Need help deciding on new quad

skeeter

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to quadding, but since I started in the spring 05 have done 8000 km on my Honda 400. Now I need a new one for this weekend, so I don't have much time to research the various brands. I rode a rental Can Am this weekend, and now I know that independent suspension is a must. Other than that, I'm not sure what I need. I'm not looking for speed or massive power, but I do mud sometimes, (like the Robb rally.) My biggest criteria is: reliability. Please suggest what I should consider. Thank you.

feyd

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to quadding, but since I started in the spring 05 have done 8000 km on my Honda 400. Now I need a new one for this weekend, so I don't have much time to research the various brands. I rode a rental Can Am this weekend, and now I know that independent suspension is a must. Other than that, I'm not sure what I need. I'm not looking for speed or massive power, but I do mud sometimes, (like the Robb rally.) My biggest criteria is: reliability. Please suggest what I should consider. Thank you.

if you are looking for reliability I would go with the Suzuki Kingquad 700/750 or the Yamaha Grizzly 700. IMO, both are more reliable then the Brute, Can-am, Arcitc Cat and Polaris, etc etc.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I would go Grizzly or Brute Force as they do have better reliability than most,I have rode with a couple Kingquads and both had issues.The most popular quad on the market by a landslide is the grizzly,that tells you something.Grizzly outnumbers everything!
And they are reliable!
catmando!

skeeter

Reaction score
Thank you feyd and Catmando, I'll probably be checking out the Grizzleys tomorrow. What issues are there with Can-Am? I was pretty impressed with my rental, considering it was a rental. (But then maybe I would have been equally impressed with any independent suspension after all those ks on my Honda.) And the three year warranty seems to speak toward reliability.

feyd

Reaction score
Thank you feyd and Catmando, I'll probably be checking out the Grizzleys tomorrow. What issues are there with Can-Am? I was pretty impressed with my rental, considering it was a rental. (But then maybe I would have been equally impressed with any independent suspension after all those ks on my Honda.) And the three year warranty seems to speak toward reliability.

Can-Am has horrible stock CVT snorkels (even more so then the other horrible factory ones) and the price! That's what turned me away from the Can-Am when I was looking. Oh, it was also the visco-loc front diff. I like the fact that I can lock my front diff when I want to.

When I was looking I had it narrowed down to the Griz and the KQ. I chose the KQ because of a few more things I liked about the Suzuki. They are both very reliable machines. If you can find an '07 KQ700 they are trying to get ride of them and because of this they are dirt cheap. Actually Blackfoot Motorsports in Calgary has '08 750's on for $7799. '08 Griz 700 for $7999.
Blackfoot Motosports

Every quad has it's quirks...you just need to decide which ones you will want to put up with.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree that the Grizzly is sopposedly the most reliable quad other than a Honda. Although with the Honda you lack power, ground clearance and any kind of factory diff lock. I personally went with the Brute as I figure any quad that is beat on is going to last about the same and any quad babied is going to last just as long as the other. Try them out and see which you like the feeling of better as they all have thier good and bad points. And as some people say they have no low end power don't count the Suzuki out as they have improved thier power curve in the 08 750 and have always made great offroad machines.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I'm a can-am owner and have NOTHING bad to say about them. They have their quirks just like everything else. If your not looking for speed or monster power than the grizzly would probably be a good choice for you. Power steering is a plus too. I think Kawi's might even be a little cheaper yet and I haven't seen many of them being towed out of the bush either :d Good luck.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm a can-am owner and have NOTHING bad to say about them. They have their quirks just like everything else. If your not looking for speed or monster power than the grizzly would probably be a good choice for you. Power steering is a plus too. I think Kawi's might even be a little cheaper yet and I haven't seen many of them being towed out of the bush either :d Good luck.

