New 2500 Hemi

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isnt dodge still offering the "no charge Cummins diesel" right now? which may help with the hemi/cummins decision. i know they were when i last spoke with them.

I had a 2004 hemi 1500 with 3:92 gears, 20's and 35" toyos and like said before it hauled lower weights fine but anything over around 7k was too much. I now have a 06 hemi with the mds (wifes) and it works pretty good but its not really a good trailer puller. Seems to me the MDS only works at perfect RARE occasions. (i know there's parameters for it to activate)

My 06 cummins and 05 duramax really make it hard to compare to hemi for towing/hauling comparison. The newer transmissions on the 06 (545RFE) - up are way better then the 05 - down for hauling and reliability IMO.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya dodge is still offering the no charge diesel at the moment but then you lose out on the low rate financing whereas the 2500 hemi's you get a pretty big rebate plus low rate financing. If you are paying cash and not financing it might be better to go with a diesel, just ultimately depends on how much weight you want to tow and how often you are towing it.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fyi. Have the 2500 hemi loaded up with the deck and two xp's on it and the thing is not even sagged out. Thought i was going to need airbags for sure but now i am not even sure if i will have them installed. I will report back on mileage i get with it going through the mountains, don't expect it to be great on fuel but will let everyone know real world mileage when i get back.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With two xp's full of fuel and truck full of fuel weighed in at 8245 lbs with me in the truck but no gear or passenger yet. I got 12.5 mpg going from red deer to radium and back and that was hauling azz. So take it for what it is worth but that is real world mileage loaded up.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with my 2010 hemi 2500 i consistantly get between 16-17 l/100km on the hwy empty driving normal- so passing and cruise on 110 or so. i have got as low as 14 l/100km, but that was doing 95km and no stopping.
pulling my enclosed that weighs 5500lbs, and driving 105 and no more, its more like 23 l/100km.

my truck has 3.73s and the 5 speed transmission, which is a huge improvement from the 4 spd.

i would love to drive a dielsel, but i'll pay for alot of gas before it would make monetary sense to switch, especially when gas is 15 -20 cents cheaper .

oh, and for what its worth, the dodge dealer i was talking to said the demand for 3/4 ton hemis has gone thru the roof, hope that helps my resale-- (doubt it:rolleyes:)

sapper33

Reaction score
I loved my Hemi, save the fuel mileage.

Had an '08 Power Wagon, on 35x12.5 Toyo MT's, 7' Deck, and a 6' drawer tool box. Best I ever saw on the highway (with no quads) was 18L/100km. With quads on the deck, running between Whitecourt and Swan Hills all last winter I was averageing 29L/100km.

Hooked onto my travel trailer (28', ~7000lbs), I was getting 32L/100km, no quads.

Lot's of jam to do it, but I couldn't deal with 9MPG anymore. Traded it in on an 07.5 6.7 diesel, and it's a world of difference. With no chip, the Hemi does have noticably more power, but the torque and fuel economy difference is mind blowing. Sad when I'm considering 13-15L/100km mind blowing...

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14 L/100 kms is 20.14 MPG so pretty good. To figure out Canadian miles per gallon just take 282.48 and divide that by your litres per 100 kms. You guys are probably figuring out American miles per gallon which is obviously not the same.

I just use my iphone conversion app, which is probably american.:beer:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you though of a Chev or Gm with the 6.2l? I have a 2010 Chev with the 6.2l it has to be the best truck I ever had. 403 hp and 23mpg it pulls my holiday trailer 9200lbs and I will get 14.4mpg in Alberta and 12.5 in BC(more hills) The 6.2l comes in a half ton better ride and all the power you want. I have a buddy with the 2011 Dodge he pulls his sled trailer 2200lbs and got 8.9mpg.

