need help 05 dodge 5.9 dsl screwed

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, the majority of diesel owners either install an aftermarket air filter of some sort (K&N, AFE, AirRaid), and neglect to maintain it. I have seen several "dusted" 5.9's with stock or aftermarket filters. If the filter is starting to suck itself in, you have a problem - and 60% of the trucks I work on need air filter service, less then half will service it. If you think that the high flow intake filters dirt out better then the stock element, think again - it doesn't. Taking your truck to the closest lube pit to have a kid who couldn't care less service your vehicle is a game of russian roulette - you may have good luck, you may not. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why you hear this problem is more common on diesels? It's because you have introduced boost into the equation, and are forcing air (and dirt) into the engine. This has a habit of scoring cylinders and removing the cross hatch. The other complaint I hear commonly is about automatic transmission failure. First, they are not designed for additional load (ie: performance chips). Secondly, if you are doing a transmission flush on the 48RE on a regular basis (including band adjustment), that tranny will live a very long time. So before you bash a product for failure, ask yourself these questions:
1: Did I leave it stock? 2: Did I service it according to the manufacturer's recommendations? 3: Did I drive it like it was stolen? 4: Do I load the truck beyond what was intended (GVWR and GCWR)? I am a diesel mechanic by trade, and have owned several Dodge trucks - the most current unit a 07.5 6.7L 3500. I keep them until they hit 300,000km, using only synthetic oil, a serviceable air filter (which is cleaned EVERY oil change), and replace the fuel filter every oil change as well. A diesel engine will live longer then a gasoline one if maitained properly, however, the maintenance costs are higher too. The torque that is placed on the driveline is tremendous, and if you "chip" the truck, you will reduce the life of the powertrain - end of story.
If the people at Derrick claim it is dusted, get a second opinion from GCL, Camrose Diesel Injection, Cummins, or United Diesel.

Last edited:

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe that the service is the most important , as i just got this i checked everything was clean and looked serviced , i thought the guy i bought it from was ok , well i guess he fooled me , i have being driving these since 1995 and get 360 outta them all im not gonna let one bad deal sway me from dsl s ,

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 99 dodge 2500 5.9 and it has 334,000 and still runs better then any ford or chev that I have had. It is an auto so changed tranny at 250,00, starter once, alternator once, brakes and just changed out fuel injection pump 4 months ago, and this thing works like a dog....I have 06 f350 and it is a nice truck, just to go to church and look pretty. Doesn't pull like the old dodge does...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I sure thought about it when my motor went at 172,000Kms. I put in another motor for $12000, then the tranny went. I had that replaced for $4800 and not long after my AC quit. I just thought I needed it re-charged but that wasn't the case. Wish I would of just burned that piece of chit. Damn dodge. I'll never own another. I'm sure their all the same, but I have bad feelings for them now. It'll stick with me for a long time.

Who are you paying to do your work? They must love you! $4800 will buy you a pretty good BUILT tranny, a stock one shouldn't be more then $2500. And even 12,000 for a engine is insane, you could get a rebuilt for probably $5000 then installed for maybe $2000 more.

Like said to many people don't maintain their diesels. I change my synthetic every 10k with oil analysis every 2nd change. Fuel filter 15k, and clear air filter every oil change. Also you got to warm them up and let them run! Starting and stopping will kill a diesel. If your going to be less then 15 mins you should be letting it run it will use less diesel to (but must have high idle to idle at 1000rpm min). And until it is near operating temp be easy on the throttle. Yes my truck has a intake, exhaust, and a programmer but I drive it easy and maintain it to the extreme to make sure it will last forever.

There are a lot of diesel owners out there who let it warm up for maybe 20 secs in -20 then hammer on the throttle, a diesel won't last long doing that.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who are you paying to do your work? They must love you! $4800 will buy you a pretty good BUILT tranny, a stock one shouldn't be more then $2500. And even 12,000 for a engine is insane, you could get a rebuilt for probably $5000 then installed for maybe $2000 more.

Like said to many people don't maintain their diesels. I change my synthetic every 10k with oil analysis every 2nd change. Fuel filter 15k, and clear air filter every oil change. Also you got to warm them up and let them run! Starting and stopping will kill a diesel. If your going to be less then 15 mins you should be letting it run it will use less diesel to (but must have high idle to idle at 1000rpm min). And until it is near operating temp be easy on the throttle. Yes my truck has a intake, exhaust, and a programmer but I drive it easy and maintain it to the extreme to make sure it will last forever.

