need a fun game to get new guys to use their beacon

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone have a fun way to get guys to practice there beacon skills. find the beer in the snow? it needs to be fair for new guys and those with "experience".

maybe have everyone put $10 into the beer fund, and new guys have to find beacon in less than 4 minutes or no beer until they can. experienced guys put $10 into bucket and have 2 minutes or no beer. maybe ask who has beacon experience first.

tried the parking lot thing this weekend and found one beacon not working properly.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit up a beacon basin. Why do these guys need a "fun" way to figure out and use their beacons....kinda sad...

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm beer and beacons... Sounds like the makings of another Darwin Award. I guess it might work though Larry...kinda like you and the bananas.

We do the beer and beacon thing at the local schoolyard. Pretty safe zone to be practising.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit up a beacon basin. Why do these guys need a "fun" way to figure out and use their beacons....kinda sad...

not every area has a beacon basin,

and these guys seem to think it will come to them when the situation arises.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when Sherwood Park used to have a club, They would burry a beacon in the meadows at Bell, and turn us loose to find them. as a 13year old kid I thought that was fun. and when one fella burried a beacon with out turning it on, that was real fun.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not every area has a beacon basin,

and these guys seem to think it will come to them when the situation arises.

fair enough but that's a pretty ignorant thing to think. I'd just tell them to take an AST1 course because they will teach them all of that and run through scenarios. Otherwise if they are too cheap to do that, find a field and bury beacons and run through some scenarios. But really, anyone in the back country should have AST1 bare minimum.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fair enough but that's a pretty ignorant thing to think. I'd just tell them to take an AST1 course because they will teach them all of that and run through scenarios. Otherwise if they are too cheap to do that, find a field and bury beacons and run through some scenarios. But really, anyone in the back country should have AST1 bare minimum.

yes, i agree ast 1 is required. although i for one didn't have it when i started or a becon. i assume you did? i soon got the training as soon as i could. and rented beacons also. although there are still alot that have neither. i know one guy who was buried over his head and still has no beacon or training, also he is from BC. and has lots of riding experience since a young fellow.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
God no. I'm hunting for a girl at the same time I'm hunting for a beacon. :D:D:D

Just kidding, of course.

HUNTING FOR A GIRL IN THE SCHOOL YARD!!!!!!!!! please, let it be high school?:p

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya, no one can practice enough. ast 1 is only a tool, not the solution. mountain riding is a continual learning process. we are learning all the time.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, i agree ast 1 is required. although i for one didn't have it when i started or a becon. i assume you did? i soon got the training as soon as i could. and rented beacons also. although there are still alot that have neither. i know one guy who was buried over his head and still has no beacon or training, also he is from BC. and has lots of riding experience since a young fellow.

Bought my sled, beacon, probe, shovel and took AST1 right away. I had taken it twice before but wanted a refresher. I will take the AST1 course, in the field anyways, every 3 years to keep up to speed and make sure it's fresh in my mind.

Bury beer if that will help them practice. Or do like whoever finds the beacon the fastest gets a 6er or something. OR slowest guy buys fastest guy a beer or dinner! haha so much you can do with it.

Last edited:

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it comes time when they need to use them in an emergency there will be nothing fun about it!!!
take a course!!!!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Topic brings up a real good point. If you don't practise, your AST1 wouldn't be near as useful...

And let's be frank, hiding some beers and beacons is a damned fun way to practise.

It would be a shame to find out it's going to take you 10 minutes while your buddy is 6' below the snow, when it could have taken 5 with practise.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone have a fun way to get guys to practice there beacon skills. find the beer in the snow? it needs to be fair for new guys and those with "experience".

maybe have everyone put $10 into the beer fund, and new guys have to find beacon in less than 4 minutes or no beer until they can. experienced guys put $10 into bucket and have 2 minutes or no beer. maybe ask who has beacon experience first.

tried the parking lot thing this weekend and found one beacon not working properly.

This is a good idea! It brings discussion to the fact that WE ALL can use more practice with our beacons, and I'm sure there is a whole slew of good ideas out there to make some fun out of practicing. While I do agree that everyone should have their AST 1, some don't....and that's just a fact that won't go away anytime soon.

I like the fact that this post brings up good discussion about beacons, and ways that we can make a habit out of being more proficient with them. We don't have access to a "beacon basin" where we ride, so any ideas is awesome. THANKS! :)

Top Bottom