Need help deciding on new quad

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Are there no Polaris riders ?

I've rented a Polaris for the last 2 Snowandmud.com summer campouts, and to be honest, I would NOT buy one. The rads are too low, fill up with mud, then cause overheat issues, the ride is 2nd to none, very comfortable, but the rad thing is what really bothers me, as well as the winch being too high, when your stuck you need to winch at an upwards angle not a downwards. My suggestion if interested in a Polaris, wait till the 09's come out as they are correcting some of these issues. I'll be checking them out at the snowmobile and atv show this fall.

skeeter

Reaction score
Well, I loved the Rincon so much I ended up buying it. Mainly because the Honda dealer here (Edson) is so good to deal with, very accommodating.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I'm gonna go check out that rinconriders website now. Thanks also for that tip, Miranda.

Apex162

Reaction score
You fogot real real Heavy Polaris - If you like to Submarine a mud hole the Polaris is right for you.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
What exactly did you like about the Rincon. How was it in the muddy stuff,? I still really want one but am scared of the lack of torque,like the Rubicon or Foreman have and don.t want to get stuck in something that you should easily get through.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What exactly did you like about the Rincon. How was it in the muddy stuff,? I still really want one but am scared of the lack of torque,like the Rubicon or Foreman have and don.t want to get stuck in something that you should easily get through.

Depends on what you class as easy..... The thing with the hondas is they usually lug through it but they are lacking in the wheel speed.. They all have there applications.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Depends on what you class as easy..... The thing with the hondas is they usually lug through it but they are lacking in the wheel speed.. They all have there applications.

Skeg fields. I get around or through most of it with the other Hondas I have had, I do not go through the middle unless given no choice. I am unsure how the Rincon would do in these situations. I guess the only way to tell is to ride one or to have someone with a Rincon in my group one day and see how it goes. Soupy mud holes are another concern, like the Robb poker rally of '07

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will do it, but not with ease. I found the Rincon more of a crusing quad...kinda a SUV of quads. not a get down and pound the skeg kinda ride. IMO... lacking in the low end grunt and does not have the wheel speed as quads in its class, like the outty 650, grizz 700, or 660 for that matter. The same old honda story ...they are under powered, but they do ride the best compared to the other hondas..

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One guy I know has a rincon and got in some skeg and couldn't even get his tires to turn in automatic(only three speed). He added an HMF pipe and an optimizer and now when in mud he runs in electric shift(gives five gears) and has no problems whatsoever with spinning the wheels in mud.

feyd

Reaction score
don't forget Honda's 3 wheel drive too....no true locker like the other quads.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't forget Honda's 3 wheel drive too....no true locker like the other quads.

You can fool them with the front brake lever though.... feather the front brake and it divides the power to both wheels, kinda like all four locked up but not.......both fronts will spin...or there is the option of the Detroit locker for the front diff...pretty expensive option though.

BigDaddyPo

Reaction score
O.K. I'll admit it, I've got a Polaris 800. Yes, heavy, but the twin motor has lots of power. Have never slipped a belt, no matter how thick the mud is. It does get pretty warm, but I put a second mesh on my front brush guard to limit the thick mud coming through and have yet to overheat it. And the AWD works great. By far the most comfortable to ride.

As TylerG mentioned, the 09 sportsmans will be deadly. They bumped the displacement and get 70hp from the parrallel twin 850 and have done away with the front struts for dual a-arms, but still kept the Polaris ride. Nice looking quad. Even the 500 got a bump to 550.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have two Polaris`s a 500 and 800. They both work great and never overheated either of them. I play in the skag up in northern Sask all the time and although they are heavy, the ride and power more than makes up for that.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I've rented a Polaris for the last 2 Snowandmud.com summer campouts, and to be honest, I would NOT buy one.

..... U won't buy anything ! :eek::d;)... U could of had a free jetski.... But no U 2 picky ! :p:d:beer:

stubbeljumper

Reaction score
Friendly advise from stubbeljumper.
check out Can-am Outlanders Great reliable motors & ride.We put them through hell out here,with little trouble.

Top Bottom