There are a lot of diesel owners out there who let it warm up for maybe 20 secs in -20 then hammer on the throttle, a diesel won't last long doing that.

You guys don't know me so shut up! Find me an 04 cummins engine with 1200 kms on it for less then 12000. And that was in the later part of 05.
Second, with the tranny I had drive shaft and u-joints beefed up. Dodges drive train is too small for the torque. Also I warm up my trucks and cool them down.. I see lots of people just shut the truck off after coming off the highway. I have worked with diesels for about 16 yrs and on the rigs you sometimes have 4 different engines to maintain. I had a new 97 ford, 99 ford, 01 ford, 04 dodge, 07 chev, and now 09 ford. Like I stated the dodge made me sour whether it was a lemon or not, I will not go back. My next truck will be a chev again. You can't beat them for pulling, and riding. Most people don't experience all brands but like to blab ford is best, or whatever. That's my opinion, and thats what this site is about so suck it.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just an FYI. Idling isn't the be all end all solution. If anything it doesn't allow for full combustion and you end up washing the cylinders down with diesel. Even at an elevated idle. Believe me it surprised me too but that info is coming from a guy who's been pulling wrenches and rebuilding all sorts of diesel engines for over 25 years. Plug the truck in, let it idle for a min or two and go easy till its warmed up. Putting a load on the engine is key to making and keeping it warm. Just my .02

Back on track. Good to hear that Summitric is taking care of you. I've heard lots of good things about him and his boy's work over at the certigaurd. I've heard of a few 05's going down. If I remember right the piston design is a little different than the others versions of the ISB. Could be a contributing factor, who knows?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI. Idling isn't the be all end all solution. If anything it doesn't allow for full combustion and you end up washing the cylinders down with diesel. Even at an elevated idle. Believe me it surprised me too but that info is coming from a guy who's been pulling wrenches and rebuilding all sorts of diesel engines for over 25 years. Plug the truck in, let it idle for a min or two and go easy till its warmed up. Putting a load on the engine is key to making and keeping it warm. Just my .02

Back on track. Good to hear that Summitric is taking care of you. I've heard lots of good things about him and his boy's work over at the certigaurd. I've heard of a few 05's going down. If I remember right the piston design is a little different than the others versions of the ISB. Could be a contributing factor, who knows?

Whoever told you it doesn't completely burn the fuel idling at around 1200 rpm doesn't know what they are talking about, 750 it won't yes, but 1200 is completely fine. My truck warms up plenty idling, it will pull the gauge off the bottom if I leave it for like 20 mins in the morning. I cannot and will not drive my truck in -20C after only running for like 2 mins plugged in or not, I don't care what anyone says, it is hard on the engine.

While you got the engine out you should really throw some goodies on it, easy to do now! Stock engines are so boring.....and never know when some headstuds will come in handy for future mods :p

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Luke the drifter is right, a idling diesel doesn't completly burn all the fuel at idle or at 1200 or at 1500rpm it need a load and good hot EGT's to complete the combustion process.
Ever notice a idling diesel's exhaust and the fuel smoke smell even when pulling away.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
engine is just about out........ lotsa blowby, and looks like 1 or 2 cylinders not even working....... nice clean truck!!! Turbo feels good and looks okay too!
Good job ric!!! Sounds like you'll have him up and running in no time.:beer:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whoever told you it doesn't completely burn the fuel idling at around 1200 rpm doesn't know what they are talking about, 750 it won't yes, but 1200 is completely fine. My truck warms up plenty idling, it will pull the gauge off the bottom if I leave it for like 20 mins in the morning. I cannot and will not drive my truck in -20C after only running for like 2 mins plugged in or not, I don't care what anyone says, it is hard on the engine.

