My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you transfer the traffic lineup at the light to the entrance of the tunnel? Pretty sweet if your the only person using it and going only where the tunnel ends. I would say a pretty substantial cost if only one user.

You think they would build a tunnel at a cost of $10million/mile for one user?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be fairly ignorant to think ev's dont have a legitimate place and purpose as well as a grip on the market.
I think I missed my mark on this post, EV's are clearly here to stay. My point is that for a forum that has a lot of people that believe the live and let live mantra Johnny is sure taking a lot of crap for his EV. It clearly works for him and that's all that matters.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I missed my mark on this post, EV's are clearly here to stay. My point is that for a forum that has a lot of people that believe the live and let live mantra Johnny is sure taking a lot of crap for his EV. It clearly works for him and that's all that matters.

Wasn't trying to point a finger towards you, and I apologize if it came across that way. Was more trying to make a general statement that EV's are here to stay and it actually makes a lot of sense. I can't count how many people I know personally that fire up a big diesel pickup only to check the mail, get groceries or take the kids less than 1km to school. There has been numerous studies done showing how the majority of people, probably not most people on this forum but there is a world that doesn't revolve around s&m hard to believe I know, live work and play within a 30km radius and very rarely venture outside that circle. I too thought there is no way these things are going to work but after seeing and hearing actual users numbers there is nothing about a electric vehicle that doesn't make sense. Fact is the combustion engine is not efficient enough to compete against the electric motor. If people are so concerned about loosing their diesel burners and gas guzzlers perhaps they should be figuring out a way to generate 2000hp in one second and only burn half a liter per hour

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think they would build a tunnel at a cost of $10million/mile for one user?

and if the amount of uses jumps up to a sustainable level, do you really think there will be that much time savings? Access problems always slow things down.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and if the amount of uses jumps up to a sustainable level, do you really think there will be that much time savings? Access problems always slow things down.

If you insist on sitting at red lights and going 12mph through traffic then you are certainly welcome to. I'll be zooming through tunnels at 127mph :)

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. There has been numerous studies done showing how the majority of people, probably not most people on this forum but there is a world that doesn't revolve around s&m hard to believe I know, live work and play within a 30km radius and very rarely venture outside that circle.

This is where EV’s shine, and is my wife to a “T”. I would 100% buy a Tesla for my wife.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is where EV’s shine, and is my wife to a “T”. I would 100% buy a Tesla for my wife.

Yes and you would still be able to do long distance trips on the supercharger and upcoming fast dc charging routes. Although I see you are in GP so that is not a great area for charging infrastructure right now.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Haas Grot Text Web, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"It's a bypass. You've got to build bypasses." ~ Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy[/FONT]

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't trying to point a finger towards you, and I apologize if it came across that way. Was more trying to make a general statement that EV's are here to stay and it actually makes a lot of sense. I can't count how many people I know personally that fire up a big diesel pickup only to check the mail, get groceries or take the kids less than 1km to school. There has been numerous studies done showing how the majority of people, probably not most people on this forum but there is a world that doesn't revolve around s&m hard to believe I know, live work and play within a 30km radius and very rarely venture outside that circle. I too thought there is no way these things are going to work but after seeing and hearing actual users numbers there is nothing about a electric vehicle that doesn't make sense. Fact is the combustion engine is not efficient enough to compete against the electric motor. If people are so concerned about loosing their diesel burners and gas guzzlers perhaps they should be figuring out a way to generate 2000hp in one second and only burn half a liter per hour

Actually are you considering the carbon footprint in manufacturing these cars and their batteries? I too believe if they can get that in check they will have something beneficial to society. Unfortunately we will have to go through years of waste and pollution to learn how to build these things properly. (low environmental footprint) Good on people like Johnny who step up and help get the numbers going to make the future refinements worthwhile for manufacturers to pursue.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The concept of using electric motors for tractive power is an excellent one, and will eventually become mainstream one day. It will however, only become mainstream when an economical mobile source of electricity is developed. Batteries and frequent recharging needs as we see them now will prevent this from becoming much more than a niche vehicle.
And energy out always has to equal energy in plus losses. Physics. Burn half a litre per hour you get whatever energy out that that liter contains. Unless it’s uranium or dylithium crystals or something, you’re not traveling far.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes and you would still be able to do long distance trips on the supercharger and upcoming fast dc charging routes. Although I see you are in GP so that is not a great area for charging infrastructure right now.

