need some advice please

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i got rid of my full mod apex two seasons ago (didnt ride last season) and i miss the sport way to much to stay out of it lol, so im thinking of buying a t-m8. been keeping an eye out for a little while and two sleds recently have caught my eye one is a 2010 m8 162 with a pump gas twisted kit and the other is a 2007 162 also with a pump gas twisted kit. the 07 very recently had a full top/bottom end rebuild by brent linderman (supposedly there are receipts) and also a new bdx diamond drive with the light weight chromoly shaft. that sled comes with a bunch of spare parts, cover etc and i think i could maybe get it for 5000, the 2010 has 2200 kms on it, new diamond drive, has a timbersled rear skid with fox float 3s all around, upgraded skis etc and i can get it for 7000. which do you figure is the better deal, any major differences between years ?

snowmobile for sale | snowmobiles | Cranbrook | Kijiji

2007 TURBO M8 | snowmobiles | Calgary | Kijiji

i appreciate any input, thanks !

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you give us a call, Mark @ Ralph's Motorsports can go over some of the differences with you 403-291-4868.

That is some good customer service right there. Well done.

Just looking at them from a glance, I noticed that the 2007 has 57/63 written on the DD case, those are the stock gears from the 2010+ M8s, personally I would think that thing should be running a 60/60 set up if its in the ballpark of 200 HP at elevation, might be a question for the owner if you are leaning that way.

Personally I think the 2010 is the better deal just because its 3 yrs newer, but the 07 is still good value if it runs good. Turbos can be great or they can be such a PITA, all just depends. Definitely need a compression/leak down on both of them, I would buy an inspection cam and send it down the cylinders on both, find out max boost they both ran etc. Deto marks in the head/on piston and walls might show up and you'll know if any high boost on cheap fuel scenarios occurred. Probably not going to see that on the 07 if it was recently done, and if the 07 was recently rebuilt and you can call Brent and confirm it, probably pick his brain on the set up as well.

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input modman ! i have a couple bore scopes, definitely agree with you on checking it out that way, i think id also compression test quick while i was at it. also can certainly agree that turbos can be a real pain the behind, my apex was a demonic possessed sob lol but there are reasons why, we wont get into that haha. the gearing is that a simple thing to replace a gear or not so much it has to come as a dd complete kit ?

That is some good customer service right there. Well done.

Just looking at them from a glance, I noticed that the 2007 has 57/63 written on the DD case, those are the stock gears from the 2010+ M8s, personally I would think that thing should be running a 60/60 set up if its in the ballpark of 200 HP at elevation, might be a question for the owner if you are leaning that way.

Personally I think the 2010 is the better deal just because its 3 yrs newer, but the 07 is still good value if it runs good. Turbos can be great or they can be such a PITA, all just depends. Definitely need a compression/leak down on both of them, I would buy an inspection cam and send it down the cylinders on both, find out max boost they both ran etc. Deto marks in the head/on piston and walls might show up and you'll know if any high boost on cheap fuel scenarios occurred. Probably not going to see that on the 07 if it was recently done, and if the 07 was recently rebuilt and you can call Brent and confirm it, probably pick his brain on the set up as well.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input modman ! i have a couple bore scopes, definitely agree with you on checking it out that way, i think id also compression test quick while i was at it. also can certainly agree that turbos can be a real pain the behind, my apex was a demonic possessed sob lol but there are reasons why, we wont get into that haha. the gearing is that a simple thing to replace a gear or not so much it has to come as a dd complete kit ?

You just buy the gear sets, they about $200, Have to split DD to get the other gears out. Not a big deal

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was also wondering what the take on m1000 pump gas turbod sleds is.... ive heard they are a real pig to handle and not nearly as reliable as an m8, had crank and clutching issues ? Just was curious cause this seemed life a pretty wikid deal

2008 Arctic Cat M1000 162 | snowmobiles | Nelson | Kijiji

Same chassis as the M8, dont see why guys say its different. The 1000 has loads more torque, lots of guys can't handle it all day, it pulls constantly, mayb this is why they say it handles different. the 2008 had a few crank issues (not that bad really though), not like other brands and it wasn't a widespread, rampant issue. Don't rev it past about 7700, will be fine. 2009 and up had updated crank. Clutching issues - again, not sure what the "issue" is, probably some backyard mechanic who can't tune properly - can be overcome really easy.

That tm10000 is at Main Jet, the Seminoffs are good people, and they know how to make sh!t run. Somewhere around here I have some old glossy pics of them boys running in a couple of the BCSF events years ago. You could call them about that sled, they would be straight with ya about condition and operation.

Top Bottom