MY13 Pro RMK stock clutching question

ken.gee

Reaction score
Hoping somebody with clutching knowledge can help me out.

Brought my clutches for my 2013 Pro RMK 800 into the dealership last week to get cleaned (since I don't yet have the right tools/knowledge). After a bit of a hang-up, they were cleaned and returned. I was told that the spring in the primary looked to be bulging a little, and was given a complimentary backup to use as a spare for my earlier troubles.

I reinstalled the clutches using the torque specs from my 2012 manual. Brought the sled to Revelstoke for a trip, and as soon as the machine warmed up, she squealed. She squealed 100% of the time at idle when she was warm. Worse yet, at one point I tried starting the machine and I believe the belt was still engaged in the clutch (based on the lurching and how hard it was to pull over). Once it cooled down it seemed fine. I noticed on a long climb that I was pulling 8450 RPM. It was also very sluggish a few times going from idle to WOT, even stalling once.

Not sure where to start...I brought the machine into the dealership, but they won't have time to look at it for a while (so I might pick it up and try my hand at it). It looked like he marked the clutch faces with a permanent marker, so if I had to guess I'd say he put it back together properly.

Could this simply be a belt deflection issue, or is it more of an alignment or other issue?

Really appreciate all the help I've been getting here so far! Hopefully I'll be able to return the favour in due time.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no clutching guru but I feel the lurching would be because the two primary sheaves are closer together then they should be

ken.gee

Reaction score
I'm no clutching guru but I feel the lurching would be because the two primary sheaves are closer together then they should be
That was my first instinct as well (maybe a forgotten washer when cleaning it), especially after seeing belt marks on the sheaves. However, after reading about deflection, I'm wondering if it's just a simple issue? Thanks for your reply btw!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you installed the secondary did you install it with the shims exactly as they were. if you did I feel its an deflection issue. that little set screw and nut on the secondary. loosen it and screw the set screw in a bit. rotate the secondary a couple times to set the belt and see how the defection is. the belt should be about 1/8" above the shives.

ken.gee

Reaction score
when you installed the secondary did you install it with the shims exactly as they were. if you did I feel its an deflection issue. that little set screw and nut on the secondary. loosen it and screw the set screw in a bit. rotate the secondary a couple times to set the belt and see how the defection is. the belt should be about 1/8" above the shives.
I installed the retaining bolts for both clutches exactly as they came off...that I am sure of. I'll definitely have to adjust the deflection!

ken.gee

Reaction score
The dealer called me and here's the verdict: belt deflection was wrong, and the alignment was a little off. Not sure why the alignment would be off since I've never played with motor mounts or anything...but at this point it doesn't matter. They only charged me .5 hr though, which is good considering the shop labour rate is $170/hr.

Huge thanks to everyone who replied!

Top Bottom