Need opinions buying kids machine

mudhunter

Reaction score
We have this 90 cc machine and I'm impressed where it will go... But what I'm wondering is, what machine should I get a twelve year old...

I'm not sure of the legal end but she needs a 4x4.... I just don't want to give her too much machine....

(got a good ride in today)
Mudhunter

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have this 90 cc machine and I'm impressed where it will go... But what I'm wondering is, what machine should I get a twelve year old...

I'm not sure of the legal end but she needs a 4x4.... I just don't want to give her too much machine....

(got a good ride in today)
Mudhunter

both of my boys started on 90cc's at 12 I put my oldest on a 350 honda 4x4 , worked out great , my youngest boy is now 11 and this year he will be riding a raptor 250 , my opinion is a 350 yammy , light weight and not over powered , they stopped making the honda 350 and replaced it with the 420 , a little heavy for a kid

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Polaris Hawkeye 300 is a pretty descent lil 4x4. I have seen them around for $3200 for a 3 year old machine.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Polaris Hawkeye 300 is a pretty descent lil 4x4. I have seen them around for $3200 for a 3 year old machine.

We had an 07 Hawkeye, it was a good light little machine that would chug its way through anything.
We got rid of it cause it was under powered once my wife got more experience but it would be a good machine for a kid.

mudhunter

Reaction score
Cool.... I haven't heard of the Hawkeye... I'll do some research....

Thanks
Mudhunter

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the older smaller Suzuki KQ 250-300 4x4, they were under powered and very heavy. Even with the super-lo they were still a dog,.. used to have a '99 300 4x4 and hated it.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we bought a 06 hawkeye 300 for my daughter and it's worked out great so far not a lot of top end which we liked but goes everwhere we go and gets stuck less than my 800 lol

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
My son's third quad was a Yammy 350, their smallest utility 4x4 quad, he was 11. Keeping in mind that he never goes off on his own, is always behind his dad or another adult in our group and has been riding trails in the foothills and mountains since he was 7 when he had a 80 yammy. In between he rode a 125 for 3 summers. It depends on howmuch experience she has and how you think she will be able to handle a larger machine. Son is 14 now and we moved him up to a Yammy 450, basically the same machine size wise.

mudhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions.. I agree on Yamaha, I've wrenched a bit on my own. And I find them not too bad to work on.. Cool... I still have to decide on if its this year or next... I'll have to see what's out there.

Mudhunter

Top Bottom