Need input - Extended warranty?

Riskinator

Reaction score
Hello,

I am picking up my new '09 RZR LE on Friday. The dealership informed me about the option of buying extended warranty (by a 3rd party company not Polaris). Coverage for 3 years bumper to bumper is something like $1,500. Question: Would you buy it? Is the "insurance" policy worth it? I plan to ride in the mountains, safely but spirited at times.

Thanks in advance for your help.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the extended warranty for my Sportsman... Granted it wasn`t $1500.00 but I personally have made good use of it so far ie: two rear CV`s, two front CV`s, two injectors, crank sensor plus all the labour to in stall all of this.. At this point I figure I made out ok...

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stay away from yamaha warrenty..its a rip off..they can never seem to find the "canada"rep..been trying to get ahold of a yammi rep since last august.no luck..hes always away from the phone..leave me your number and i will call you back,,,ya bullsh!t:rant:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am picking up my new '09 RZR LE on Friday. The dealership informed me about the option of buying extended warranty (by a 3rd party company not Polaris). Coverage for 3 years bumper to bumper is something like $1,500. Question: Would you buy it? Is the "insurance" policy worth it? I plan to ride in the mountains, safely but spirited at times.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Personally, i think it may be worth it and it may not, heres my take on it

it is worth it if-

it is not to pro-rated. and there is not a deductable to pay everytime you get a claim.

make sure u know what is and isnt covered. is it transferable if u sell the unit?
if your unit is sold or stolen, can you get money back for unused portion?

be very cautious, warranty in a nut shell covers two things-

1- something put together wrong
2- or an obliviously failed part caused by something put together wrong or a manufacturers defect, which causes the part to fail

BE WARE OF THE GREY AREA---ITS BIGGGGG....

If i sold Razors, which i unfortunately don't, I would tell u what i tell my customers,
firstly its your money it your choice,
2ndly most failures happen (if at all) in the warranty period.
3rdly if the happen within a reasonable amount of time out of the regular warranty period, and it is obliviously - a legitimate warranty issue- we will do our very best to try to warranty for u.
Should that not happen, at the least we would help you out with discounted parts and labour to look after u which is our main concern,

Dont get me wrong the parts for our 'toys" are not cheap, and warranty does have its place, but its like getting a flat tire, maybe it will never happen or maybe u ll get a lemon....For my I want to get the most for my money and 1500 would by alot of Gibbys or bling for the quad or mustang or some shiny's for the wife(which is never a bad thing) so i would personally pass. and ask ur dealer to step up and agree that he will offer u a good deal if something goes south and will do his best to look after u. thats what its all about, cause as a dealer I know my customers can buy anywhere, its the respect and honesty as well as my efforts to keep them on the trail that keeps them coming back.....

Good Luck
have fun with the new ride

Terry

mudbug

Reaction score
Here's the thing, you get a 6 month warranty with the unit when you buy it which is bumper to bumper. The dealer should be able to offer you another 6 month's or a year at a reasonable price. Rule of thumb is, if you have major problem's in the first six month's you will alway's have problems with the unit.
Some dealer's will let you buy more warranty before the six month period is up. So you can gauge your unit on problems in that time period and maybe opt for more warranty.
When I bought my polaris from Cycle works west I got the six months factory
warranty and they kicked in another 18 months warranty on top for a total of 2 years. Except for 2 minor issues after 1200 km I really have'nt used the warranty, and the dealer was exceptional in dealing with the issues.
My 2 cents
and if you are opting for more warranty stay a way from Sal a 3rd party offering warranty, they are really hard to deal with stayu with the polaris warranty if you can for the extented. :d:d:d

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've wasted quite a bit of money over the years on extended warranty. Bought a used motor home two falls ago from an RV dealer. He sucked me into a $2,800.00 extended warranty policy. Last spring the lino was cracked and there were other issue to fix. Cost me $1,500.00 to fix everything because the extended warranty does not cover that stuff. :mad: I will never spend another cent on extended warranty.

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI - Polaris's third party warrenty coverage is through GE.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question, I was thinking the same thing, I just got a Teryx with 6 mth warranty and was told if I want extended it must be bought before the 5th month is over so we,ll see in 5 months.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have it on my rzr i will let you know what i think it gets dropped off for approx 2k dammage axle diff tie rod and itp rim all dammaged from axle blowing up while climbing a hill

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1 yr extended on my Yamaha grizzly 700 for $200 and have never needed it.I only purchased it because it was a promotion but I usually pass on extended warranties

Top Bottom