Need Help with common law seperation

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll get to keep your ch!t you had before you got together,anything else she's entitled to half,I think with the exception of gifts.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i think you get the half that you still owe money on. She gets the half with clear title ;)

my buddy went to see every good divorce lawyer he could for the free initial consultation. Once they see you once, they cannot represent her as it is a conflict of interest. Kinda stack the deck a little.

wow, never thought of that......... That's goooood.;)

W

woodies

best start selling stuff to your buddies on the quiet. and hide the cash dude!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sad but true....Alberta common-law law states after 90 days of co-habitation, she gets half of the gain.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup sell your toys to buddies for a buck a piece and split cash from sale with her. That way everything is legal and you're still giving her half.
It is just alot smaller half, once everything is done and overwith go pick your toys up from your buddies houses.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
PM for the name of an AWESOME female lawyer....when I divorced my ex-wife wanted to move back to the east coast with my two children. the first two lawers I saw told me not to bother fighting it as it would just cost me money and make me look bad in the eyes of the court...
In the end she was NOT allowed to relocate the children outside a 100km radius of edmonton (even though I was willing to accept Calgary, the court said no) we sold the house paid off debt and split the remaining 50/50. she moved back east and I have custody of my 2 children.
It would be ideal if you could convince her that lawyers get more than most clients in the end and the more you can settle out of court the better...unless there are children involved...if so Lawyer-up.

Bogger:beer:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM for the name of an AWESOME female lawyer....when I divorced my ex-wife wanted to move back to the east coast with my two children. the first two lawers I saw told me not to bother fighting it as it would just cost me money and make me look bad in the eyes of the court...
In the end she was NOT allowed to relocate the children outside a 100km radius of edmonton (even though I was willing to accept Calgary, the court said no) we sold the house paid off debt and split the remaining 50/50. she moved back east and I have custody of my 2 children.
It would be ideal if you could convince her that lawyers get more than most clients in the end and the more you can settle out of court the better...unless there are children involved...if so Lawyer-up.

Bogger:beer:

I suggest to get a lawyer, or give in and give her everything...
my divorce cost me over $50,000.00. with child assessment reports
lawyers and disbursements (I did not know that photocopying and stamps could cost so much) !!
She even got half of the house that I paid for..
she took my son and moved out east and I had to pay for airfare to see him.
fortunately he is now 12 and has made up his own mind and is living with me.
scares the SH$t out of you when you think of getting married again.:nono:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True enough that I was able to keep what I had before entering into wedded bliss !!
but it did not add up to much since I scrimped and saved to buy a nice house for the two of us then purchased the house that she "liked" and then I moved out after a year and back with mom and dad..
while she was living in my house with her new boyfriend (her boss).
while I still needed to pay half the bills.
OKAY RANT OVER....:rant::beer::beer::beer:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LEAVE THE HOUSE !!
you will be labeled as leaving and won't be allowed back in..
even if its in your name.:cool:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked my divorce. Used one of those Divorce kits. In the initial steps, issues of children and support are taken care of there. Then it goes into splitting of assets. We just split everything up the middle, and if there was something one of us needed that the other didn't have we figured that out, especially since the kids are involved. We still horse trade back and forth, firewood, bedding, furniture, so the kids have comfort in both places. With child support, there was a set number based upon wages that determines what the ex husband will pay. I opted for less than the designated amount. To make sure they have a quality of life with my ex, he pays a little less child support to me, so he can have enough money to do things with the kids while he has them. They see him during the week for a few hours, and sleep at home, then on the weekend they sleep over one or two nights. Some go to his home, some stay, it's all up to the kids. Usually we end up with two kids and he ends up with two kids so both of us have kids for weekends. Gives the big one's a break from the little ones! If there is something special on either side, like family visiting, we make sure the kids have time to visit with extended family. We usually do Christmas eve at my house, then the kids are picked up at 11:00am for Christmas day with their dad. I look after their dental as My husband has us on his dental and medical. My ex is very grateful for that so he gives my husband things like plywood, light fixtures, and tools. He even brought a back hoe over to our house to do some excavating.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked my divorce. Used one of those Divorce kits. In the initial steps, issues of children and support are taken care of there. Then it goes into splitting of assets. We just split everything up the middle, and if there was something one of us needed that the other didn't have we figured that out, especially since the kids are involved. We still horse trade back and forth, firewood, bedding, furniture, so the kids have comfort in both places. With child support, there was a set number based upon wages that determines what the ex husband will pay. I opted for less than the designated amount. To make sure they have a quality of life with my ex, he pays a little less child support to me, so he can have enough money to do things with the kids while he has them. They see him during the week for a few hours, and sleep at home, then on the weekend they sleep over one or two nights. Some go to his home, some stay, it's all up to the kids. Usually we end up with two kids and he ends up with two kids so both of us have kids for weekends. Gives the big one's a break from the little ones! If there is something special on either side, like family visiting, we make sure the kids have time to visit with extended family. We usually do Christmas eve at my house, then the kids are picked up at 11:00am for Christmas day with their dad. I look after their dental as My husband has us on his dental and medical. My ex is very grateful for that so he gives my husband things like plywood, light fixtures, and tools. He even brought a back hoe over to our house to do some excavating.

