My First HareScramble Experience.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain House Club HS at Larson's:

The staff working the event were great, very well organized and friendly.

I entered Adult "C" class. At 27 years old I have had a fair amount of time on minibikes, a couple street bikes, and I had a CRF450 back in '05-06. I got a used 525 EXC this year and I've ridden it to work once, and about 3 tanks of fuel playing around on dirt roads, construction, and 2 hours at Super Dave's MX track.

There were 12 guys in my class, and we started with the VET "B" as well. There were maybe 20 bikes. We had to sit backwards on the bikes for the start signal, then jump off, get on the right way, start and go!! I give credit to the magic button on my bike, it fired right away and I was 3rd through the first turn. There was an option there to go up a 3' ramp and ride the length of a log ( cut in half so it was flat on top ), or go about 200' farther around some trees. The guy with the holeshot went over the log, then next guy went around, so I went over the log to claim 2nd position! haha it was short lived. about 1km later, there was a corner coming up to a pile of logs about 6' high. Someone got out of control and our bars got tangled up... somehow we stayed upright, but we came to a stop at the very bottom of the logs, and I had to get off and push the bike over. About half a dozen guys passed me. Then about 200m later I missed a turn and was 40' into the bush before I realized it another 5 guys were past.....so much for 2nd!!

I just focused on staying rubber side down and trying not to grip the bars too tight, and I passed people one by one, some who went down, some trying to pick up their bikes, some who stalled.

At the end of the second lap ( I ended up doing 3, about 15km each) I came up to the finish / checkpoint too hot and ended up locking up the front and going down in front of everyone.....lol.

Aside from those two mistakes, I'm pretty sure I only got passed by two guys, and they were pros who lapped me, and they were fast as hell.

The course was awesome! it had everything from very tight trees, going over lots of logs, dropping into a creek and riding down it ~200m, stream crossing, skag, and some WOT across a few fields linking the treed sections. There was a "short cut" at the finish line you could go over a massive log ( almost seat height ) or go around. I went around.

outwest camping

Reaction score
Website
www.outwestcamping.com
Glad to see you come out and particapate!! This is my daughters 2nd year of racing and we always have a ton of fun!! This was her first race against the boys (she went from Ladies to Boys Intermediate) so it was a little more nerve racking for me.......but she did awesome (come in 3rd). I love the Harescamble events, the people are wonderful and it's a great day of fun (and hard work!!) for the racers. We always make sure to stay to the bitter end, to see the men ride, as you see some really great riders out there and some of the things they have to jump or climb over are spectacular to watch.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

Sounds like a good time. I'm looking forward to trying my first harescramble next year (or maybe even this year).

How many times did you fuel up? And where did you fuel up?

I filled up after the parade lap, and I haven't looked to see how much is left. I finished right at the 90 minute mark.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
LMAO!! Ya I seen you take that spill infront of the check point. This is my sons first year in the Harescramble circuit and he LOVES it. He's 8 years old and took 5th place in his class yesterday. I'll post pictures here in an hour or so when I'm not so busy. Cheerz!!:beer:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I thought I was pretty quick off the start ( blue jersey on the KTM ), but apparently not compared to the guy already kicking over his bike before I had even moved!!! LOL you can run but you can't hide.....

033-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

035-2.jpg

036-1.jpg

038-2.jpg

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a hella good time, any pics of the killer log set up?

This is all I got..... I should have taken more. You can see the small end of the big log in this pic.

039-1.jpg

crazy240sx

Reaction score
oh....:eek:

Thank goodness for the button!

LOL, until the battery dies, a buddy of mine has, well had a ktm 450 with push start, the day of the harescramble, he goes to fire it up and.......dead. No kick start on it either so it was roll down a hill and jump the clutch or no race. He opted to use my bike incase he stalled on a flat or in the trees where there's no way to get going.

Looks like you had fun though, I'd love to try it out someday, just too nervous about entering the wrong class and getting my ass handed to me, then never wanting to race again lol

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, until the battery dies, a buddy of mine has, well had a ktm 450 with push start, the day of the harescramble, he goes to fire it up and.......dead. No kick start on it either so it was roll down a hill and jump the clutch or no race. He opted to use my bike incase he stalled on a flat or in the trees where there's no way to get going.

Looks like you had fun though, I'd love to try it out someday, just too nervous about entering the wrong class and getting my ass handed to me, then never wanting to race again lol

brutal! Mine has the kicker too, it fires first or second kick 9 / 10 times. My old CRF450 needed about 10 kicks.... I dunno.

Just go in "C" class and they'll bump you up if you clean house. I believe there's been a few guys bumped up this yr already. It was a blast!!

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like a really good day good photos too im looking at doing one of these in the future maybe next year looks like fun:d

Top Bottom