whole pile about it so I am learning. Looking at a new truck in the future to.

Calgary to Edmonton and at least 100 kms driving around Edmonton in traffic, then back to Calgary on one tank of fuel in my 15 Ram. 12.3 l/100 average unloaded. Not too bad as I drive fast. Also a disappointment with the 2105 over my 2010 is that although the fuel tank is still supposed to be 129 litres, all calculations work it out to be down to 110 litres now. I am not sure if there is an air space that won't fill like the old truck or if the reserve is now just made bigger?? Now pulling my 29 ft travel trailer into that nasty wind on Friday, I got terrible fuel economy at 24 litres/100. Side note, friend with 8 cylinder Ford F150 used over 30 litres/100.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still haven't heard any comparison on $ or the dodges air suspension vs chevy spring

I was going to add the factory air bags to my 3500, 15 RAM but when I heard it was about $1500 and then I found out that the payload for the 15 went up about 1200 lbs over my 2010, I decided to upgrade the transmission for $1700 to the ASIN instead. I made the right decision as the new suspension is great as it handles the sled deck and 2 sleds better than the 2010. The 2010 handled the weight fine but would rock more in the corners. And you ask about price. The Ram and Chev sticker about the same but I got about $20,000 off sticker price with the Chrysler Fleet program. All you need is a registered company with at least 3 employees. It is also good for friends and family. Another note about the suspension, these 3500's ride much better in the mega cab or long box versions, even better than the Chevy's as they have more travel. That said any 8000 lb. truck is not built to go off road

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Calgary to Edmonton and at least 100 kms driving around Edmonton in traffic, then back to Calgary on one tank of fuel in my 15 Ram. 12.3 l/100 average unloaded. Not too bad as I drive fast. Also a disappointment with the 2105 over my 2010 is that although the fuel tank is still supposed to be 129 litres, all calculations work it out to be down to 110 litres now. I am not sure if there is an air space that won't fill like the old truck or if the reserve is now just made bigger?? Now pulling my 29 ft travel trailer into that nasty wind on Friday, I got terrible fuel economy at 24 litres/100. Side note, friend with 8 cylinder Ford F150 used over 30 litres/100.

That's about 750km on 110L. Really not that great. I get WELL over 1000km on 136L on my 2011 UNdeleted Duramax unloaded. Damn near 1200km once.

Don't even ask me about mileage when pulling my 16K 5er tho. Lol

Last edited:

GrizzForce

Reaction score
My 2015 stock cummins is avg 23mpg on hwy empty at a speed above 110;)
Towing my 10,000lb 35 ft bumper pull camper i can not give ya a avg as I have not made any long hauls with it yet. Just 30km trips to bush
The factory air susp is awesome. push a button when hooked up to my camper and it levels out perfect. rides smoother then any of my 1/2 ton work trucks. one of every brand.
$85+k sticker and got it for $60
Best truck I've owned so far. Hopfully I will still be saying that in 5 or more years:d

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's about 750km on 110L. Really not that great. I get WELL over 1000km on 136L on my 2011 UNdeleted Duramax unloaded. Damn near 1200km once.

Don't even ask me about mileage when pulling my 16K 5er tho. Lol

Your math is 14.66 l /100. I actually got 12.3 l / 100. It used about 95 litres on this 770 km trip. That is about 22 mile/Imp.gal.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Your math is 14.66 l /100. I actually got 12.3 l / 100. It used about 95 litres on this 770 km trip. That is about 22 mile/Imp.gal.

136L / 12 = 11.33L/100km or 25 imp mi/G or 20.7 US mi/G for me.

I have to admit tho... the mega cab is the cats ass. And, as of 2015, the Dodge trucks are the best looking. By a LONG shot, imo.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation I appreciate it, but I have trouble believing the science behind displacing oxygen in the combustion chamber in a effort to reduce emissions. It is counter intuitive to me. Any fire that I have ever dealt with burns cleaner with more oxygen. A case in point the Big Dogs that are rolling coal every chance they get are simply over fueling. There just is not enough oxygen available to support compete combustion so the un burnt fuel go out the pipe. You can get your gas lawn mower to do the same thing just don't clean the air filter. In any case I brought up the "AIR" pump GM use in the 70s in my first post because I just don't believe some of the sh#t we are fed. It does have me thinking though, that if I am wrong I should do more. Like run a pipe from the exhaust of my lawn mower to the air intake. Thanks again.

I know, it seems counter productive, but stock diesel trucks always run leaner than the ideal stoichiometric ratio, meaning there is always oxygen left over in the exhaust gases, a diesel will begin to produce soot even with oxygen left in the combustion chamber, by running an EGR system you essentially decrease the percentage of oxygen in the combustion chamber adding more inert products like CO2 and nitrogen therefore decreasing the combustion temperatures, now you can also gain power back by adding boost to increase the total quantity of oxygen to be burned. EGR is by no means a way of generating more power, it is simply a tool used to help meet emissions. Now yes it may cause the engine to produce more soot, but the DPF will also take care of this. But trust me, if i delete my truck the EGR will be either removed or turned off, I'm not a big fan of the engine sucking all that soot back into the engine.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya, tell that to hundreds of people I see, stuck in salmon arm cause the def light is on a speed limited to 89 kmph and have 100 km till 55 kmph

U do know it all don't ya Lenny

Yes delete is not the best, but burning a hole bunch extra fuel for 100000 km is???