DieselDemon

Reaction score
Sorta off topic, but I love my 99 2500 ram diesel. She rides like a tank, is hard on fuel, and the best part about it is nothing sounds like a cold cummins on a -25 morning lol. Ps it's great to piss off the liberal neighbors at 645am. I don't think we should be talking about MPG when we are talking about 3/4 ton trucks. They will have poor fuel economy no matter what. Truck = useful, smart car = good gas mileage

sapper33

Reaction score
I don't think we should be talking about MPG when we are talking about 3/4 ton trucks. They will have poor fuel economy no matter what. Truck = useful, smart car = good gas mileage
It's true that no truck is going to be "good" on fuel, it's still a big concern. I put 70000km on my truck last winter, at an average of 23L/100 km, I burned over 16000L of gas. In my diesel getting even 17L/100km, the same mileage would have burned arond 12000L. The cost of those extra 4000L comes out of my pocket, so if I can save them, I want to.

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14 L/100 kms is 20.14 MPG so pretty good. To figure out Canadian miles per gallon just take 282.48 and divide that by your litres per 100 kms. You guys are probably figuring out American miles per gallon which is obviously not the same.

Yet another person that uses the made up Canadian MPG to make themselves feel better about their mileage. If you are talking about miles per gallon you need to use american gallons cause there is no such thing as a Canadian mile. You shouldn't use two different scales to make a comparison, Canadian to Canadian or American to American not a combination of the two.

sapper33

Reaction score
There's also no such thing as a Canadian Gallon. There are Imperial Gallons (4.54L), and US Gallons(3.78L). One more indication as to why the imperial system is antiquated, and why L/100km is a more straight forward system.

Not to mention the fact that "we" as a country don't use miles.

In my case it's moot: 9MPG, US or Imperial is like saying really bad vs crappy, either way: it's terrible!

Last edited:

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yet another person that uses the made up canadian mpg to make themselves feel better about their mileage. If you are talking about miles per gallon you need to use american gallons cause there is no such thing as a canadian mile. You shouldn't use two different scales to make a comparison, canadian to canadian or american to american not a combination of the two.

just wanting to show that when people look at the door stickers on the estimated miles per gallon (right from the factory) that they understand that is not american miles per gallon. Has nothing to do with making someone feel better about their fuel mileage just wanting to compare door msrp sticker stated mileage to actually what they are getting so when some says their vehicle was rated a xx mpg well that is based on the imperial gallon and not the american gallon.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 ram 1500 hemi and I get 23-25 mpg's on the highway empty being nice to it, towing my 5000lb travel trailer I get about 12 mpg's. My buddy has the 2011 hemi 2500 and he's getting 18-19 mpg's on the highway empty. All I can say is that my new truck is hands down a way better truck than my previous 08 1500 hemi. Ride, power, handling while towing, comfort are all way better, very happy with my 11 hemi, can't wait till its broke in to see what kind of mileage I get

landman

Reaction score
I'm not adding much to the conversation, but mileage has more to do with the nut holding the steering wheel than anything else. My old man regularly gets 27-30 mpg with is 12v (90 kmph, every shift at 1600 rpm, races the old lady with a walker through the intersection and only sometimes wins). I get in and drive it as nice as I can stand and only see 22 mpg. If you try hard enough you can get a Focus below 15 mpg :)

As an aside, I was under the impression the heavy duty's did have MDS, it just doesn't kick in nearly as often as the 2500's are just heavy enough to require more power all the time, and I suspect the parameters on engagement are less liberal.

• Thanks
Reactions: win

sledneck97

Reaction score
I have the 2011 2500 hemi I find it's way better on gas than my 07 that I had. Hauled my 28 ft travel trailer down to California this summer and
Averaged around 25 L/100kms roughly. A friend of mine that traveled down with me had a brand new f350 diesel he averaged around 19 L/100km. So not really that big of a difference especially when he paid 25000 dollars more than i paid for my dodge.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm not adding much to the conversation, but mileage has more to do with the nut holding the steering wheel than anything else. My old man regularly gets 27-30 mpg with is 12v (90 kmph, every shift at 1600 rpm, races the old lady with a walker through the intersection and only sometimes wins). I get in and drive it as nice as i can stand and only see 22 mpg. If you try hard enough you can get a focus below 15 mpg :)

as an aside, i was under the impression the heavy duty's did have mds, it just doesn't kick in nearly as often as the 2500's are just heavy enough to require more power all the time, and i suspect the parameters on engagement are less liberal.

as far as the mds goes there is actually no mds on anything heavier than the 1500 so the 2500's do not have mds. They never have had it as it is pretty much pointless as it would never kick in.

Top Bottom