Need help diagnosing problem with 2008 M1000 turbo, has quit, won't start.

nolagtime

Reaction score
Just took this sled on trade, only has 540miles on the clock.
Would start and then quit. Figured bad fuel, so drained it out and put fresh. No better. Tried 4 new plugs. No better.

Took it to Argyll in Edmonton (1st mistake) as the guy I got it from claimed they built the sled. Argyll really didn't find anything, but did a complete service and charged me 2.5 hours to look at the wiring, said they thought the wiring from the ecu to the throttle servo was faulty, and said it was good to go.

First ride out a few days later, it ran for about 1 mile, two quick toots on the throttle once it was warmed up, trying to experience the thrill of a turbo'd cat... after the 2nd toot, it stalled. Would not start. Would kinda try to start on one cylinder, but will not fire enough to run on its own. Now I pull and pull, it will kinda catch on one cyl once in a while, but is starting to backfire. Probably flooded now?

Where do I start?
Not sure I should be a mod sled owner - seeing the mess of a wiring harness concerns me.
It is running a pure logic fuel controller, and I hate how it was hacked into the factory harness.

Any good shops/mechanics in the Edmonton area that know what to look for on a turbo M1000?

saltywalt

Reaction score
How much boost are you running & what fuel. Doesn't take much to kill it with lower octane fuel around here.

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Reeds would not keep it from running they would just cause a bad bog when trying to get going. I have had the misfortune of blowing a few on a nitrous sled.

nolagtime

Reaction score
Anyone know where the guys from Quantum Velocity in Red Deer ended up? This was one of their builds, I have some questions on what they did to tune it.

sledhed88

Reaction score
just throwing this out there.. If you know how too, check your stator. sounds like it could possibly be that. Has it quit starting completel now? Anyways ive gone through 3 in last few years

heeles

Reaction score
I have a turbo 1000 as well have had some issues with it as well. What are u running for fuel. What kind of system are u running. What is your boost set at. Have you done a compression test.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also check stator. Had same exact symptoms on my pro. Would start, backfire, and or quit. Ended up being the mag pickups on the flywheel that came loose.

cernyfromfernie

Reaction score
Air , fuel or spark. I'd bet it's one of the three. I'm betting since we're on earth it has air. So, could be pump,stator,ecu,mice in the throttle bodies etc etc. I know what's not causing it....sliders,track,shocks,handlebars,grips,seat, etc. Start with basics and get busy. If you give me a list of your aftermarket wiring, I can see what it's like compared to mine and maybe figure it out.

summitbound

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just took this sled on trade, only has 540miles on the clock.
Would start and then quit. Figured bad fuel, so drained it out and put fresh. No better. Tried 4 new plugs. No better.

Took it to Argyll in Edmonton (1st mistake) as the guy I got it from claimed they built the sled. Argyll really didn't find anything, but did a complete service and charged me 2.5 hours to look at the wiring, said they thought the wiring from the ecu to the throttle servo was faulty, and said it was good to go.

First ride out a few days later, it ran for about 1 mile, two quick toots on the throttle once it was warmed up, trying to experience the thrill of a turbo'd cat... after the 2nd toot, it stalled. Would not start. Would kinda try to start on one cylinder, but will not fire enough to run on its own. Now I pull and pull, it will kinda catch on one cyl once in a while, but is starting to backfire. Probably flooded now?

Where do I start?
Not sure I should be a mod sled owner - seeing the mess of a wiring harness concerns me.
It is running a pure logic fuel controller, and I hate how it was hacked into the factory harness.

Any good shops/mechanics in the Edmonton area that know what to look for on a turbo M1000?

Jeff moved to Sask

PM qvperformance

Top Bottom