Mud Pro 1000 Reviews and Reliability

AKHunter93

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here on the forum. I do a lot of hunting and riding here in Alaska. I have done so with my Honda Rancher 350 with a set of MudLites since 2006. Before you laugh about it being Honda or only a 350 please note that I have Never had any sort of problem with this bike. I go through some crazy mud with this bike and yes I do get stuck but with the 3500lb winch I easily get out. I want something bigger now though that will hall my Moose out easier and more comfortable. Is the Mud Pro a good wheeler that will get me through crazy Mud/Marsh/Trail Terrain? I will tell you right now I will never buy a Polaris in my life. Both my brothers have the 2013 Big Boss 800 6-wheeler and 2013 Ranger 900 and they break something every damn trip. All we do is what it takes to get to our destination and yes we have to go through a bit of mud and winch out but isn't that what they are for? But with those Polaris, one thing after another every damn trip. Are all the new wheelers like that? I like the mud pro but will not get a 14k bike if I have to get a buddy to tow me out of back country every trip. Does anyone have one? I want a capable reliable wheeler that is all. I like the clearance on the Mud Pro and it looks cool and everything but is it going to break CVs and Axles every trip with a set of 28's - 30 Silverbacks? You all know the deal about riding, I go through a lot of mud.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is only my opinion from seeing what my friends have gone through owning a mud pro 650, 700, 1000, thundercat 1000, prowler1000. They are nice machines with power but the quality just doesn't seem to be there. Constantly breaking cv joints and drive shafts and a couple diffs. Bent frame on thundercat and mud pro 1000s. We do ride hard but seems that the other brands stay together better then the cats. I'm not trying to bash them and I have never owned one and never will until I see one stay together for a ride. I have owned can ams, suzukis, yamahas, and hondas and have good luck with them all. Have friends with polaris and they have been good as well. If you think they arnt reliable you won't like a cat.

AKHunter93

Reaction score
I appreciate your answer. I did more research and discovered that Arctic Cat didn't take any pride in building the MP 1000, namely how they just threw a 998cc engine on the same exact body as they used for the prior 650/700 models. They also have a very questionable price tag off the showroom. This explains why you only ever see the MPs going through mud water in all the magazines and dealers, Anything else and it breaks CVs Axles like crazy. That really sucks though, stock It has snorkel and awesome clearance! I can't imagine how often cv joints break on the MP with a set of 30' silverbacks, that's insane. When is Honda going to make a 6-wheeler? I really want one but will not buy a Polaris. I brother has one and like I said before, all he has is a set of 27-12's and we go hunting and it breaks CV's every trip no joke. Maybe I will look at a Honda Recon, have you experienced any? Honda has given me no problems ever.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can am just came out with a 6x6 outlander maybe check that out. The honda rincon from my experience are a decent machine very reliable.

2skis

Reaction score
DO NOT buy a Arctic cat mud pro quad. Learnt my lesson with a 2011. 2 engines, rad, complete wiring harness and many other little issues. And warranty don't cover down time when you are without your machine for a month at a time. Even selling it with a New crate motor I had to almost give it away just to move it. I know 2 other guys that had. Motor went in one and other one had to sent to factory cause dealer couldn't figure out issues.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe you'd be pleasantly surprised with the 2012 and 2013s. Rock solid, with lots of power. The 2012 and 2013s have a different engine casing tyan the 11s I believe. I personally love the Mud pros and had the wonderful opportunity to ride one this past season. I saw many going out for work purposes with no probs. Each manufacturer will have a Whoopsie Year. No matter what brand you look at. I believe you would be happy with a 2012 or 2013 MP 700 or 1000

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^ says someone who sells them lol :D

Haa haa.. I know what you're saying. I am no longer working at a dealership, I'm home writing for magazines, running a holistic healing practice, working for Koocanusa Publications in their business department, worm farming AND... being the best momma bear I can to the kids.

I was super surprised when I took the Mudpros out. Terry would let me ride a variety of units, and my favorites became the Mud Pros by far. The 700 was awesome but the 1000 had a little more oomph. I never had any problems with the ones I rode, and paid close attention to what was gong out, and coming back for service. The Engine issues of the 11s was rectified for the 12 and 13s. I asked a LOT of questions. what I liked about the Mud pros was the comfy ride, lots of power and the fact that everything you need comes stock with the machine. I saw several people purchase a new machine, then immediately snorkle it.. then upgrade the tires rims,.. then the clutching... then the bumpers then a winch... by the time they were done they were several thousands of dollars past their initial purchsing price. I have lots of respect for other units out there, but really do honestly believe in the Mud pro set up as it is now. They did some pretty funky rad relocate kits at T and T as well.. if someone is really really wanting to mud it up, that would be one of the only things I'd incorporate.

Just my 2cents! Not selling.. just admiring!

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest piles of crap had my tcat for six months prop shaft. Diffs. Actuator. Water pump. Starter. Buddie had a 10 mp 1k . 1100 km three motors and two clutches. Other guy got a 12 1k. 150 km and new motor. No swamping. Get a can am or a popo and never look back

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, all these answers..lol ..some like this and some like that... FACT: they ALL are junk and break down quite a bit.. maybe Honda is the best out of all.. but again have heard horror stories on them too.....these are toys.. toys break... when you have machines that don't have the power of a can-am or Polaris, then lots of things don't break.. metal is metal and things break cause of 1) the thumb! lol and as these machines get more and more power, then more and more can and will break... 2) lack of maintenance.. everybody buys one but when it comes to work on them.. they don't know anything or are to scrared to do it themselves... one thing I can tell you is that id rather have a good cornering quad with lots of power and good suspension.. and with that comes lots of repairs...

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a brute force and after watching the can ams. That will be my next quad.

Top Bottom