My experience with the Tesla Model 3

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so.. not knowledgeable for the charging routine, if you were on the road what is a charge time? Cost? Availability? would imagine that the superchargers are faster more efficient? School me.. thanks

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so.. not knowledgeable for the charging routine, if you were on the road what is a charge time? Cost? Availability? would imagine that the superchargers are faster more efficient? School me.. thanks
A normal charge time for me is usually 10-20 minutes or $10-18. The Tesla chargers have no screen on them, you just plug in and go. The price is per minute but is tiered to reflect the charge speed. Most supercharger stations are 6-8 stalls.
Non-tesla fast chargers usually have a screen and you have to fiddle around with an app on your phone to get them going. They are usually only 1 or 2 stalls. They charge $27-30/hour and some of them have very poor speeds. 50kW charger compared to a Tesla 250kW makes a very big difference for charging times.

At this point I'd say the charging network is enough that you can almost drive almost anywhere in North America.

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 6.20.34 AM.png

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The charge time is much faster than I figured, so for a 20 min charge in average driving conditions what kind of range are you able to achieve? Does there seem to be any change in batteries between your new and old car? Better range or charge faster? Thanks

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 8198 level 2 charging stations in Canada and 1580 DC charging stations. As of june 29th 2023

• Level 2 charging stations provide 16 to 32 kilometers of range per 1 hour of charging time.
  • DC fast charging stations provide 95 to 130 kilometers of range per 20 minutes of charging time.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The charge time is much faster than I figured, so for a 20 min charge in average driving conditions what kind of range are you able to achieve? Does there seem to be any change in batteries between your new and old car? Better range or charge faster? Thanks
It's kind of hard to say because there are a lot of variables like speed, wind, terrain, road surface (wet vs dry), etc. but a 20min fast charge should give you about 200miles of range. The charge rate between my 2018 model 3 and 2023 model y is nearly identical I think (250kW peak). The battery pack on the Y is slightly larger (82kWh vs 74kWh) which makes up for some of its inefficiencies. Same 2170 cells but the newer ones have better chemistry so more energy density per kg. There is a website called... abetterrouteplanner . You can select any kind of EV, any destination, and any weather conditions and it will give you an estimate of energy usage and charging times along the way.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it armored? They were claiming it was bullet proof a couple years back if im not mistaken

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen a Tesla car towing a travel trailer just outside Edson. Should have had his 4 ways on for how slow they were driving. Maybe trying to conserve their battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FFS that’s where I used to park my enclosed when I go get a coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep it sucks, one of the smallest gas station parking lots in Valemount.
I find it more Ironic that they chose a gas station parking lot for the chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom