Need mother's advice, about my 9mth son.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 9mth old son sometimes clicks or pops his jaw when he's talking (baby talk). He has no teeth yet but is teething. Girlfriend and I are worried and wonder if any other mothers know anything about this. thanks

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most speech development problems will not appear until children are a little older - 2 or more. At 9 months most noises made have little control component to the articulators used to produce the sound. If worried you should contact a speech and language pathologist.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most speech development problems will not appear until children are a little older - 2 or more. At 9 months most noises made have little control component to the articulators used to produce the sound. If worried you should contact a speech and language pathologist.

Good call, your regular doctor can hook you up. Don't take no for an answer if you know something is wrong keep on pursuing this until results are obtained to your satisfaction. The gut is almost always right.

dirtygirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.safetybuilders.com
My son's joints did a lot of popping and clicking when he was little too. Their bones are very soft in the first couple of years and we were told it was normal joint alignments as the bones grew. Every couple of weeks we'd notice an increase and then is would disappear as fast as it showed up. No problems since. Well unless you count the odd ache and pain in the joints and bones but those are growing pains they don't last long and they are very intense. I remember them all to well! My son is nine and 5'2" size 9 Men's shoes so again I know the issue. The Doctor's agree.

Now this is motherly experience talking only so don't take it as gospel for your child. Always best to check with the Doctor at the next appointment.

True TMJ is usually caused by a traumatic jolt to the upper body, like whiplash, I know I've suffered that since a car accident in 2006. My jaw only cracks when I try to force it into place and when it has been over taxed like chewing gum.

Bottom line it's probably not serious but always better to be safe than sorry and mention it at the next visit to the doctor. If it causes the child pain make an appointment asap.

Good Luck!

Just a mom, but rarely wrong!:p

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughter got TMJ when the dentist pulled her wisdom teeth. She went to a chiropractor to get it fixed. But it has to be a chiropractor who uses the activator method.

Top Bottom