Need some help

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have the opportunity to purchase a Yamaha Big Bear 400 ( ex conservation officer machine ). Not exactly sure of the year, however I do believe it to be early 2000ish. The machine starts and idles well but bogs heavily and backfires when the throttle is depressed and sometimes stalls. If the rpms are brought up by fooling with the throttle lever it will wind right up. I looked at the carburator and it has one adjustment screw attached to what looks like an electronic module ( no wiring attached to this module ). Anyone ever experience an issue as such and is this machine reliable and dependable? I can get it for a decent price. Should I buy it and hope for a cheap repair or run with lights and siren on? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks and have a great day!

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its been sitting, the main jet (and carb circuits) are probably plugged up. Might get lucky running some Sea Foam through 'er, but likely you'll need to R&R the carb and clean properly. The Bears are good reliable machines. No speed demon or powerhouse, but should run a long time.

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
If its been sitting, the main jet (and carb circuits) are probably plugged up. Might get lucky running some Sea Foam through 'er, but likely you'll need to R&R the carb and clean properly. The Bears are good reliable machines. No speed demon or powerhouse, but should run a long time.
Thanks for the reply Bigblack. I KNOW it has been sitting for a long time. Where can I get SEA FOAM? I am willing to try anything as the price for this machine is in my budget if minimal repairs are only needed.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which FWL office is it from a good friend of mine is a fish cop and I might be able to find out the history if you don't already know it.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bigblack. I KNOW it has been sitting for a long time. Where can I get SEA FOAM? I am willing to try anything as the price for this machine is in my budget if minimal repairs are only needed.

Napa or any auto parts store should have it!

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Which FWL office is it from a good friend of mine is a fish cop and I might be able to find out the history if you don't already know it.
Not sure Keith..... It has come to auction and I have placed an interest in it. Thanks for your response.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Definately sounds like a dirty carb.. pull the bottom off it and clean out the jets is where i would start,,And maybe put a inline fuel filter to,

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good old quad! I wouldn't pay any more than 1200$ for it though.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't adjust anything, lack of use is hard on batteries and carbs .New fuel hates sitting for long,

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Definately sounds like a dirty carb.. pull the bottom off it and clean out the jets is where i would start,,And maybe put a inline fuel filter to,
Thanks for the reply Medler. So far it seems a carb issue from the responses. Maybe not a bad investment for me?

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Don't adjust anything, lack of use is hard on batteries and carbs .New fuel hates sitting for long,
Hmmmm..... Starting to sound like possibly a minor repair and maybe worth the purchase. This site is so informative... Thanks all

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carb cleaning.
When running pull choke part way out and motor will probably rev up .
Starving for fuel.
I have a old one for the kids and a great old quad.
A rear spring or shock upgrade helps the rear .
The stock one is very week. IMO

RCMP DAD

Reaction score
Carb cleaning.
When running pull choke part way out and motor will probably rev up .
Starving for fuel.
I have a old one for the kids and a great old quad.
A rear spring or shock upgrade helps the rear .
The stock one is very week. IMO

Thanks for the reply pfi572. I'll try the choke. I never tested it as of yet. I'm hoping to be the proud owner of this machine and possibly hanging out with some of you this spring/summer. Cheers

Top Bottom