Mudding Machine

SMGron

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I currently have a 2007 Yamaha Rhino 660. I have a number of things done to this machine but for the things that count, what I have done is the CDI Chip, Clutch Kit and 28" Tires. I enjoy the mud bogging the most and want to do a few conversions to make it perform better in the mud.

I was looking at just picking up a X1000 this spring since I know the best thing I could do is get like triple the HP but the 20G price tag is hefty and tuff to convince the wife that I need this haha.

I was also look at a big bore kit but don't know if this is going to be enough. I talked to Riverside Yamaha and they don't really know what the Big Bore kit will add for power although they did say it will more than double it. I know the Rhinos come with like 28 HP, who knows with the CDI Chip. Anyway if anyone can toss me some suggestions cause I am tired of getting left behind by the Can-Ams.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I currently have a 2007 Yamaha Rhino 660. I have a number of things done to this machine but for the things that count, what I have done is the CDI Chip, Clutch Kit and 28" Tires. I enjoy the mud bogging the most and want to do a few conversions to make it perform better in the mud.

I was looking at just picking up a X1000 this spring since I know the best thing I could do is get like triple the HP but the 20G price tag is hefty and tuff to convince the wife that I need this haha.

I was also look at a big bore kit but don't know if this is going to be enough. I talked to Riverside Yamaha and they don't really know what the Big Bore kit will add for power although they did say it will more than double it. I know the Rhinos come with like 28 HP, who knows with the CDI Chip. Anyway if anyone can toss me some suggestions cause I am tired of getting left behind by the Can-Ams.

RZR 900 XP

'nough said

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well no amount of money will turn a rhino into a commander 1000 but I know it is not that difficult to get 60-65 reliable horsepower out of that 660 motor. Trinity Racing 686 big bore kit with a high compression piston would be a good start along with a carb kit, high-flow intake and an opened up exhaust (don't waste your money with a slip-on exhaust all they do is make noise...full system or nothing). After that you could squeeze a few more ponies out of it with a high-lift cam and some head work if need be. It won't be cheap, but it won't be $20,000 either.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well no amount of money will turn a rhino into a commander 1000 but I know it is not that difficult to get 60-65 reliable horsepower out of that 660 motor. Trinity Racing 686 big bore kit with a high compression piston would be a good start along with a carb kit, high-flow intake and an opened up exhaust (don't waste your money with a slip-on exhaust all they do is make noise...full system or nothing). After that you could squeeze a few more ponies out of it with a high-lift cam and some head work if need be. It won't be cheap, but it won't be $20,000 either.

You're thinking high. It would be closer to $8,000 with your rhino on trade for an RZR XP.

It would suck getting a commander then having the XP's which are cheaper in price rip past you and float over bumps.

I know you don't like POlariS but right now they truly are the kings of SxS

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Commanders are wicked, mine goes 119km/h down a road and the suspension is incredible. And this past weekend I went a little too deep and got er stuck with water just inches from below the steering wheel. It was in there for about 10 minutes and it was still running when we pulled it out and not even so much as a wet belt. The reason the Commander is more expensive than anything else is the qualityof it. Really, if you want something that lasts and is reliable then spend the extra bucks and get the commander.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're thinking high. It would be closer to $8,000 with your rhino on trade for an RZR XP.

It would suck getting a commander then having the XP's which are cheaper in price rip past you and float over bumps.

I know you don't like POlariS but right now they truly are the kings of SxS

I agree 100%. The Polaris will kill any other machine out there, when it's running. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with a rhino though and for a couple grand you can make them a hell of a lot better. Truthfully I would have a narrowed down XP in my garage if money was no object...but I would definitely be keeping the rhino as a backup.

SMGron

Reaction score
Yea, I was thinking about biting the bullet and buying a new machine. Right now I might get some money out of my Rhino but I am scared that if I wait to long and with all the good machines coming out, it will be worth almost nothing in a year or two.

The other problem is how much money do I spend before I say enough is enough. I mean do I drop 3G into this machine never to recover the money because I am ultimately not happy with it?

I heard that the new RZRs that are coming out are supposed to be killer but I was really impressed with the X1000. They are totally top quality machines. I don't know a single person that has bought a CanAm that is not happy with it.

Does anyone know anything about the Alba Exhaust and the Ron Wood Exhaust? I can't find one for the 660, but I can for the Alba, but the price tag is pretty big for an exhaust system. Apparently the Ron Wood gets larger power gains but you have to repack them all of the time.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don`t waste your time on the rhino,it is ancient in the sxs world allready...You can buy a rzr XP 900 for 16500 OTD and it will destroy any other current s/s in performance and handling ,HANDS DOWN.
Just came back from the S&M jamboree and quite a few people there test drove one courtesy of Doug at Rainy Creek Polaris, ask any of them what they thought ..LOL. This thing is as fast as a renegade..What most people forget is not only does it have power but it is the only STOCK s/s with long travel.
You could put 15000 $ into your rhino and it would not even come close to a XP 900. Plus the XP900 is about 3000 $ cheaper than the commander 1000......

