Negative interest rates ?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's so hard to say, no one knows which is why there is so much money to be made in a crash because so many don't see it coming. Just IMO if I was looking for good deals i'd be holding off for now and piling up cash waiting to see what happens. The advantage with housing at least is everyone needs a place to live so even if prices tank rent generally holds fairly steady. Meanwhile commercial could sit empty for years. I'm shocked at the market for commercial though, was hoping to buy for a last few years here gave up as can't afford to buy a acre of land with a shop, or even build shop it's too dahm expensive being a little guy. If one pops up it's sold fast and for stupid prices.

We are currently working on big brand new shops in the Edmonton area for a company that owns and leases these buildings out to other companies long term.
They have a massive portfolio of properties in Alberta.

Very good money in that too, if you do it right.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thoughts, money is truly the root of all evil. Work hard and don’t take life to seriously, Enjoy your passion. I’m trying to take a different road to because for most people I’ve known it all ends to soon.
Im trying to learn from my travels to third would country’s. Some of the happiest poor people I’ve ever seen. Like Kenny chesney sings, we wont be happy till we’re rich and miserable.
sometimes just being happy with what we have isn’t such a bad thing.

I totally get that some people aren't driven by money, some are happy to make $40k a year and never travel, have toys, go on nice vacations and just spend their free time watching tv or something else free or really cheap. But man that sounds awful to me. I'm not trying to be a dick, but of the people like that I know most are just too dahm lazy to do more, and claim to be happy with their life. I find it really hard to believe. I don't think someone making $100k a year is happier then someone making $70k a year if the only difference is a bit nicer house, car, vacation, etc and they work the same hours, same vacation time, etc. But if you are smart with the extra money I think it makes you happier, like if you used it to take a extra month of vacation. Money doesn't buy happiness but it buys freedom which is pretty dahm close to happiness.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Weed stocks are nose diving. Haha. Big corporations thought they could grow en masse in greenhouses. All BC Growers knew they would fail. 17 months, billions of dollars invested, hundreds of thousands of elbows(pounds) of low quality weed sitting. Lots of investors lost tons o cash. Invest in your mental health. Don’t focus on money. The more you think about money, the more it chases it away. Go about your life, doing what you are passionate about, all else will fall into place. Kd words to go by.

Old news, they have actually stabilized compared to last year - like any new industry, there was huge hype and lots of $$$ made by many. Speculation could not be supported by earnings lots of start ups got bought up and those doing the buying became over diluted. Over time the market will narrow and the healthy will survive while the rest get absorbed or insolvent.

A lot of pot stocks were small start-ups who bought defunct CSE listed corporations in order to be traded, a couple positive news hits and double digit daily gains and people came running. I've made decent returns on my portfolio but I'd be naïve to think that some of the bags I'm left holding won't go tits up while others will come out industry leaders a few years from now.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are currently working on big brand new shops in the Edmonton area for a company that owns and leases these buildings out to other companies long term.
They have a massive portfolio of properties in Alberta.

Very good money in that too, if you do it right.

If you own the land already and bought at good time it's a goldmine. Trying to find an acre in the west end or acheson or winterburn for $450k or less is impossible, then if it has a shop, it's a million bucks. It's a lot of money. Sure I could afford it, but i'd rather just rent land have decent temporary shelters do some of my own work and use the savings to take stuff in for repairs I don't want to bother with. I'm shocked at the companies who do it, it's a huge chunk of revenue going to support that.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you own the land already and bought at good time it's a goldmine. Trying to find an acre in the west end or acheson or winterburn for $450k or less is impossible, then if it has a shop, it's a million bucks. It's a lot of money. Sure I could afford it, but i'd rather just rent land have decent temporary shelters do some of my own work and use the savings to take stuff in for repairs I don't want to bother with. I'm shocked at the companies who do it, it's a huge chunk of revenue going to support that.

Weve been very busy in Acheson these are 10 - 20 million dollar shops though. Not small operations.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weve been very busy in Acheson these are 10 - 20 million dollar shops though. Not small operations.

Yea those aren't as bad, once you get into a lot bigger size the land and building gets a lot cheaper, Acheson's taxes are so much lower too and better services. Was looking at Sentag's old shop/yard in Winterburn actually to rent the price was very reasonable, it's just way too big and can't be bothered trying to rent with other people.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea those aren't as bad, once you get into a lot bigger size the land and building gets a lot cheaper, Acheson's taxes are so much lower too and better services. Was looking at Sentag's old shop/yard in Winterburn actually to rent the price was very reasonable, it's just way too big and can't be bothered trying to rent with other people.

I dont know how far out of town you want to be, maybe Devon or Calmar might be less $ ?

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know how far out of town you want to be, maybe Devon or Calmar might be less $ ?

Way too far. Things are dirt cheap there but wouldn't even consider it, the extra driving would negate any savings. Frankly Acheson was the limit, much prefer being back in Winterburn actually. Going to stay pay for at least a few years now, moved in and setup way too much chit to move again, and moved the last 2 years in a row no way i'm doing it again. One huge benefit of living so close was had a prick jump the fence and try to steal from the yard last weekend, so being super close is a huge benefit, although it turned out to be the one weekend i'm out of town. Thankfully landlord was great called the cops and they caught the idiot and nothing was stolen or damaged.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally get that some people aren't driven by money, some are happy to make $40k a year and never travel, have toys, go on nice vacations and just spend their free time watching tv or something else free or really cheap. But man that sounds awful to me. I'm not trying to be a dick, but of the people like that I know most are just too dahm lazy to do more, and claim to be happy with their life. I find it really hard to believe. I don't think someone making $100k a year is happier then someone making $70k a year if the only difference is a bit nicer house, car, vacation, etc and they work the same hours, same vacation time, etc. But if you are smart with the extra money I think it makes you happier, like if you used it to take a extra month of vacation. Money doesn't buy happiness but it buys freedom which is pretty dahm close to happiness.
I’m not saying money can’t reduce sadness. I saying one must not just obsess on it. I’ll give it some more thought on my 3 months off.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not saying money can’t reduce sadness. I saying one must not just obsess on it. I’ll give it some more thought on my 3 months off.