Mom, your one in a million !!
I agree, what's best for the kids come first.:)

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Personally for me, the best thing that happened was for my ex wife to move out east. But it really has taken a toll on our son. Having to fly back and forth to visit. actually he is leaving to vist her on Friday for Spring Break..
Holidays are really tough ! as airfare is extra expensive on holidays.:(
which only cuts into the quality of life for everyone concerned..

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally for me, the best thing that happened was for my ex wife to move out east. But it really has taken a toll on our son. Having to fly back and forth to visit. actually he is leaving to vist her on Friday for Spring Break..

That would be difficult. I think I would lose my mind if they flew someplace far away. When my kids are away for more than one sleep, I tend to stalk them. My ex is used to this now. I pop in and check things out to make sure everything is ok. Sometimes we end up at the same function like a Canada day celebration, so we all just sit together. Usually my ex and my husband end up chatting about work so I participate in the activities with the kids. Mom the stalker is the family joke. I even have binoculars!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

that is my only concern with having the ex at a distance as well....makes traveling expensive, but that is on her as she chose to move. But due to this I get "token" child support....funny how when the kids were with her durring the process she needed $2500 a month from me...yet now that they live with me perminantly $200 a month should be alright because she has to pay for travel.....hard on the kids having her so far away but selfishly I like the idea

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is my only concern with having the ex at a distance as well....makes traveling expensive, but that is on her as she chose to move. But due to this I get "token" child support....funny how when the kids were with her durring the process she needed $2500 a month from me...yet now that they live with me perminantly $200 a month should be alright because she has to pay for travel.....hard on the kids having her so far away but selfishly I like the idea

My ex decided to move away, but I was ordered to pay for airfare.
at least it was in reservation of child support...
now that our son lives with me, it is reversed as she is paying for airfare
and I have made the decision not to go after child support..
even though she has a dual income family and makes a lot more than I do.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While divorce can be hard on kids, I have found it can create a villiage type experience for them too. This is kind of weird but here goes:
My husband has an ex from his first marriage, they had 3 kids all adults now. She had one more child, who my daughter is best friends with. Every Thursday my husbands first ex wife comes over with her daughter (not my husband's) for music lessons. We visit after so the kids have time to play. They do sleep overs and stuff. If my ex is running late I pop my biological kids off ant My husbands ex wife's because they live quite close together. My husband's ex wife is giving my ex husband a horse for my biological kids. My husband's ex wife liked the idea of how we homeschooled, So she started homeschooling her daughter. We share curriculum materials and trade services back and forth. If we go to church on Christmas eve, My husbands ex and her husband and all of her kids, (my step kids) all go at the same time to share that together.
My husband has a second ex wife he was married to for not even a year kind of an oopsie thing. Her daughter (not my husband's) was injured at a basket ball game, and the coach of her team (not my kid's coach) asked if I would take her to the doctor. So I was mom for a day to her.
My step kids cousins (on their mom's side) love the kids and I so when they come to town they come to our house and visit and consider us family.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While divorce can be hard on kids, I have found it can create a villiage type experience for them too. This is kind of weird but here goes:
My husband has an ex from his first marriage, they had 3 kids all adults now. She had one more child, who my daughter is best friends with. Every Thursday my husbands first ex wife comes over with her daughter (not my husband's) for music lessons. We visit after so the kids have time to play. They do sleep overs and stuff. If my ex is running late I pop my biological kids off ant My husbands ex wife's because they live quite close together. My husband's ex wife is giving my ex husband a horse for my biological kids. My husband's ex wife liked the idea of how we homeschooled, So she started homeschooling her daughter. We share curriculum materials and trade services back and forth. If we go to church on Christmas eve, My husbands ex and her husband and all of her kids, (my step kids) all go at the same time to share that together.
My husband has a second ex wife he was married to for not even a year kind of an oopsie thing. Her daughter (not my husband's) was injured at a basket ball game, and the coach of her team (not my kid's coach) asked if I would take her to the doctor. So I was mom for a day to her.
My step kids cousins (on their mom's side) love the kids and I so when they come to town they come to our house and visit and consider us family.
OKay... I am changing my comment to SUPER MOM !!
that's not for me...
I can't wait for the day when I don't have to deal with my Ex anymore..
I can't imagine dealing with her on a daily basis.
I would need a lot of vodka and Tylenol.
and would soon be checked into the funny farm !

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Holy Hell how many times did you have to type that out to get all the right x's in the right spots. That would be enough to confuse even the most organized of people. I couldn't imagine having to be responsible for that many people in a given week...takes a special person to keep positive relationships like that going.:)

Top Bottom