New Calgary Flames

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to wonder if and where the ownership and management of the Flames come to an agreement on player contracts and team performance.

Calgary's payroll is likely going to be somewhere in the top 5 of the league. Half of the team having some sort of no movement restrictions this year and almost the remaining half being UFA's next year it will be an interesting 12-13 months for Calgary Fan's.

Its also no surprise that there isn't a huge amount of depth in Calgary's system. Hockey's Future ranks Calgary as last in the leagure for prospects aside from Tim Erixon & TJ Brodie I can't think of anyone who is in the Calgary system, be it I am not a Calgary fan either so I am sure there are some other bright shining stars in there.

Edmonton in recent years has been the city who has struggled to bring in big name UFA's, be it that it is a far North city, its not on an Ocean, and has had a poor performance streak overall for 10 years (count '06 as luck), finishing mediocre didn't help their draft choices either. Finally admitting defeat, they tank it. Its better to finish last and build your team from high draft picks, then finish 20 points higher and end up with nothing.

It took Pittsburgh 4 solid years of tanking it to draft MA-Fleury, Malkin, Crosby and Staal, and go for a cup 2 years after that. Edmonton should do the same, but the fan pressure might rush them into trying to be contenders too quick.

Calgary needs to do something major or soon they will become the Edmonton of the past. Atleast Oiler fans can say we have a future to look towards, maybe even a winning future in a few years. I don't think Edmonton will have multiple Cup winning seasons, but 1 or 2. Its too hard to keep teams together now. But if you atleast introduce a winning culture, players and UFA's may want to play there for a chance at a cup.

Calgary has become older, more restricted and finishing mediocre in the standings will make the fans tired very quickly.

Top Bottom