Towed an OUTTIE with my trusty old HONDA but didn't get a pic so I'm sure no one will ever believe me:d:d

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the outty or the Grizzly. They are awesome machines and they are proven to be quite reliable. Not all quads are bullet proof, they all have there quirks. Its tough to choose because they all have excellent creature comforts now, it all comes down to personal preference. Some things to keep in mind.... Is the dealers service department top notch? What kind of turn around time do they have for servicing, are they swamped? Is the dealer close by.The type of warranty coverage. The list goes on and on..... where are you going to ride and what kind of riding are you going to be doing.... They all put a smile on your face, some just make Bigger Smiles.....

skeeter

Reaction score
Some good points to consider, Tabneil. I had it narrowed down today to the Outlander or the Grizzly. Turns out I can borrow a Rincon for the weekend, so there's no longer pressure to choose today. Then I found out there's a Grizzly 550 for 09 with optional power steering, which sounds like just what I want. But the dealer doesn't have any in yet. Also the Honda guy says there's rumors that Honda is going to have a smaller one with independent suspension and power steering for 09, but won't find out till end of September. Does anyone have any comments about the Rincon? And thanks to everyone for your input. It has been helpful.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can Ams are working awsome, I know of 7-8 Cam Ams I ride with and No Issues with any of them. They are just a all around Awsome working quad in my Opinion. They have good suspension, Power in all the twins is by far the most impressive, They work good on the trails good in the mud, THEY JUST FLAT OUT KICK AZZ. Just my 2 cents..... take it for.. what its worth.
I have 2 Renegades 800 and the 500 and they work goooood.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good points to consider, Tabneil. I had it narrowed down today to the Outlander or the Grizzly. Turns out I can borrow a Rincon for the weekend, so there's no longer pressure to choose today. Then I found out there's a Grizzly 550 for 09 with optional power steering, which sounds like just what I want. But the dealer doesn't have any in yet. Also the Honda guy says there's rumors that Honda is going to have a smaller one with independent suspension and power steering for 09, but won't find out till end of September. Does anyone have any comments about the Rincon? And thanks to everyone for your input. It has been helpful.

I have also run a Rincon, They are nice machines. I found that they ride nice but are lacking in the bottom end for grunt. Its the same story for Honda, they are very reliable, but underpowered. IMO..... When looking at the Grizzly 700 and the 550 did you notice that they are only approx. $1100.000 differance between them? The only differance is the power plant in them. For around a $1100.00 more I would go with the 700, Its tough to get the 700 grunt out of a 550, and when you don't have the power it is when you want it. In the long run If you plan on adding aftermarket accessories to boost it up then you would have saved by just buying the 700. IMO and they all perform well, But the big question is Where and how are you going to ride..... You going to be just a crusier on the flats? You going to pound the Muskeg, and in the hills? You going to push some snow or tow a trailer? You going to double? Might want to consider the resale down the road too........

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the wife and I a couple of 700 Grizzley's and have been very pleased with them. No problems so far and you have to love the power steering.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

Check out rinconriders.com really good website/forum. Was thinking of getting one but decided on the Rubicon CTE, not sure about the 3 speed tranny and no low gear on the rincon. Love everything else about it though. Cant beat Honda Reliability, we have never had trouble with any of ours over the years. Please let us know how the Rincon did for you, still want one badly when Honda puts a low gear in or changes the tranny to a Rubi tranny, or a Rubi with IRS.

Last edited:

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how come no one ever mentions the Arctic Cat quads.I haven't ruled one out for my next quad but I am leaning towards the Grizzly.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am happy with my Arctic Cat. It is only a 400 so a little underpowered. But it has gotten me everywhere I wanted to go. It has 12 inches of ground clearance and 10 inches suspension travel. I like the actual receiver hitch so you can take it off your vehicle. :d

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did ya notice..grizzly or this or grizzly or that...= get a grizzly.cant go wrong.:beer:

Scottishpride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my suggestion is do not pick electric shift. it is a slight less work if your THAT lazy but it causes lots of problems. and it is not reliable. I suggest a foot or automatic stick shift. do not go with a honda foreman. they are good in close around the house but they "bug out" alot. i would suggest a honda brand but not the foreman. hondas are usually very reliable. yamaha is a very high performance company but if you roll them thats the end of the high performance most of the time.

Top Bottom