New '08 Phazer for the Wife

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 08 Phazer Mtn for the wife. I pick it up next week and was wondering if it was worth getting an extended warrenty on this thing. I've heard the 07s had some reverse issues and wiring harness issues but relatively minor. Is it worth $600 to get an extra 2 yr warrenty? I was leaning towards getting it as I think she will likely only put on 2-300kms per year so it won't even get broke in before the warrenty expires! I'll have to put a few miles on it for her!

Has anyone tried an RSR skid plate on it? How do they fit? Royal Dist. lists them for $65 (Yami wants $125).

I've heard they can have cold starting issues...is this just an '07 problem?

Anything else I should know or do to it so the wife is happy?

Thanks,

Shawn.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same situation as you. I bought a new 08 in June for my wife, and the Phazer will only see a couple hundred km per year. The extended warranty will be expired before anything has a chance of going wrong. I would pass on the extended warranty.:twocents:

The coldest temperature I’ve tried to start the Phazer was -20. It has started every time, but it turns over slowly. I may have a weak battery. I always think that there is no way this thing is going to start, but it does.

Altapeet

Reaction score
I have an 08 gt with no issues so far i bought the extended warranty although I havent needed it. I only have about 550k so far I have started it at -30 no troubles but it does turn ove r hard at that temp. I think the extra warranty is worth if only for the peace of mind

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess it's just personnal preferance. We have owned two other phazers, a '92 and a '96, and never had any problems. But I could repair almost anything on them; I did the top end on on the '96 myself @5500kms. I'm just a little nervous about the 4stroke motor on the Phazer and having the warrenty expire before it's broke in. If I have problems with the '08 motor I'm not even going to try and work on it....it's of to the Yami dealer.

I think I'll opt for the 2nd year coverage just so we have warrenty through the end of next season and I'll make sure we put some miles on it!

What skid plates did you guys install? Have you covered the rear tunnel hole?

Thanks,

Shawn.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a skid plate on mine. Too worried about ice building up between the pan and the skid plate, and popping it off. I did cover the hole in the tunnel.Link

Altapeet

Reaction score
i covered the tunnel hole two , you will regret it if you dont , it builds up bad under there if you dont.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work o nthe dealer to cover the hole in the tunnel. That just doesn;t seem right that I should have to put two hours into a sled and it hasn't left the show room! Especially if Yami knows the hole is a dumb idea (no hole in the '09s).

Lashcat

Reaction score
I bought a 08 Phazer MTX for my son and girlfriend to ride. I got it new three weeks ago for 4999. I love it myself. It is a fun machine. I want to get it in some powder to see how it does there. If it does well enough I am thinking about getting one for myself and add a supercharger so it will have the HP. I have a 2000 MM with bender pipes on it. It is a rocket but it feels like driving a lead ballon after riding the Phazer.

If you were to put foot pegs on it you would think you are on a dirt bike.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a brand new 07 for one year then it got stolen so yeah, but i put about 1200kms on it and didnt have a problem with it at all. even started in -40! but i put on the yamaha skid plate on it and it seemed to be alright didnt collect a whole lot of snow and ice between the two and it was an easy in stall to put it on, did it out in the yard no drilling required on the 07

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had it out for the first ride this weekend; a fun sled to ride. I had the rear suspension set too soft though - but it made for easy wheelies!

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah they ride nice i liked mine. couple things i forgot to say bout it though, if your wife doesnt like the wind blowin on her while rididn get a bigger windshield and some handlebar guards cuz otherwise it get a mite drafty when ure cookin on it. but the sled looks so much cooler without the windshield on it lol :cool:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Read the title,thought this was the place to trade my wife for a sled...:(
oh well...

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I got the big windshield on for her; she hated the little windshield on my Apex. My only complaint is there is absolutely no place to stash any thing on a Phazer. I'll buy her a small back pack and maybe a handle bar bag.

Mike270412, I doubt your wife would let me go sledding as often as mine does!

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah they dont have ch!t all for storage, but my neighboor bought a saddle bag and made it work since they really dont have anything for the phazer. but a guy should be able to put some kinda rack on the back to at least hold a pack or somethin since they say not to put a gas can back there

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took the wife out to Cataract creek today for her first ride on her new sled. Damned thing came back on the strap! 6km from the parking lot and it starts dumping antifreeze. I don't know what's wrong with it yet; I'll have a look in the morning but I'm a little disappointed. It's the first brand spanking new sled I've ever bought. I guess that's part of a new sled experience - find all of the assembly errors and junk parts then you get new sled reliability?

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dude thats weird my 07 never had a sniff of a problem and same luck with my 08 nytro. gotta be somethin stupid like always with somethin new loose hose or somethin hopefully :beer:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a look at it this morning and the radiator has a hole in it! Not a mark or a bent fin on it anywhere. Hopefully they can get a new one in quick as we were planning on 4 days of sledding next weekend!

Top Bottom