Need help Identifying an oldie

Reaction score
Hey guys the other day I picked up an old yamaha 2 stroke in a 80-85cc class that is from the early 80's to late 70's. I have googled all over the place trying to find this bike and I just can't find anything close to it so I was wondering if anyone recognized it or could point me in the right direction. Now it is kind of beat up with a ripped seat, rear spokes missing and the tip of the kick broken off but it starts one kick and revs and idles with no issues surprisingly which is the reason i bought it (and it was $50!)

I will post some pic's of her any help would be great

Hopefully going to do a restoration on the bike, I love the look and feel of it and they just don't make them like they used to anymore.

Attachments

• DSC00102.jpg
    DSC00102.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 61
  • edit1.jpg
    edit1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 62

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think that's the DT 80......:confused:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys the other day I picked up an old yamaha 2 stroke in a 80-85cc class that is from the early 80's to late 70's. I have googled all over the place trying to find this bike and I just can't find anything close to it so I was wondering if anyone recognized it or could point me in the right direction. Now it is kind of beat up with a ripped seat, rear spokes missing and the tip of the kick broken off but it starts one kick and revs and idles with no issues surprisingly which is the reason i bought it (and it was $50!)

Hopefully going to do a restoration on the bike, I love the look and feel of it and they just don't make them like they used to anymore.

nice score.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i may have a kicker in the shop for that bike. i know i have a spare bottom end for one.

sled

Reaction score
what is the first three letters/numbers of the serial number.This is the best way to find out the displacement and year.I have a old yamaha like that one it is a 60 cc from around 75 or 76.If I am right the first 3 of my bikes serial number is jt1.Can't remember what site I found the date codes but it was easy to find them.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I think you may have a few parts from different bikes or some missing parts. 1st I thought 78-79 MX cause no head light or turn signals or speedo but the long exhaust pipe is GT then the exhaust heat shield is 78-79. The pre 78-79 was more like bended wires on the pipe. But the coragated seat is earlier from 75-76 maybe some spilled over into later years I remember them as smooth. The engine block is silver (GT & Enduro) the MX, DT and YZ were all black I believe, and enduro's had different heat shield

So my uneducated guess would be a 78-79 GT 80

HTH

Reaction score
what is the first three letters/numbers of the serial number.This is the best way to find out the displacement and year.I have a old yamaha like that one it is a 60 cc from around 75 or 76.If I am right the first 3 of my bikes serial number is jt1.Can't remember what site I found the date codes but it was easy to find them.

The First Three digits are 2G9 I believe, though I will double check that

Looks like a 1873 - 74 GTMX 80.

I this was the closest guess I had when I did some research

I think you may have a few parts from different bikes or some missing parts. 1st I thought 78-79 MX cause no head light or turn signals or speedo but the long exhaust pipe is GT then the exhaust heat shield is 78-79. The pre 78-79 was more like bended wires on the pipe. But the coragated seat is earlier from 75-76 maybe some spilled over into later years I remember them as smooth. The engine block is silver (GT & Enduro) the MX, DT and YZ were all black I believe, and enduro's had different heat shield

So my uneducated guess would be a 78-79 GT 80

HTH

I also thought it was an Mx at first but it did not have lights, then I thought it may be a GT but the heatshield on them usually says GT right on it. Thanks for the info on the seat though I never knew that.

Only thing is When i searched online I could find nothing close to compare it to in parts of color scheme , which has really confused me.

Could it have been painted after it was purchased? or be some sort of special model?

Thanks for the help so far guys

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the bike still has the full 17 digit VIN on it you can input it on this site and it will decode it letting you know what it is. Should give year make and model.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Looks to be repaint....and the seat did get carried over to other years

1977....nope

1980....Nope different exhaust and lower fenders

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Enduro 80 ...I had one as a kid.

Reaction score
So I was talking to someone who was very knowledgeable in bikes today and he said it is a Yz 80 Because of the color scheme, aluminum gas tank and lack of lights and speedo, apparently it was Yamaha's high end racing bike

Yes/no?
Other opinions?
It does need a rear spoke kit though, If i go to the dealership and ask for the one they say they have will it fit or do you think the newer bikes are a lot different wheel wise?

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would disagree with it being a YZ80.

seat and tank are wrong and I believe the YZ started in 1974 had more travel in the suspension that the MX, GT, and Enduro models.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Not a YZ...YZ's had black engine cases more of a header pipe exhaust with small heat shield and number plates plastic fenders, yz had springles front forks, and went to more of a swing arm rear suspension in 78

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I looked at the pics again I see there is holes in the rear fender where the light was to be.....and for the enduro I googled it and couldn't find an enduro 80 only 100, 125, and 175

My guess stands at 78-79 GT 80

Let us know when you find out

Reaction score
My guess stands at 78-79 GT 80

Let us know when you find out

Well it looks like you were right Murminator, I found a listing of the engine numbers for Yamaha bikes and it turns out it is a 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Which is perfect because now i own a 1978 xr 75, 1978 citation and now this little yamaha

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Any suggestions for fixing the rear spokes?

Top Bottom