need help 05 dodge 5.9 dsl screwed

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like my motor might neeed to be replaced , i need a rebuild engine and a good mech to do the work <
so im looking for advice on were to pick up a long block or short block < and whos best for doing the repairs , any help Please

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
looks like my motor might neeed to be replaced , i need a rebuild engine and a good mech to do the work <
so im looking for advice on were to pick up a long block or short block < and whos best for doing the repairs , any help please

give me a call at the shop........ Sherwood park certigard
780 464 6000, get some prices and i'll see what i can doo.

What's wrong with your engine????

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so im looking for advice on were to pick up a long block or short block < and whos best for doing the repairs , any help Please

I have a better idea for that dodge of yours, you got insurance right, burn the damn thing, go buy yourself a real truck....just kidding...lmao

goodleo

Reaction score
Phone up Alex @ Mechanical Solutions in Edmonton. He has worked on my 5.9L. Does great work. Also depending what is wrong, GCL Diesel Injection does good work as well. Good luck!

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to summitric, if he can't fix it, at least he'll make ya laugh, it'll cheer you up about owning that dodge, get him to bring you to Broke Black Golfer, lol.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ahhh i feel ur pain i had a 05 dodge cummins the bigest piece of chitt i ever owned i did my moter at 140000km now my buddy in town has an 05 and his moter went so get rid of that truck the cost just starts to go up from there

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Rebuilder i talked to said '05's seem to have ring problems...... They all blame it on "dusting" the engine.......................?????
Says they've never seen an '06 or newer "dusted", wtf???

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people told me 05 is the worst year for the cummins well i know 3 guys with blowin engine humm maybe coincidence :d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry but anyone who thinks 05 had engine problems has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. 04.5 also had the EXACT same engine, and even 06-07 has pretty much the identical engine. 05's did have a problem with a few injector lines and intercooler problems if running much power but a far cry from the engine. Doesn't matter what year, pre 07.5 the cummins is by far the most relieable engine in a pickup you'll find. The 03+ CR engines aren't quite as good as the 12v and 24v, but it is still extremely rare to loose a CR before 300k km.

Yea if you don't keep up the maintaince you can have problems but other then that they are bulletproof. Or unless your running a bunch of stacked chips etc and being stupid. But you cannot blame either of these problems on the engine or truck.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have being driving dodge trucks since 1995 all dsl and never had this problem, i just think it was my bad fortune on this one< my 04 has 350 k and runs like a top < i truly believe in the 5.9 engines feel they are quite the work horse , and i was not running any chips stacked it was all stock < ill get over this after i swallow the bill , which i might have to choke on first

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rebuilder i talked to said '05's seem to have ring problems...... They all blame it on "dusting" the engine.......................?????
Says they've never seen an '06 or newer "dusted", wtf???

That what the mechanic at derrick said too i just thought he was being funny when he said dusted

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That what the mechanic at derrick said too i just thought he was being funny when he said dusted

There's your problem going to Derrick, they sell a TON of trucks but they don't have a diesel mechanic who knows anything. They just like to claim "dusted" on anything. My bros old 06 the warranty work said from a previous owner "Dirty air filter, engine is dusted". No testing done they just "though" the air filter was to dirty and dusted the engine. Absolutely no clue!

I had my first 01 CTD into derrick about 3.5 years ago, biggest mistake ever. They seem to just look at the od and figure it has over 300k km on it it is finished, you must buy a new truck! :rolleyes: Not much point taking it somewhere to be looked at when you know more then their mechanics :rolleyes:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
the dusttalk just comes up when it comes to warranty claims

since dodge 3 years ago started questioneing some warranty engine repairs and wanted pictures of the airfilter and so on

so some shops are still frightened they get a chargeback from dodge for a warranty engine repair

ive done several 5.9s so far and to tell u the truth not one was dusted 2 got melted at piston 6 due a pissing injector and driving it like that forever (shouldnt be warranty) but had to do it under warranty

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, Derrick Dodge likes the "dusted" word. Took my '03 5.9 in about 4 years ago, just killing time, and took a couple new ones for a drive. They said mine was dusted, but they would be willing to give me $5000 for it against a $58000 truck. Nice one, haven't set foot in the place since.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a better idea for that dodge of yours, you got insurance right, burn the damn thing, go buy yourself a real truck....just kidding...lmao

Ya I always think it's funny when someone has to spend $10000 unexpectly! NOT!

Sorry to hear about your cooked motor, some on ebay, check out Kijiji.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out these guys:Ford

Disclaimer: There have been some complaints about these guys on the diesel forums who bought used engines that were fubar'd. A new piece shouldn't be risky though.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I always think it's funny when someone has to spend $10000 unexpectly! NOT!

Sorry to hear about your cooked motor, some on ebay, check out Kijiji.

Hey, I sure thought about it when my motor went at 172,000Kms. I put in another motor for $12000, then the tranny went. I had that replaced for $4800 and not long after my AC quit. I just thought I needed it re-charged but that wasn't the case. Wish I would of just burned that piece of chit. Damn dodge. I'll never own another. I'm sure their all the same, but I have bad feelings for them now. It'll stick with me for a long time.

Top Bottom