Negative Boost Question

sleslie

Reaction score
I just got my MCX low boost turbo installed on my 09 Nytro MTX and took it for its first run on the weekend. This is my first experience with a turbo and am super happy about how it turned out. My question is that on my boost gauge when i was idleing or just cruising along was showing about -12lbs boost pressure, when i hit the throttle everything seemed normal and my pressure would come up to approx. 9lbs which is where it should be i think. I was just wondering if something might not be right with so much negative boost or is this normal? I was riding in Golden at Quartz and Silent and it did the same on both days. Thanks

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Negative boost is normal, all 4 stroke motors create a vacume when ideling or not under load, I have a 09 Nytro with the 240 kit on it and it does the excact same thing

Apextenn

Reaction score
Ditto what he said a turbo will not creat boost intill it is spinning at a certain rpm usually 100000 and at idle their isnt enough exhaust to spin it that fast where as a supercharger is a mechanical air pump so even at idle it will create boost. This is why if you notice when you pin it their is a little bit of a lag intill the rpms get up then she is a rocket.

yami

Reaction score
negative 12 lbs seems excessive. i get a negative 3-5 lbs max.

sleslie

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure where the gauge is connected to, and unfortunately i am up in northern BC working for the next couple of weeks and won't be able to check until i get home. I just thought it was a lot of negative pressure when compared to the 9lbs or so i am getting at max throttle. Thanks for the responses so far.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Vacuum is displayed in inch pounds, so it really minimal actually. The range your running in is normal. Who's kit is it?

sleslie

Reaction score
Its a MC Express 180 kit installed by my dealer in west central Alberta. The install was great and it seems to run like a dream, just seemed to me like a lot of negative pressure but maybe thats the way its supposed to be, it is my first experience with a turbo.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a MC Express 180 kit installed by my dealer in west central Alberta. The install was great and it seems to run like a dream, just seemed to me like a lot of negative pressure but maybe thats the way its supposed to be, it is my first experience with a turbo.

its normal All 4 strokes sled bikes cars make vacume at idle and 12 lbs of vacume is normal. I have a stage 2 nitro and a low boost nitro. Both the same vacume

Top Bottom