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don`t waste your time on the rhino,it is ancient in the sxs world allready...You can buy a rzr XP 900 for 16500 OTD and it will destroy any other current s/s in performance and handling ,HANDS DOWN.
Just came back from the S&M jamboree and quite a few people there test drove one courtesy of Doug at Rainy Creek Polaris, ask any of them what they thought ..LOL. This thing is as fast as a renegade..What most people forget is not only does it have power but it is the only STOCK s/s with long travel.
You could put 15000 $ into your rhino and it would not even come close to a XP 900. Plus the XP900 is about 3000 $ cheaper than the commander 1000......

Oh I hate to agree with you Rzrgade. But Polaris SxS is THE machine to have. Polaris has slacked on their quads and put all their resources towards SxS ;)

If you get an XP it will hold it's value a long time. This is the last chance you will have to get something out of your rhino.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the rzr XP is an awesome machine but he wants to make a mud machine and I know from some buddies experiences that they are no good for mud. They break the back axles constantly in the mud. They are trying turner axles and hoping that fixes there problem with breaking. I don't know much about sxs as I don't have one but from riding with my buddies the rzr s seems to be a better machine for mud. Everyone wants the 900 for the power and long travel suspension but they are super wide and vulnerable to trees on the trail. Axles are crap for the power and big tires. That's just what I have seen with them is all but if the polaris rep rzrgade says that's the way to go then it must be the way.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two buddies with 900 rzr's and they both have less then a couple hundred kms and they've both blown two motors each and multiple axles. They deffinatly have lots of power but thats a little unreliable if you ask me. I have buddies runnin 800 rzr's with no issues yet, one on 28" backs and the other on 27" laws

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I love my Rhino for hunting and cruising .... it goes pretty good through most mud holes as well. Got the same as you chipped 660. If I really wanted to mud it and I had the cash to spend I would go to the commander. Question is how much do you spend on a toy that gets driven a few times in the summer?? Right now I'm satisfied with the Rhino.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the rzr XP is an awesome machine but he wants to make a mud machine and I know from some buddies experiences that they are no good for mud. They break the back axles constantly in the mud. They are trying turner axles and hoping that fixes there problem with breaking. I don't know much about sxs as I don't have one but from riding with my buddies the rzr s seems to be a better machine for mud. Everyone wants the 900 for the power and long travel suspension but they are super wide and vulnerable to trees on the trail. Axles are crap for the power and big tires. That's just what I have seen with them is all but if the polaris rep rzrgade says that's the way to go then it must be the way.

It`s funny how you canam guys always quote who wins all the mud races in the states and the gncc races.....Well guess what,the RZR900 dominates the MUD races and gncc !!!! ,over the commanders as well. You can not run even a 2 inch lift on a commander with out the axles pulling out or breaking. the rzr 900 can run 31`s stock,with out a lft or clutching and that puts them at about 20 + inchs ground clearance . let`s see you can not lift a commander ,the tie rods break with bigger tires and the clutching can not handle bigger tires,...........................................................And the good OLD STYLE visco lock.....ten turn stuck!!

As far as the width issue,with the money you save between the price of a xp900 and a commander you can put on the narrowing kit from Dragonfire to make it narrower than a rzr s and it also comes with stronger axles......
I agree axles are breaking with big tires , but guess what they are breaking on every other macxhine with big tires as well.....
You should take a quick look on commander forums if you want to read about s/s problems....
Remember the rzrs outsell all other atv&/s/s by a huge market so you will hear more about there issues but that only means there are a huge amount of happy owners like me...:d

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never said a thing about the commander being better. I said the rzrs was better. Is it cause i own a outlander you assume i think the commander is better? You guys get so dam emotional when someone just states what they know about your favourite machine. I didnt say a thing about mud racing either. Im looking at a sidexside right now and its between the 900xp or the rzrs. I looked at the commander but not a huge fan of it. Im thinking more about getting the rzrs as it will be better for the trails as thats what im buying it for. I rode with a 900xp on the long weekend and its an awesome machine but a little to wide for the trails we ride at the cabin as buddy tagged a tree with front right tire and folded the a-arms.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new 900 xp razer is for the south in the sand in my mind.... not for mud, skeg ect.... just by looking at the rear swing axles ect...

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you know more than you think you know...lol. I was referring to canam owners in general ,not you specifically,however you do make a valid point. That is that most canam owners of quads assume that the canam s/s is as far a head as the quads when clearly that is not the case.
On a side note ,buy the 900 at 16500 OTD it is to good of machine to pass up....Dragonfire make a kit to narrow it to under 58 inchs&add stronger axles as well.....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new 900 xp razer is for the south in the sand in my mind.... not for mud, skeg ect.... just by looking at the rear swing axles ect...

I think it is still early in the development stage yet...This machine has so many things going for it and all that needs changing is the width...imo
There are several kits out now that:
Make it narrower
Keep huge ground clearence
Add better axles
Add skids
Add arched trailing arms and radius rods

All of this make it a skeg & mudd monster ,when set up properly and narrower than a rzr s.
You can do this for about 3000$ which is less than what a comparable commander costs. However 3000$ on a regular rzr will never give you 88 HP nor the ride of the xp900.
Remember the xp has better :
hubs
diffs
tranny
rad
frame
shocks
suspension
clutching
fuel system
and a state of the art motor......
So i think let the aftermarket guys do there job and we will see XP 900 be a VERY capable mud/trail machine ,soon:beer:

Top Bottom