Need help/suggestions for chain case removal

maxandvin

Reaction score
So my wife's 2013 600 RMK blew the lower bearing in the chain case. I believe it's called the jack shaft bearing? Anyway I have removed the outer cover all the gears, chain etc and removed any visible screws and nuts that would hold the whole chain case assembly in place. I can't get the back half of the chain case assembly to come off. What am I missing? Is there a trick to getting this thing off?

I need to to remove it so I can get the outer bearing race removed. I have tried to slide it out without removing the chain case assembly but it's way too slippery and it's like trying to hold Mercury.

Any help is greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance!

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chaincase is glued to the tunnel. Have you removed snap ring on the lower bearing inside chaincase and tried using a bar or screw driver to tap from inside the tunnel ? May need to be bit of contortionist
Or if you have a smaller reversible jaw puller may work to pull the outter shell out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my wife's 2013 600 RMK blew the lower bearing in the chain case. I believe it's called the jack shaft bearing? Anyway I have removed the outer cover all the gears, chain etc and removed any visible screws and nuts that would hold the whole chain case assembly in place. I can't get the back half of the chain case assembly to come off. What am I missing? Is there a trick to getting this thing off?

I need to to remove it so I can get the outer bearing race removed. I have tried to slide it out without removing the chain case assembly but it's way too slippery and it's like trying to hold Mercury.

Any help is greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance!

I could be out to lunch, but is the jackshaft bearing not on the clutch side of the drive shaft? There is a grease nipple behind the secondary clutch as part of the cover plate that the drive shaft connects to. This nipple greases the jackshaft bearing, I believe polaris recommends greasing it every 500 miles...since it was a pain on my past chaincase sleds I would grease every ride, pop off the secondary and give it a quick pump as these have had a history of wearing out prematurely.

In this case I dont believe you need to take the back side of the chaincase off that is bolted and glued to the bulkhead. You are way better off with taking the entire drive shaft out following these steps:drain your chaincase oil, pop off the cover plate, chain and gears, remove the cover plate behind the secondary clutch and remove the drive shaft. You will also need to loosen the track and remove the skid. Its not a big job but the 4 bolts that hold the skid in place are a PITA as the shafts are connected so the bolts need to be removed at the same time.

This should give you access to replace the jackshaft bearing.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By lower bearing it sounds like you mean the driveshaft? Jackshaft on top, driveshaft on bottom.

Either way, here are some parts breakdowns that I find useful to see how the things are put together and come apart. Hopefully this is the right sled, if not choose a different one on the same website.
2013 Polaris 600 RMK 144/155 ALL OPTIONS (S13CK6/CM6) Drive Train, Chaincase All Options | Babbitts Polaris Partshouse
2013 Polaris 600 RMK 144/155 ALL OPTIONS (S13CK6/CM6) Drive Train, Jackshaft & Driveshaft All Options | Babbitts Polaris Partshouse

maxandvin

Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid removing the skid..............oh well

maxandvin

Reaction score
And yes it is the lower one so "drive shaft" sounds like the proper name

Top Bottom