While you got the engine out you should really throw some goodies on it, easy to do now! Stock engines are so boring.....and never know when some headstuds will come in handy for future mods :p

So a guys whos been in a trade, rebuilding and repairing diesel engines longer than you or I have been alive doesn't know what he's talking about? Give me a break dude, get off your high horse and quit being so arrogant:nono:. He isn't teaching an engine course because he doesn't have a clue:rolleyes:. I can have my 04 sitting at 1500rpm and its only showing 300*F on the pyro. Put it in gear at low idle and it comes up to 450-500*F. Gee wonder why that is? If your so paranoid about your truck in cold temps and starting and stopping it. Buy an espar and be done with it.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
just a little sitenote :)
none of u is right

there is not a diesel on the world that burns completely :)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a guys whos been in a trade, rebuilding and repairing diesel engines longer than you or I have been alive doesn't know what he's talking about? Give me a break dude, get off your high horse and quit being so arrogant:nono:. He isn't teaching an engine course because he doesn't have a clue:rolleyes:. I can have my 04 sitting at 1500rpm and its only showing 300*F on the pyro. Put it in gear at low idle and it comes up to 450-500*F. Gee wonder why that is? If your so paranoid about your truck in cold temps and starting and stopping it. Buy an espar and be done with it.

350F is about a high idle EGT, cruising on the highway can be as low as 550F, think about it. I don't care how long he's been in the trade, doesn't mean he knows anything, or even the fact that he's teaching. Just because someone tells you something, don't believe it as fact unless you can verify it for yourself. And anyone who tells you it's better to drive it and turn it off instead of leaving it run is CLUELESS! You ALWAYS leave a diesel run because it is better for it. It is a proven FACT that you can idle a diesel at 1000 rpm for years on end and not hurt ANYTHING.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
350F is about a high idle EGT, cruising on the highway can be as low as 550F, think about it. I don't care how long he's been in the trade, doesn't mean he knows anything, or even the fact that he's teaching. Just because someone tells you something, don't believe it as fact unless you can verify it for yourself. And anyone who tells you it's better to drive it and turn it off instead of leaving it run is CLUELESS! You ALWAYS leave a diesel run because it is better for it. It is a proven FACT that you can idle a diesel at 1000 rpm for years on end and not hurt ANYTHING.

Ok I'll listen to some guy who reads internet forums and plays with his truck on the weekends:rolleyes:. Because he's so much more knowledgeable than a guy who has years of training and taken multiple courses from various engine manufacturers... Excessive idling isn't a good thing, while having it high idle might help a bit, its not going to be the same as driving it. Warm the engine up a bit and put a bit of a load on it (light driving). Your arrogance amazes me, wow.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
engine is just about out........ lotsa blowby, and looks like 1 or 2 cylinders not even working....... nice clean truck!!! Turbo feels good and looks okay too!

She was just about done on friday when i called you, i knew it was worse since thurs , the truck idling felt like it was running on 3 , 4 cylinders , but man was she smoking bad im not sure if it was that lucas oil stabilizer i dumped in or the extra 5000 kms i put on it when i call you the first time, but at hwy it runs on all the cylinders , but i could feel the lack of power in the motor, as well the oil filler cap will launch itself if you try to remove it with the motor running , So i thought rather than tow it to you id just make her last run to your shop, i think she is low enough in kms , and in good enough shape that the cost warrants a motor, i have my 04 its got 360000 kms on it and runs like a top but it has electrical issues in the tail lights, but she s ready to go to a farm for a better retirement

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
she was just about done on friday when i called you, i knew it was worse since thurs , the truck idling felt like it was running on 3 , 4 cylinders , but man was she smoking bad im not sure if it was that lucas oil stabilizer i dumped in or the extra 5000 kms i put on it when i call you the first time, but at hwy it runs on all the cylinders , but i could feel the lack of power in the motor, as well the oil filler cap will launch itself if you try to remove it with the motor running , so i thought rather than tow it to you id just make her last run to your shop, i think she is low enough in kms , and in good enough shape that the cost warrants a motor, i have my 04 its got 360000 kms on it and runs like a top but it has electrical issues in the tail lights, but she s ready to go to a farm for a better retirement

tail lite issues and sometimes headlites(especially the right side) is turning out to be quite common for having to replace the front control module, which is actually sealed inside the fuse box ass'y........ We have replaced quite a few now, and the dealers stock them. Otherwise wiring issues in the back is fairly common too.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok got truck back last Friday Thanks Ric and your Guys for getting her done so quick< I threw 4500 km in to her this week and shes running fine So thanks for a job well done and you are right that engine put out way less noise i parked it beside the 04 and it is noisey in comparison , will have to see after it get the engine break in, But again Thanks

Top Bottom