Deleted trucks run better, oil stays cleaner longer ect

Lol sorry Tex, you obviously know it all. Good luck with all your endeavours. Please email me when you see fit to expand my knowledge.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol sorry Tex, you obviously know it all. Good luck with all your endeavours. Please email me when you see fit to expand my knowledge.
Will do, hope u fall on ur hard head in the mean time and smarten up some, as much as you could would be awsome

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome explanation! Unlike a gas engine the fuel air mix is not set on a diesel therefor the exhaust gas is a convenient way of dilution. Its got me wondering when some cleaver individual will come up with a low cost high volume nitrogen concentrator? Thanks for the awesome post.
I know, it seems counter productive, but stock diesel trucks always run leaner than the ideal stoichiometric ratio, meaning there is always oxygen left over in the exhaust gases, a diesel will begin to produce soot even with oxygen left in the combustion chamber, by running an EGR system you essentially decrease the percentage of oxygen in the combustion chamber adding more inert products like CO2 and nitrogen therefore decreasing the combustion temperatures, now you can also gain power back by adding boost to increase the total quantity of oxygen to be burned. EGR is by no means a way of generating more power, it is simply a tool used to help meet emissions. Now yes it may cause the engine to produce more soot, but the DPF will also take care of this. But trust me, if i delete my truck the EGR will be either removed or turned off, I'm not a big fan of the engine sucking all that soot back into the engine.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 chev 3500 srw and love it only thing I wish I had was a push button start and the touchless entry like the dodges.

They all have their pros and cons. I wish the keyless entry on my Ram was fine tuned as the fob should have a switch on it to keep it or a spare in the truck. If you leave your fob in the truck, anyone can open the door and start the engine. At least if it had a switch I could remove the key out of it and shut it off and hide it in the truck when I go sledding/biking. I don't want to lose this expensive fob and the key would be smaller and lighter to keep in my pocket. I don't understand why they couldn't simply shut off when the key is removed from it? The pros of this system is that you can never lock your fob in the truck and have to call someone for help.

Burns

Reaction score
They all have their pros and cons. I wish the keyless entry on my Ram was fine tuned as the fob should have a switch on it to keep it or a spare in the truck. If you leave your fob in the truck, anyone can open the door and start the engine. At least if it had a switch I could remove the key out of it and shut it off and hide it in the truck when I go sledding/biking. I don't want to lose this expensive fob and the key would be smaller and lighter to keep in my pocket. I don't understand why they couldn't simply shut off when the key is removed from it? The pros of this system is that you can never lock your fob in the truck and have to call someone for help.

Have you tried locking the door with the key and leaving the fob inside? I know on the wifes toyota once you lock the door with the key the fob will not open the door back up - you have to use the key. Worth a try if you haven't.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cummins

Less work to stud if more power is wanted
No other motor can touch the Cummins for reliability
Mega Cab rocks
Cheaper to mod in the future (includes you 3" lift)
Cheaper to maintain front end parts

If you say your dmax rides like caddy your full of it, actually go ride in a luxury car NO comparison if you want a cloud like ride go buy a nice car if you want 1ton your ride will suffer pretty simple

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried locking the door with the key and leaving the fob inside? I know on the wifes toyota once you lock the door with the key the fob will not open the door back up - you have to use the key. Worth a try if you haven't.

I often use the fob to lock it and then open it again. Kinda dumb if you can't do that as the key stays in the fob and if you lock it in the truck you would be out of luck. I don't think it knows if it is inside or outside the truck.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cummins

Less work to stud if more power is wanted
No other motor can touch the Cummins for reliability
Mega Cab rocks
Cheaper to mod in the future (includes you 3" lift)
Cheaper to maintain front end parts

If you say your dmax rides like caddy your full of it, actually go ride in a luxury car NO comparison if you want a cloud like ride go buy a nice car if you want 1ton your ride will suffer pretty simple

I agree or you can go and get a new 2500 Ram with coil springs and it was declared "best ride" for any HD by one of the magazines recently.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess you have to ask yourself "what am I using the truck for?" Both are great units depending on what you are doing with them. As far as reliability, they are on an equal playing field, and in my experience with 2007-2014 GM and Chev diesels, my Dodges spend less time in the shop. If you are off road a lot, the Dodge has better ground clearance, a rougher ride, and an engine that will run forever. The Dodge doesn't like to be idled much, and gets less MPG when empty, and the Duramax is faster in a drag race when both trucks are empty. When heavily loaded, the Dodge (in my experience) gets better fuel economy, and will out pull the GM.
In summary, if you use your truck primarily as a pleasure vehicle with occasional light towing and minimal off road use, I would go with the GM, hands down. But if you want to work that vehicle hard and don't mind a harsher ride, I would go with the Dodge.

Top Bottom