I agree. Just talking here though, moved it outta the F-350 thread so everyone can talk about money and how to make/preserve money in a down turn.

Is it cool to discuss that here in the negative interest rate thread, or we gotta start another one for that?

:beer:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
19 years. old man really doesn't help me out to much, but biggest atvantage I had in life (imo) was the mentality of an entrepreneur.

I was totally broke 2 years ago after 6 years of vacation and now sitting on a decent amount of $ that I made from working and investing the last 2 years. now I'm looking at making some bigger investments.

in my 20''s I was licensed to sell mutual funds and insurance, and was a "financial" advisor by trade. it was a joke because I was 22 and didn't have much real "financial adivce" but never the less I sold some high $ irp''s to daddy''s friends. that's right. and made some $$$$

went on to invest in some patents and houses

**** went south and i went to work for my dad.

got married, devorced went sledding for 6 years and now her e I am trying to make my own legacy.

my grams just died, she died a wealth lady.left big $$ and property to my dad and his brothers and sister.

one of my dad's brothers, he really needed the money.
my dad, didnt change his life one bit.

that's my goAL. when parents go, I don't want to care about any of their property. I want to build my own up enough that it not a pay day.

is that a decent goal to have Lennyr or should I just move back to the mountains sled every day and wait for the old man to kick the bucket?

follow my dreams ya know?

Good philosophy , dreams keep us motivated. I’ve spent a lot of time with and know a ton of very rich people , and the number one factor in most of their success stories is timing. Number 2 I believe is work ethic and motivation , equally. Gonna be a bit more of a challenge in the next few years , especially in Western Canada , to be able to enjoy the kind of income a lot of us came to expect in the last 20 years or so. Plus , go ahead and bash me for this , but the expectation in my mind of what hard work and sacrifice is , is a hell of a lot different in the minds of the young “entrepreneurs” than it has been in the past. Hope it works out for you, and others, but Canada is in a weird place right now.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good philosophy , dreams keep us motivated. I’ve spent a lot of time with and know a ton of very rich people , and the number one factor in most of their success stories is timing. Number 2 I believe is work ethic and motivation , equally. Gonna be a bit more of a challenge in the next few years , especially in Western Canada , to be able to enjoy the kind of income a lot of us came to expect in the last 20 years or so. Plus , go ahead and bash me for this , but the expectation in my mind of what hard work and sacrifice is , is a hell of a lot different in the minds of the young “entrepreneurs” than it has been in the past. Hope it works out for you, and others, but Canada is in a weird place right now.

haha you kinda missed my point. following your dreams is stupid some times IMO
some times you just need to do what is nessesary.

("follow my dreams ya know" was sarcastic, because my dream of sledding every day just makes me poor) lol

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The nyse dropped 7% in the first 5 minutes of trading this morning... They suspended the nyse for today. The Arabs couldn't come to any agreement at the OPEC meetings this weekend, and the Russians left the table. The Arabs have ramped up production and as a result, the price of oil is dropping, big time.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I told ya'll back in January that the stock market was going to crash.

gold budyy

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha you kinda missed my point. following your dreams is stupid some times IMO
some times you just need to do what is nessesary.

Agreed , but what you determine as necessary keeps changing as you move thru your earning years. Like I know a few older guys still working late in their lives cause they had their **** together , great investments , decent saving (invested) , ready for comfortable retirement , then a few years ago , poof it was gone , back to work. And it happened to a hell of a lot of smart , capable people who figured they knew what they were doing and they trusted the tried and true . Things look a hell of a lot different at 40 than they do at 50 or 60 , it’s amazing how much your perspective changes. Flip side , lots of others have made tons of money in downturns, usually the ones who can see something most can’t , and quite often they had available cash to work with opposed to borrowed $$$. Been lots of ups and downs in Canada/Alberta , but this one seems to have more challenges and facets than before to me.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed , but what you determine as necessary keeps changing as you move thru your earning years. Like I know a few older guys still working late in their lives cause they had their **** together , great investments , decent saving (invested) , ready for comfortable retirement , then a few years ago , poof it was gone , back to work. And it happened to a hell of a lot of smart , capable people who figured they knew what they were doing and they trusted the tried and true . Things look a hell of a lot different at 40 than they do at 50 or 60 , it’s amazing how much your perspective changes. Flip side , lots of others have made tons of money in downturns, usually the ones who can see something most can’t , and quite often they had available cash to work with opposed to borrowed $$$. Been lots of ups and downs in Canada/Alberta , but this one seems to have more challenges and facets than before to me.

my grandma worked until 87 and died at 88 a multi millionaire.

in Hebrew they don't even have a word for retirement. maybe that's why so many Jews are so wealthy? smart, good work ethic ext ext.

gram's favorite thing to do was work, same with my dad and sadly I've got those traits as well...lol

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn’t you say earlier you took 6 years and went sledding ?!! Lol
Lucky bugger !!!
Probably gramma didn’t do that ?
Work ethic is different for some I guess hey ?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn’t you say earlier you took 6 years and went sledding ?!! Lol
Lucky bugger !!!
Probably gramma didn’t do that ?
Work ethic is different for some I guess hey ?

grandma has big shoes to fill that's for sure.

who know's might just buy a Lil cabin and spend my time in the hills if the well paid rich guy thing doesn't work out...lol

Top Bottom