My experience with the Tesla Model 3

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With performance that beats vehicles triple that price... in a 4 door sedan no less.

Full Performance runs Maybe 3 or 4 times then it’s off to the charger for several hours....Once the battery cools down....and the more you do it, the shorter the lifespan of the battery.....

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Full Performance runs Maybe 3 or 4 times then it’s off to the charger for several hours....Once the battery cools down....and the more you do it, the shorter the lifespan of the battery.....

How many runs does an 8 second 3 stage nitrous car make before a full rebuild?

It takes a lot of time , money ,maintenance And repairs to get into the high 8’s low 9’s.

That is pretty damn impressive on street tires.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

tenor.gif

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many runs does an 8 second 3 stage nitrous car make before a full rebuild?

It takes a lot of time , money ,maintenance And repairs to get into the high 8’s low 9’s.

That is pretty damn impressive on street tires.
You ever see Sloppy Mechanics 8s for $8k build?

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jhurkot, You've probably mentioned this somewhere is this long thread but I can't read it all.

How much range do you lose just from the cold. Say -15*c and your about to drive 400km? And does the range come back as the battery pack heats up with use? Also if your Tesla is parked outside in -15*c for 8 hours without being plugged in, will it loose a lot of energy just trying to prevent the battery pack from getting too cold?

Curious how feasible a future 800km+ range Cybertruck will be for sledding.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jhurkot, You've probably mentioned this somewhere is this long thread but I can't read it all.

How much range do you lose just from the cold. Say -15*c and your about to drive 400km? And does the range come back as the battery pack heats up with use? Also if your Tesla is parked outside in -15*c for 8 hours without being plugged in, will it loose a lot of energy just trying to prevent the battery pack from getting too cold?

Can't wait to see that custom sled deck.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Range is highly variable in the winter. Cold temperatures do decrease range. Terrain is another major factor. Headwind as well. There is a website called abetterrouteplanner.com that lets you input all this data to give you an energy consumption that is based on all these factors. The navigation has become better at sensing these things as well. I plan on using the long range CT for sledding.

A cold battery does need to be warmed up. In the model 3 you will have reduced power and regen when the battery is cold soaked. The motors can stall and create extra heat to warm the battery coolant loop. The best method is just plug in and tell the vehicle your departure time. The cabin and battery will be ready to go. Model Y and soon model 3 will have a heat pump. I think Cybertruck will have the heat pump and octovalve as well.

To go from -35 to +28 cabin temperature it takes about 10-15minutes. All done through the phone.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Its about 300km round trip to my most common riding spot, including about 10-50km of logging roads.

I figure on the colder days/ battling snow storms and towing a 2 place trailer and it may be cutting it too close for capacity. 1 sled in the bed might work. Have to wait and see.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've actually noticed a pretty big jump in the number of Tesla's running around Edmonton specifically and Alberta in general. 2-3 years ago I would spot 1 or 2 a week while logging 2000km per week across the province. Now I swear I see at least 1 every time I'm out and my travel has significantly decreased with the new job. There are at least a dozen folks who drive Tesla's as daily commuters between Stony Plain and Edmonton, I see at least 1 if not 2,3,4 each time I commute, and my schedule varies so it's not the same 3 people at the same time every day. My last trip to Cochran and back I counted over 20 Tesla's in a one day round trip - most of them in Calgary but at least 8-10 on Hwy 2 between Edm & Cgy….. There is no denying that their popularity is increasing if there were 20 in the province in 2015 and there are 500 now that is a 25 fold increase but that is still only 500 out of 500,000 or more. I think their popularity will continue to increase exponentially until the demand for charging taxes the power grid and the government slaps an EV excise tax as opposed to rebates and incentives.
I obviously have no idea what a Tesla looks like. I'm on the road every day and never see them. All new cars look the same to me.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I obviously have no idea what a Tesla looks like. I'm on the road every day and never see them. All new cars look the same to me.

Glad i'm not the only one. I'm pretty sure i've only ever seen a few. But then again a Telsa looks like another ugly chitbox.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad i'm not the only one. I'm pretty sure i've only ever seen a few. But then again a Telsa looks like another ugly chitbox.

kinda like a sasquatch, you hear about them every now and then, but sightings are rare.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Time to lighten up on a morning that needs it.
A tragic tale of how depression can haunt a man.
Marcel was sick and tired of the world; of Covid 19, Brexit, Russian and Chinese belligerence, global warming, racial tensions, and the rest of the disturbing stories that occupy media headlines.
Marcel drove his car into his garage and then sealed every doorway and window as best he could. He got back into his car and wound down all the windows, selected his favorite radio station and started the car.
Four days later, a worried neighbor peered through his garage window and saw him in the car. She notified the emergency services and they broke in, pulling Marcel from the car.
A little sip of water and, surprisingly, he was in perfect condition, but his Tesla had a dead battery.

Top Bottom