mud quads?

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i'm looking for a good quad for playing in muskeg mud water, something with power and torque, so whats out their? how well do they preform?

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i'm looking for a good quad for playing in muskeg mud water, something with power and torque, so whats out their? how well do they preform?

Your best bet would be the brute force 750. Put mud tires on that and you have an insane machine with tons of hp and torque. Highly recommend one of these, own one myself with mudlites and a cltuch kits with a K&N air filter and muzzy exhuast. Out do all the polaris's and Can Ams that I've rode with.
Hope this helps!!

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2010 High Lifter ATV & UTV Mud Nationals Results

Go through the podium here and see what you think. Test drive a few and buy what you like. Every person is going to give you a different opinion. If "somewhere out there" is near Red Deer....I'll let ya test a beater 07 Outlander.

All those quads are highly modified, they don't just add mud tires and then go race in those mud bogs.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All those quads are highly modified, they don't just add mud tires and then go race in those mud bogs.

You figure all the Can Am podiums were because they were they only brand with mods? LOL.

Your opinion is BF750. MY opinion is Can Am. The next guy will say Yammy is the way to go. Anyone looking to spend money needs to test drive a few and buy what he likes. If he wants the best....get the Can Am. :smiliestirthepot:

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd say the can ams have far and away the most power and torque of any quad out there right now. the 800 renegades are plain old awesome!!!!!!!!!

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of Arctic Cat, but, if you are looking for a ready to ride in the mud or muskeg type of quad, then you might want to take a Mud Pro 1000 for a rip. But, in my humble opinion, Can-Am is the best all around quad out there.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a good atv for mud and skeg, go with the lightest you can get, heck, my kids 300 hawkeye does just as good in the skeg as the 650 I use to ride. If they get stuck, they just hop off and walk it out.

For skeg, I'd go with a light atv with IRS / best clearence with enough power to turn mud tires in the sticky stuff.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your best bet would be the brute force 750. Put mud tires on that and you have an insane machine with tons of hp and torque. Highly recommend one of these, own one myself with mudlites and a cltuch kits with a K&N air filter and muzzy exhuast. Out do all the polaris's and Can Ams that I've rode with.
Hope this helps!!

That's funny. How exactly did your BF outdo the CanAms? So far, I haven't seen a brute that could hold a candle to my Outty.:confused:

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's funny. How exactly did your BF outdo the CanAms? So far, I haven't seen a brute that could hold a candle to my Outty.:confused:

Has a lot to do with the rider to. When in doubt, put the throttle down!!

RINGER

Reaction score

I am selling an can-am outlnder with 28" tires, pipe , clutch kit , the thing rips hard second to none in power and torque in my opinion

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden both the BF750 and the Outty800 and if the Can-am SxS would have been out a year ago, I would have been in a brp not kawi.

Smidgy

Reaction score
Which quad is not really the best question as to what you are going to put on it for mods, vs. what holes are like around you.

Yamaha Grizzlies have some of the best ground clearance, probably one of the best 4 wheel drive, low wieght but relatively low power, but if you are going to run in skeg, you will still be able to turn them in low no problem. Most will say yamaha has very good reliability but you will not get there first...
Can-am has the most power and a relatively low wieght, only about 50-60 pounds heavier than a grizzly, so power to wieght is good. Ground clearance is great in back but front is a little lower. Canams have a visco lock locker which is good and bad, it controls itself but it also means you never have to get out of the throttle to engage it, will likely get you across the hole first granted you don't get stuck...
Kawi's Brute has got above average power, low wieght, low ground clearance until you add biger meats, but good after that, probably known as one of the worst relieability, some have good luck some have bad, and the seals are junk. Brute's need to be snorkeled the day you bring them home to keep the airbox clean, has lever operated locker which is gradual if you want which some people love and some hate because you have to hold it. Cheapest to buy out there.
Polaris's new 850 has got great power but is extremely heavy. Good comfort though from what I hear. I have never seen one in action but early release models were said to have issues, but that is the same with every brand when they frist come out.
Arctic cat's 1000 bikes would be awesome if they would stay together, some of the poorest quality imho, they have awesome power, and a lot to gain with mods, and if you opted for the mudpro 1000 it would come with snorkels....Every big cat I have ever seen beats out the bushings for some reason, but they do have great ground clearance. and the longer wheelbase will help keep the front down and churning in those deep holes.

If it was me, I would choose between a yamaha grizzly 700 and a canam outlander 800. Both have proved to be great machines and will last, the canam has more power but not as much usable ground clearance. The canam will usually overheat before a grizzly because of its 11:1 compression ratio creating a ton of heat & power. But you will never not be able to turn the tires in a canam....But don't just take it from me, look how many people on this forum are running either a grizzly 660-700, or a can am 650-800

enough said...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent comparo Smidgy....

Just to add: the Can Ams need to be snorkeled right away as well....the CVT exhaust is quite low.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said already it depends on your riding.
What you expect.

Some people rip across a bad spot while others go around.
End result your have a enjoyable experence.

Wife rides her rzr everyplace we go,sometimes around bad spots other times in a bad spot better than us.

I have had good luck with Polaris.
Consider power steering it is great.

Enjoy what you buy.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres a funny story a couple years ago were out east at a rally my pals got a 800 can am done to the nuts (31outlaws chiped cluthed piped etc etc etc) well if he doesnt get stuck in a muskeg hole. a group of quadders was on the other side so they get there smallest rider a little girl maybe 10 on 300 honda if she doesnt go by him not once but a few times the crowd is going crazy my pal just sits there laughing so to end this story there will be a hole somewhere that you will not make it out of without a little help

Smidgy

Reaction score
heres a funny story a couple years ago were out east at a rally my pals got a 800 can am done to the nuts (31outlaws chiped cluthed piped etc etc etc) well if he doesnt get stuck in a muskeg hole. a group of quadders was on the other side so they get there smallest rider a little girl maybe 10 on 300 honda if she doesnt go by him not once but a few times the crowd is going crazy my pal just sits there laughing so to end this story there will be a hole somewhere that you will not make it out of without a little help

Sometimes them's the breaks, can be pretty embarassing too, I once tried to follow a honda 420 with 25" rubber with my grizzly, and when I hit it I just dug a hole....end result he got across, and i didn't.... not happy:rant:

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said already it depends on your riding.
What you expect.

Some people rip across a bad spot while others go around.
End result your have a enjoyable experence.

Wife rides her rzr everyplace we go,sometimes around bad spots other times in a bad spot better than us.

I have had good luck with Polaris.
Consider power steering it is great.

Enjoy what you buy.

i'm the type that would attempt to go straight across while the others go around, not scared to sinker in good, so far i've heard lots of good things about the can-am outlanders

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love my 850. great power and reliability. the comfort is great to compared to the older polaris's. i have a 3" lift and 30" tires and i have yet to get stuck. i got the power steering model and i will never go back. you can steer the thing with one finger even with 30" meets. put the thing in 4x4 and you can't even tell because it gets no harder to steer. 4x4 system is the best imo. push the switch and go. no lockers to worrry about, no 3wd. all 4 tires are always turning.

Top Bottom