Yeah there’s nothing up here yet for charging, the website says coming soon.. Hopefully Fox Creek or Whitecourt will get one too so we can do the trip on the winter one day

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you insist on sitting at red lights and going 12mph through traffic then you are certainly welcome to. I'll be zooming through tunnels at 127mph :)

groan ..................... we can keep going in circles. To make a tunnel system viable you need users, you get users you create congestion, its a wicked circle. Maybe the electric boys might start paying some road taxes to get it done? Hint hint.

The electric car gang is starting to remind me a bit of the natives, we get everything for free because were here first, use others roads but pay no road tax's, expect government to build charging stations but at everyone else cost. Get preferred parking because their is a charging station. Now lets let everyone else build electric only tunnels on their dime so the electrics can get there faster.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually are you considering the carbon footprint in manufacturing these cars and their batteries? I too believe if they can get that in check they will have something beneficial to society. Unfortunately we will have to go through years of waste and pollution to learn how to build these things properly. (low environmental footprint) Good on people like Johnny who step up and help get the numbers going to make the future refinements worthwhile for manufacturers to pursue.

I find it truly hilarious that all the people from the climate change deniers thread jump in here talking about carbon footprints.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The concept of using electric motors for tractive power is an excellent one, and will eventually become mainstream one day. It will however, only become mainstream when an economical mobile source of electricity is developed. Batteries and frequent recharging needs as we see them now will prevent this from becoming much more than a niche vehicle.
And energy out always has to equal energy in plus losses. Physics. Burn half a litre per hour you get whatever energy out that that liter contains. Unless it’s uranium or dylithium crystals or something, you’re not traveling far.

https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/exclusive-2019-tesla-model-s-review/

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
groan ..................... we can keep going in circles. To make a tunnel system viable you need users, you get users you create congestion, its a wicked circle. Maybe the electric boys might start paying some road taxes to get it done? Hint hint.

The electric car gang is starting to remind me a bit of the natives, we get everything for free because were here first, use others roads but pay no road tax's, expect government to build charging stations but at everyone else cost. Get preferred parking because their is a charging station. Now lets let everyone else build electric only tunnels on their dime so the electrics can get their faster.

I will gladly pay $200 extra for registration to contribute to road taxes.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will gladly pay $200 extra for registration to contribute to road taxes.
Not even close.

I know it varies per province, but in BC, 1/3 of the price of gas is taxes. So, take an average of 8.4L/100km = $0.14/km in fuel cost = $0.047/km in tax cost. Multiply by an average 20,000km/yr = $940/yr for the average driver in BC in road taxes. If everything went electric, the electric truck guys who normally burn 16L/km need to be paying double that or nearly $2000/year in taxes.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not even close.

I know it varies per province, but in BC, 1/3 of the price of gas is taxes. So, take an average of 8.4L/100km = $0.14/km in fuel cost = $0.047/km in tax cost. Multiply by an average 20,000km/yr = $940/yr for the average driver in BC in road taxes. If everything went electric, the electric truck guys who normally burn 16L/km need to be paying double that or nearly $2000/year in taxes.

I would rather have a system that charges per km rather than a flat rate. I’m not sure how they plan to actually keep track of annual mileage. The car could just charge your credit card based on kilometres driven per month.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not even close.

In BC the actual road tax portion is 6.75 cents per liter, the rest goes to provincial and federal general revenue.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of which current electric car buyers/owners pay zero .

I can live with that. To have the wealth to buy an electric car means you have a job, and a reasonably well paying one so therefore pay income tax, pay GST on the purchase price, GST on the electricity, GST on the tires and maintenance. That's all we need is another tax. There is a tax problem in Canada, some definitely don't pay their share, but the problem sure as f@ck isn't the working middle class with electric cars.

Top Bottom