my clutch is hungry for belts... help

crowsfeet

Reaction score
hey guys an gals, can anyone out there explain how to set up their belt deflection properly? I just replaced my primary about two rides ago and have eaten a belt per ride since. or could it be somethin else maybe? Any help would be super. and i ride an 06 rmk 600 , thanks

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
movement in the belt up and down between the clutches should be 1 1/2 to 2 inches , adjustment is on secondary 7/16 wrench to loosen nut allen key to adjust screw , you will have to pull belt clockwise in secondary to get it in position adjust allen screw until defection in belt is good

crowsfeet

Reaction score
are there any other adjustments i could look at as i believe that measurement is correct, maybe clutch alignment or the torque stop?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the offset is a huge part in eating belts. With a 600 engine set it at 0-1/16 for larger engines 1/16-1/8 of an inch. This is so that when you are under power and the belt pulls tight the engine will actually move closer to the clutches which if offset actually pulls them straight. Here is a little pic for you to illustrate the offset sorry about quality im a mechanic not an artist!!
clutch alignment.jpg

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the offset is a huge part in eating belts. With a 600 engine set it at 0-1/16 for larger engines 1/16-1/8 of an inch. This is so that when you are under power and the belt pulls tight the engine will actually move closer to the clutches which if offset actually pulls them straight. Here is a little pic for you to illustrate the offset sorry about quality im a mechanic not an artist!!
View attachment 79407

Yep, Good post - do exactly what Polarblu said ^^^. I offset my secondary just about that much on the alignment so that under load it is perfectly straight between the clutches..

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you say you replaced your clutch? ensure it has the correct goods inside to operate for the motor. if its used sometimes a verbal word isnt good enough. pull it apart and make sure the components are correct.

will that diagram work for my limp noodle belt eating xp too? :rolleyes:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you say you replaced your clutch? ensure it has the correct goods inside to operate for the motor. if its used sometimes a verbal word isnt good enough. pull it apart and make sure the components are correct.

will that diagram work for my limp noodle belt eating xp too? :rolleyes:

LOL no Max you are screwed. Floating the secondary does help though. The revs were adjustable why not he XP?

crowsfeet

Reaction score
thanks so much polarblu. very helpful advice and i will be setting up my new clutch when i get back to b.c..

Top Bottom