My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you watch that live or is it a after the fact sorta things like most cameras

It records to the memory stick inside the car. When you get in it will give you an alert that it saw something or if it thinks it's serious like a smashed out window/hit and run it will push a notification to your phone. Pretty good for insurance purposes I'd say.

Is this your truck Johnny? In Revy?

Not my truck, this was in Lethbridge.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’ve used autopilot for about 50,000km. If you are using it properly it is undoubtedly safer. Every single time you activate autopilot you are asked to hold on to the wheel and pay attention. Was the driver in the above video paying attention? This is a case of autopilot AND the human failing.

I’ve been using auto steer on farm equipment for probably close to 20 years. It was a game changer. Autopilot continues to improve with each software update and on a divided highway I don’t think a human can drive as good as autopilot 99.5% of the time.

af6290c176398fbbd2fd2905b01d0b0e.jpg

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve used autopilot for about 50,000km. If you are using it properly it is undoubtedly safer. Every single time you activate autopilot you are asked to hold on to the wheel and pay attention. Was the driver in the above video paying attention? This is a case of autopilot AND the human failing.

I’ve been using auto steer on farm equipment for probably close to 20 years. It was a game changer. Autopilot continues to improve with each software update and on a divided highway I don’t think a human can drive as good as autopilot 99.5% of the time.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200602/af6290c176398fbbd2fd2905b01d0b0e.jpg
Autosteer and autopilot are substantially different. I have used autosteer as well. GPS is reliable. AI computers are not. Yes the human was supposed to pay attention, but you are willing to have these cars on the road by themselves as you call them from the parking lot, etc.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Autosteer and autopilot are substantially different. I have used autosteer as well. GPS is reliable. AI computers are not. Yes the human was supposed to pay attention, but you are willing to have these cars on the road by themselves as you call them from the parking lot, etc.
There is arguments for both. Auto Steer although very precise does not recognize well heads and sloughs. The driver of the tractor or sprayer does …..if he is awake. lol

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200602/af6290c176398fbbd2fd2905b01d0b0e.jpg

Big difference driving in a empty field and a road with potholes and other idiots driving. No computer will ever drive as good as a good human driver. But the average human driver? Yea probably as good or even better.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No computer will ever drive as good as a good human driver. But the average human driver? Yea probably as good or even better.

So computers are used to fly airplanes, guide missiles, launch rockets, steer ships, even drive combines. Yet a computer will never be as good as a human driver? Lol

The stats don't lie:

• one accident for every 4.34 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged
  • one accident for every 2.70 million miles driven in which drivers didn’t have Autopilot engaged but with active safety features
  • one accident for every 1.82 million miles driven in which drivers didn’t have Autopilot engaged nor any active safety feature
https://electrek.co/2020/01/16/tesla-crashes-autopilot-increase-better-without-autopilot/

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Poor Cyle . You guys always misinterpret what he says.
So computers are used to fly airplanes, guide missiles, launch rockets, steer ships, even drive combines. Yet a computer will never be as good as a human driver? Lol

The stats don't lie:

• one accident for every 4.34 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged
  • one accident for every 2.70 million miles driven in which drivers didn’t have Autopilot engaged but with active safety features
  • one accident for every 1.82 million miles driven in which drivers didn’t have Autopilot engaged nor any active safety feature
https://electrek.co/2020/01/16/tesla-crashes-autopilot-increase-better-without-autopilot/

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The stats don't lie:

I wasn't aware there was a bunch of idiots out there flying planes like retards, or a dumba$$ popping up in the middle of a field :confused:

If every single vehicle on the road was computer controlled it would be much safer then it is now, but a computer cannot predict how human drivers will react, and is not better then a good human driver with other human drivers around.

Those stats are for a little chitbox, they are meaningless. You could drive one blindfolded without autopilot and never get in an accident. Show me stats on a computer controlled tractor trailer getting in less accidents then a good driver.

Last edited:

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware there was a bunch of idiots out there flying planes like retards, or a dumba$$ popping up in the middle of a field :confused:

If every single vehicle on the road was computer controlled it would be much safer then it is now, but a computer cannot predict how human drivers will react, and is not better then a good human driver with other human drivers around.

Those stats are for a little chitbox, they are meaningless. You could drive one blindfolded without autopilot and never get in an accident. Show me stats on a computer controlled tractor trailer getting in less accidents then a good driver.

depends if the trailer has brakes being pulled behind a dump truck with a skid steer on it...:d

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big difference driving in a empty field and a road with potholes and other idiots driving. No computer will ever drive as good as a good human driver. But the average human driver? Yea probably as good or even better.

