My experience with the Tesla Model 3

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http..._aMoeVYyQ8-ow-KNLeiqi7gs7k2Lm6JA&__tn__=H-R&c

Driverless Tesla Model S crashes in Texas, killing both passengers

Officials said the battery inside Tesla ignited after the collision, causing a fire that burned for four hours before it could be extinguished
https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.dig...04/tesla-crash.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=288

A Tesla Inc. electric car that “no one” appeared to be driving crashed late Saturday in Texas, erupting into flames and killing the two passengers, according to local authorities.
One victim was found in the front passenger seat of a 2019 Model S and the other was in the rear, Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said in a telephone interview. The car ran into a tree north of Houston after traveling at high speed and failing to navigate a turn.

The position of the victims, statements and other physical evidence suggest that “no one was driving the vehicle at the time of impact,” Herman said. “It’s still under investigation.”
Herman said his office is coordinating with federal authorities, without specifying which ones, and didn’t know whether the Autopilot feature was engaged.
Officials in Houston said the battery inside Tesla ignited after the collision, causing a fire that burned for four hours and required more than 113,562 liters of water to put out.
“Our office has never experienced a crash scene like this,” Herman told KHOU. “Normally, when the fire department arrives, they have a vehicle fire under control in minutes, but this went on for hours.”
Video footage from the crash scene captured by KHOU showed the vehicle’s smoldering frame, with nearly all of its exterior and interior structures destroyed by the fire.

And apparently that tire didn't burn up?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http..._aMoeVYyQ8-ow-KNLeiqi7gs7k2Lm6JA&__tn__=H-R&c

Driverless Tesla Model S crashes in Texas, killing both passengers

Officials said the battery inside Tesla ignited after the collision, causing a fire that burned for four hours before it could be extinguished
https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.dig...04/tesla-crash.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=288

A Tesla Inc. electric car that “no one” appeared to be driving crashed late Saturday in Texas, erupting into flames and killing the two passengers, according to local authorities.
One victim was found in the front passenger seat of a 2019 Model S and the other was in the rear, Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said in a telephone interview. The car ran into a tree north of Houston after traveling at high speed and failing to navigate a turn.

The position of the victims, statements and other physical evidence suggest that “no one was driving the vehicle at the time of impact,” Herman said. “It’s still under investigation.”
Herman said his office is coordinating with federal authorities, without specifying which ones, and didn’t know whether the Autopilot feature was engaged.
Officials in Houston said the battery inside Tesla ignited after the collision, causing a fire that burned for four hours and required more than 113,562 liters of water to put out.
“Our office has never experienced a crash scene like this,” Herman told KHOU. “Normally, when the fire department arrives, they have a vehicle fire under control in minutes, but this went on for hours.”
Video footage from the crash scene captured by KHOU showed the vehicle’s smoldering frame, with nearly all of its exterior and interior structures destroyed by the fire.
Saw that today on the news. Fire chief said it took 30,000 gallons to put it out? Lithium batteries take a lot of water I guess? Thats a ton of water

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw that today on the news. Fire chief said it took 30,000 gallons to put it out? Lithium batteries take a lot of water I guess? Thats a ton of water

There’s cities in Europe that show up with a tank that they fill with water to submerge burning EV’s in. The leave them submerged for minimum 24 hrs to ensure the batteries cool down below their auto ignition temperature. Very scary thing to watch a lithium battery start to auto ignite and cascade on fire.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s cities in Europe that show up with a tank that they fill with water to submerge burning EV’s in. The leave them submerged for minimum 24 hrs to ensure the batteries cool down below their auto ignition temperature. Very scary thing to watch a lithium battery start to auto ignite and cascade on fire.
Well that certainly something to look forward to in the future.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Early this Spring I saw a semi-load of Teslas on highway 22 south of Calgary. The back 3/4's of the cars were completely incinerated. They were lucky to get the tractor disconnected in time. How would yo like to be the waiting customer that got the call --- "Sorry, but your Tesla will be late being delivered as we have to re-order. It self ignited during delivery"

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Early this Spring I saw a semi-load of Teslas on highway 22 south of Calgary. The back 3/4's of the cars were completely incinerated. They were lucky to get the tractor disconnected in time. How would yo like to be the waiting customer that got the call --- "Sorry, but your Tesla will be late being delivered as we have to re-order. It self ignited during delivery"

Link to the story or a picture?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard that since you never use the brakes you should take them apart and clean them once a year. I’m a little bit late by 16 months. Also did the cabin filter.

5ba7bac638bc029c1d067d09b49523c8.jpg

3e54d8257eac3db5f48bd83a754676a8.jpg

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any wear on the pads? My concern would be that they are seldom used they might seize up.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any wear on the pads? My concern would be that they are seldom used they might seize up.

Pads looked good for wear. Pins were a little bit dirty. In general it would definitely be a good idea to do it annually on your winter to summer tire change. This is what my pins looked like after 90,000km...

db8d76129c86023eba2138bc5ce6dcb1.jpg

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Link to the story or a picture?

I wish I took a picture now. I didn't think it was that big of a deal at the time. Was more thinking how it would impact the waiting customers and not how it looked for Tesla. One thing for sure is Tesla has the most experience and if this could happen to them wait until Ford floods the market. You think the Pinto had a reputation? Just wait for the Ford Fusion EV to earn its name.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You run different tires in winter? They come with special low rolling resistance tires, right? So what kind of tires are you supposed to put on for winter?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You run different tires in winter? They come with special low rolling resistance tires, right? So what kind of tires are you supposed to put on for winter?

Yeah you really should run dedicated winters on these cars. They are very heavy and when you put good tires on them they work really well. I run nokian Hakka r3's for winter and have a set of of 19" rims for summer with nokian zline a/s. Both tires are low rolling resistance but the winters probably reduce range by 5% due to their stickiness.

Top Bottom