Need a new GPS

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My GPS is really old and its time for a new one. My father has one that i bought a chip for with all rivers, lakes, streams etc.. When i bought it i wanted roads and trails on it as well, but they told me i could only put one chip in it so i would have to choose (not a real big deal as mine has nothing on it and has got me by but still). Does anyone know if i can get one that i can load roads and waterways into? or maybe one i could download maps for?I am planning on researching them this week, i just thought i would ask on snow and mud to get your guys input. I want it for quading, hunting and fishing any suggestions about brands or features to look for would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S don't make fun of my spelling and grammar I R stupid :)

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm using a garmin rhino 520 with the bushmap 2008 maps. It shows non-routable roads w/ km posts and radio frequencies (where available)
wellsites
pipelines
sour facilities are identified
contour lines (smart)
seismic lines (most)
township grid
center of section points
background identifies Wildlife Management Unit
Picked it up at map town but unfortunately it is expensive, $280. I was limited on time the day I bought the map so didn't get a chance to check out discovery gps on their prices.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the Garmin GPSMAPCSx with the B.C. & Alberta topo sd card. I really like it, shows all the streams, lakes etc., but not all the roads, i have heard the oilfield maps are great as well. It was fairly expensive as well (not sure of the cost it was a gift). Still not really great with it yet, but you catch on pretty quick to these things.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out these guys:
Garmin GPS, RAM Mounts, Tomtom GPS & Lowrance GPS Factory Authorized Dealer - GPS City Canada

The Garmin 60CSX will do what you want and that is what I was after but these guys have a smokin deal on the 76CSX for $ 289.95 so that is what I went with as the two units are nearly identical in what they will do.

I'm with you dlj. I run the Garmin 76 CSx and love it very eay to use and you can load what every you want for maps into it. I run Garmin Topo Canada in mine. link to a laptop with garmin enroute and can navigate in Cities as well.

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I've got the Garmin GPSMAPCSx with the B.C. & Alberta topo sd card. I really like it, shows all the streams, lakes etc., but not all the roads, i have heard the oilfield maps are great as well. It was fairly expensive as well (not sure of the cost it was a gift). Still not really great with it yet, but you catch on pretty quick to these things.

I've got the same one... took me a season to figure it out, but now I think it's an awesome unit. You can download free topo maps that include cutlines from
The cutlines are a nice feature that topo canada doesn't have... and it's freeee!!!

Black08Brute

Reaction score
I've got the same one... took me a season to figure it out, but now I think it's an awesome unit. You can download free topo maps that include cutlines from
The cutlines are a nice feature that topo canada doesn't have... and it's freeee!!!

I tryed this link and it seams like it won't let me down load it any sugestions

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I see that they have suspended the download option... I'm not surprised because the file is around 3 GB! I'm not familiar with BitTorrent, but if you are, then this website tells you how to do it, and I think it gives step by step YouTube instructions. I'll keep you posted if I can find an easier way to download the file.... as I'm not too internet savvy.

Top Bottom