Needing Advice.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a sled $6000
Drive to Golden 6hrs
time on sled 6km's

Pick up a sled (RT 1000) with a motor said to have beem rebuilt by RPM Motorsports in Whitecourt and the sled checked over by Martin Motorsports in Edmonton to be sure all was working well.

Everything seemed great as the sled was unloaded. Started second pull. Warmed up in the parking lot. Got dressed. Started up the trail. Somewhere around about 4km the sled bogged. Quick loss of power and all of a sudden the track locked up. Sled wont pull over so we pulled the belt and towed it down.

Guessing I seized a motor. Possible oil injection failure?

Anyways looking for some recommendations on who to take it to to be checked and rebuilt?

Thanks for any help.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a sled $6000
Drive to Golden 6hrs
time on sled 6km's

Pick up a sled (RT 1000) with a motor said to have beem rebuilt by RPM Motorsports in Whitecourt and the sled checked over by Martin Motorsports in Edmonton to be sure all was working well.

Everything seemed great as the sled was unloaded. Started second pull. Warmed up in the parking lot. Got dressed. Started up the trail. Somewhere around about 4km the sled bogged. Quick loss of power and all of a sudden the track locked up. Sled wont pull over so we pulled the belt and towed it down.

Anyways looking for some recommendations on who to take it to to be checked and rebuilt?

Thanks for any help.

Could be an air leak as well (leaned out and burnt up). Have to pull head and cylinder maybe and look at piston. Pull pipe and y-pipe and look into ports at least. Talk to Deano670 on here, he's seen a few motors and can maybe help you... :D

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a sled $6000
Drive to Golden 6hrs
time on sled 6km's

Thanks for any help.

id say call randy , he should rebuild it for you if not youll know what kind of place rpm is , iv heard some good things from there some not so good , my advice is talk to randy ,

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hate to say it but Im not all that mechanically inclined. Im really hoping its the top end and not the crank.

Looking for a shop to get it to that will not rake me over the coals and get it back up and running..

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with Randy at RPM and he sounds like a stand up guy.

Says he told the person (Dont want to say names yet) that had the top end put in that from the damage on the pistons it looked like the oil pump wasnt working properly and that the first few tanks of fuel should be mixed and the pump checked.

Randy wants to help me out and fix the sled at the best price he can.

xp mountainrider

Reaction score
Thanks.

Hate to say it but Im not all that mechanically inclined. Im really hoping its the top end and not the crank.

Looking for a shop to get it to that will not rake me over the coals and get it back up and running..

I would take it to Tom at Motts Machine in St Albert, Very good work and he will not rake you over the Coals. I bet alot of Guys on here will agree with that.

Motts Machine # 780-418-5595

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take it Trackside in Olds, Alberta. It is likely on your way back or to Golden. Olds does good work on sleds. Good luck.

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id say call randy , he should rebuild it for you if not youll know what kind of place rpm is , iv heard some good things from there some not so good , my advice is talk to randy ,

This situation has nothing to do with Randy. He simply assembled the engine with new parts on the bench. Once the engine was installed the set up and start up was done by Martin equipment. They were told to verify the oiling system was working and ensured ME it was.
I believe Martin should step up to the plate.
Randy Matthews and RPM are 100% stand up!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this situation has nothing to do with randy. He simply assembled the engine with new parts on the bench. Once the engine was installed the set up and start up was done by martin equipment. They were told to verify the oiling system was working and ensured me it was.
I believe martin should step up to the plate.
Randy matthews and rpm are 100% stand up!

hmmmmmm, maybe worth randy or you giving martins a call?? Who has the work order from martins?? Just askin'...... Might be worth the call, for metalfusion's sake........:(

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Bought a sled $6000
Drive to Golden 6hrs
time on sled 6km's

Thanks for any help.

Man that sucks.I myself have been in that situation.Good luck with the repairs

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Martin needs to step up, they were paid good money to ensure the motor was running properly. It obviously wasn't.

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmm, maybe worth randy or you giving martins a call?? Who has the work order from martins?? Just askin'...... Might be worth the call, for metalfusion's sake........:(

He will be giving Gerry a call. Randy IMO has nothing to do with this. All he did was assemble the motor for 162WIZZY as a favour. did not install, setup or have anything to do with the motor after that. Nor was any warranty implied. He told 162WIZZY that it looked like it ran out of oil so he took it to Gerry at Martin to make sure it was good to go. Randy is a good guy. He has always helped me when I needed it. THIS IS MARTIN MOTOR SPORTS PROBLEM.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He will be giving Gerry a call. Randy IMO has nothing to do with this. All he did was assemble the motor for 162WIZZY as a favour. did not install, setup or have anything to do with the motor after that. Nor was any warranty implied. He told 162WIZZY that it looked like it ran out of oil so he took it to Gerry at Martin to make sure it was good to go. Randy is a good guy. He has always helped me when I needed it. THIS IS MARTIN MOTOR SPORTS PROBLEM.

I'll second everything he said.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be Martins problem but the guy that sold it should produce the bill as a record for Martin to act on.

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be Martins problem but the guy that sold it should produce the bill as a record for Martin to act on.

That's exactly what is going to happen! Holding the work order that says everything was ok. I'll get it to him.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree it is martins issue however....it is a motor...it could have been working perfectly fine when it left martin. and who knows the oil pump could ahve called it quits in 6km easy. skidoos do weird things. kind of need to know what failed to really know whats up..

for instance...oil pump not bled correctly---> martin

piston ring/bearing internal engine problem might be rpms issue. its hard to say without knowing whats wrong with the motor.

let me know what gerry says. really curious :D had a similar issue to this and was hung out to dry with a bill.

Top Bottom