need more power for my scrambler

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a pipe for my scrambler, seen a couple at the snow and mud camp out and they all looked pretty good. will it give it alot more power, and was wondering around how much its going to cost me. what other modification can i do to get more power. im not to concernd with top speed but want more low end power. thanks

Dylan.B

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pipes are typically in the 300$ range give or take 50$ on average.

intakes help as well like a uni or K&N but i feel they should be used in conjunction with a pipe anyways.

also a cam can wake up bottom end

garryese might be a good guy to talk to about scramblers

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What have you done with your Scrambler so far? A 400 or 500? What kind of riding do you do? Without knowing where you at, it's tough to tell you where to go or how to get there.:d

A $25 spring and setting up the secondary will get you doing wheelies from a dead stop. Out-of-the-hole performance is all in the clutching and is cheap to do.

If you have a 400 you only need do three things: 1) pay off the credit card, 2) decide how much power you can afford, and 3) call Rick Ritter @ Ritter Cycle Racing. He will give you more power where you want it then the chassis can handle.

If you have a 500, power can be made but you have to get around a poorly engineered head which no amount of porting work can fix. T4 or Aaen pipe, Web Cam, and a HPD air box mod all help low and mid range power significantly if all three are done together; if you do two of the three then modest gains are found. There is also a 600 big bore and a 626 big bore/stroker kits available. Nitrous up to 20hp works on the 500 as well. Stay away from the TMX carb that is out there; it is great for mid to high end power but just kills the bottom end.

You should have stopped in at the camp out. I would have let you ride both the Scramblers in my Sig and then given you a beer!:)

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he is my firend he rides fast trails and goes thorugh the mud soemtimes and he already has a spring
what other mods could he do?
and he cant have a beer LOL he is only 15

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks leonard and garryese. i wish i would of come over and seen your scramblers. my scramblers all stock except for the clutch spring. im sure i will be getting a pipe (probably aaen), but im very interested in the web cam. Is it hard to install? aproximatly how much does it cost? will it make the quad any less reliable? and do you know who sells them? I know its a lot of questions but if you could answer any it is apreciated
Thanks

Dylan.B

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail riding with some mud is pretty much what my machine is set up for. So, this is my suggestions:

Bear claw tires (turn them around if going to sand dunes)
Aaen Pipe
Web Cam
K&n air filter
White polaris primary spring
Secondary set to 2-2
1-1/4 belt deflection (remove shims in secondary)
Fine tune clutch with weights

Web cams is the only manufacture of an aftermarket cam for the 500 engine. So, order the cam from Aaen when you order the pipe. Cam replacement invovles removing the front fenders and opening the engine up, so it does require reasonable mechanical skills and tools.

Jetting will be close after the cam and pipe is installed, but needs to be checked.

After you get a feel for the changes, try removing the air filter lid and running it. If you like the power increase then get a the HPD air box lid mod. You need to rejet with this mod and fine tune the clutch again.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks again garryese for all the great information. I will definatly be looking into all the mods suggested. Do you order the aaen pipe and web cam off their website?
thanks
Dylan.B

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks again garryese for all the great information. I will definatly be looking into all the mods suggested. Do you order the aaen pipe and web cam off their website?
thanks
Dylan.B

You can use the order form on the web site, but I recommend you phone them; They are great people to deal with.

If you decide you want to try the Aaen carb setup (which when added to the pipe and cam is the stage 3 kit) I have one that I would sell to you for cheap. The problem with the carb is it kills the bottom end which you can clutch around, but you'll end up looking at the sky instead of the trees you are trying to avoid. Much more suited for sand dunes than trail riding.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got the pipe and K&N filter,no cam yet but it goes good,Gary what is this hpd airbox mod and where do I find one?The belt deflection make much dif and do I need a tool for that?I love my Scrambler but wish it would come out in a 700 or 800,Thanks for the help.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The HPD (Hotseat Performance) airbox lid mod is a replacement snorkle for the lid. It improves air flow in a manner that does not lose the air box vaccum (which is needed for the carb to operate correctly). I believe Cycle Works is a dealer but HPD has an online store (discount if you are a memeber of Gen3USA) See it here -->

Clutching is the key to cheap power and getting the power to the ground. Belt deflection is a free adjustment and can drastically improve the power to the ground. Out of the crate Polaris belts have excessive belt deflection even by their own specs. Set the belt deflection to somewhere between 1" and 1-1/4"; as tight as you can get it and still be able to get it in gear without excessive grinding and without creeping at idle. Deflection is adjusted by removing shims between the sheeves on the secondary. Proper deflection gives you a better effective gear ratio at launch. No special tools to remove the secondary but requires two people to put it back together (one to compress the helix/spring and one to install the snapring). Replacing the OEM secondary with a Team roller seconday is a great upgrade but fairly pricy.

A 700 or 800 in that chassis would be nuts. If insane is more your thing, you could look on ebay for a 400 engine. It bolts in and can be worked up to 75hp without sitting on a time bomb. That is 20+ more HP than the 800 and will lighten the machine instead of making it heavier.;)

boiler146

Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the Black and White on Scamblers this is great info for tuning. Is there anything I can do for replacement shocks besides stock??

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Works Ultracross Series rear shocks are still available for Scrambler.

2001-2003 Scramblers came with rebuildable Fox Shocks, but they are getting harder to find and are no longer available through a Polaris dealer. You can sometimes find them on ebay or craigslist.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the awsome info Gary,If I go with that airbox do I need to rejet,I ride from sea level to 4000 ft?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The air box mod will help it breath quite a bit better, so unless you are running fat now there is a good chance you will be re-jetting.

Top Bottom