There is a big difference between how the two work, I agree. A tractor is really good at going perfectly straight between two points but you still have to pay attention. The main difference is in how you feel after a 12 hour day using auto steer in comparison to 12 hours of manual steering. I do not know any farmers that would go back to manual steering.

Autopilot is the same feeling on a long drive. You don’t feel as tired and drained after it’s all over. Now am I going to say autopilot is perfect? No, and it probably never will be. It is evolving with each update and the difference between autopilot now and 2 years ago is huge. Lane changes now are silky smooth and happen fast. A couple years ago they were slow to initiate and had troubles when switching into a newly forming lane. Also improved a lot in how it takes corners at the correct speed and holding the position through the curve.

Another thing to consider about autopilot is that it removes human emotion from driving. It runs on a strict set of guidelines. If a lane has a solid line it will not cross that line until it becomes dotted. It will always leave the correct following distance between the car ahead. If you try to switch lanes when a car is too close, it won’t do it. It doesn’t get angry when someone cuts in front.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between how the two work, I agree. A tractor is really good at going perfectly straight between two points but you still have to pay attention. The main difference is in how you feel after a 12 hour day using auto steer in comparison to 12 hours of manual steering. I do not know any farmers that would go back to manual steering.

Autopilot is the same feeling on a long drive. You don’t feel as tired and drained after it’s all over. Now am I going to say autopilot is perfect? No, and it probably never will be. It is evolving with each update and the difference between autopilot now and 2 years ago is huge. Lane changes now are silky smooth and happen fast. A couple years ago they were slow to initiate and had troubles when switching into a newly forming lane. Also improved a lot in how it takes corners at the correct speed and holding the position through the curve.

Another thing to consider about autopilot is that it removes human emotion from driving. It runs on a strict set of guidelines. If a lane has a solid line it will not cross that line until it becomes dotted. It will always leave the correct following distance between the car ahead. If you try to switch lanes when a car is too close, it won’t do it. It doesn’t get angry when someone cuts in front.
It doesn't pass on double solids? It will never make it in the new Canadian trucking industry. Lol

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So you're trying to tell me that your reaction time to some situation on the road is faster than a computer? You're also telling me you can predict the actions of another driver at any given time?

On average it takes a human driver 1/3 of a second just to recognize a situation on the road they need to respond to. In that time a computer is already beginning to brake or steer around.

The size of the vehicle has very little to do with it. If you're driving a smart car or a super b and someone fails to stop at an intersection in front of you in both cases you are going to hit the brakes. A computer would just apply the brakes sooner, giving a better chance that your vehicle slows or stops in time.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you're trying to tell me that your reaction time to some situation on the road is faster than a computer? You're also telling me you can predict the actions of another driver at any given time?

On average it takes a human driver 1/3 of a second just to recognize a situation on the road they need to respond to. In that time a computer is already beginning to brake or steer around.

The size of the vehicle has very little to do with it. If you're driving a smart car or a super b and someone fails to stop at an intersection in front of you in both cases you are going to hit the brakes. A computer would just apply the brakes sooner, giving a better chance that your vehicle slows or stops in time.
In some cases I agree, but in many other cases I disagree.

A good driver is always looking ahead, surveying intersections, judging traffic from all directions, putting them selves in a position to succeed. A computer will react once the situation presents itself, a quality driver will take themselves out of the situation before it becomes a problem. Most defensive driving takes place well before a computer ever knows there is a potential problem.

If I drove my rig strait down the highway with blinders on and only reacted when there was an iminent problem, there would be allot more dead people around me.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In some cases I agree, but in many other cases I disagree.

A good driver is always looking ahead, surveying intersections, judging traffic from all directions, putting them selves in a position to succeed. A computer will react once the situation presents itself, a quality driver will take themselves out of the situation before it becomes a problem. Most defensive driving takes place well before a computer ever knows there is a potential problem.

If I drove my rig strait down the highway with blinders on and only reacted when there was an iminent problem, there would be allot more dead people around me.

Exactly this.

I am amazed so many here didn’t get that. Guess it shows with how many chitty drivers there are. I’ve avoided so many accidents by reacting before a dumba$$ does something, because otherwise there isn’t always enough time.

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Exactly this.

I am amazed so many here didn’t get that. Guess it shows with how many chitty drivers there are. I’ve avoided so many accidents by reacting before a dumba$$ does something, because otherwise there isn’t always enough time.

Cyle you don’t even have brakes so you cannot comment. Anyways, do electric cars have electric brakes?

Top Bottom