MPI Viper vs M8000

sled obsessed

Reaction score
Hi guys, need someone to talk some sense to me. Have a viper snow checked but can't help thinking, would the M8000 be a better choice? I'm coming off an mpi nytro, which I love riding but it will be impossible to sell, can prob get the cat for 3K cheaper. One thing about the cat is it would drive me crazy if it was a belt eater. I love the reliability of the Yamaha. Don't really want to mod this sled, just ride it. Decisions.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the new m are hard on belts they had that fixed. I would go 2 stroke the cat 800 is one of the most reliable 800s made. The first time you are in waste deep snow you will thank you self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the viper, i can tell you that the viper is very easy to ride and with the turbo it wont even be close. If your used to ridding the nytro you will toss the viper around like nothing. I can say I find the viper feels lighter than my M1000 and M8 turbo do.

aderry

Reaction score
Buy an m8000 and keep the nytro for the deep days. Could probably pick up a good deal on a left over 2014.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy both and have the best of both worlds and pick which one to ride based on conditions

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love how when a guy asks for some help and says he wants to keep is stockish all he gets is "add a turbo" and "buy both comments"... I think the M8000 would be a great choice. Plus 3G is a lot of coin to spend on trips alone this year. Just my thought though

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Know a few of is running updated and 14 proclimbs with zero belt issues, you can't beat 4stroke reliability and there was a lot of buzz around the vipers this season but they're still heavier. Coming off the older four stroke to either you will be happy, I am biased as the 1100T cat made me love my 800 so personally I'd go that route but I'd be a liar if I were to say I hadn't thought about this myself, if they could get a four under 500lbs dry I'd be on one until then the extra 40lbs is substantial and 3k is a lot of riding

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having spent significant seat time on both the viper and a proclimb and an m series sled the weight of the viper is not as bad as some people think. If I could only have one sled I'll take a bit more power all day long as to me you don't really notice the weight.
... And my viper is a 174 and the others were 162's

sled obsessed

Reaction score
great to hear so much good feedback on the viper. Also, a good point that 3k can buy a whole bunch of gas and hotel rooms. I think this may come down to a last minute decision but am leaning toward the viper again. I have to say that resale is a consideration and I hope the vipers will move quicker on kijiji that the t-nytro's do. Do you guys think the 180 vipers will do ok with the stock skid or will they be wheely-ing (that's a word) over on a good climb.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can add a z bros coupling kit for like 100$ it keeps it in check

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having spent significant seat time on both the viper and a proclimb and an m series sled the weight of the viper is not as bad as some people think. If I could only have one sled I'll take a bit more power all day long as to me you don't really notice the weight.
... And my viper is a 174 and the others were 162's

Hearing this story often is exactly why this season I will be logging some Yammy miles

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread, I have been on a 2009 M1000 and I am leaning towards the viper next year as I do not think there is a lot of weight difference from my current sled? The longevity of the 4 stroke is appealing. I also have a 2012 pro for back up sled and have ridden the XM and they have not impressed me. Not sure if it is the torque of the 1000 and I find the M series handles and sidehills better. I can see myself on a new Viper next year but for sure want to ride on this season.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great to hear so much good feedback on the viper. Also, a good point that 3k can buy a whole bunch of gas and hotel rooms. I think this may come down to a last minute decision but am leaning toward the viper again. I have to say that resale is a consideration and I hope the vipers will move quicker on kijiji that the t-nytro's do. Do you guys think the 180 vipers will do ok with the stock skid or will they be wheely-ing (that's a word) over on a good climb.

you will have to couple the skid....there are some good bolt in kits now

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should also add that I have a Boost it turbo on my viper so I am running more power than 180 hp but i still ride in the trees lots, gennerally when i ride im the only turbo in our group ridding with all the two strokes and do just fine, i was nervous building a sled I had never even ridden but dont regret it for one second. If i had a choice on any day Id take my viper before the M1000 even in the spring, i find it easier to ride.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stick with Yamaha, 'cuse reliability issue. Second, cats are very hard to sell, ppl afraid to buy them.
Just my 5 cents

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread, I have been on a 2009 M1000 and I am leaning towards the viper next year as I do not think there is a lot of weight difference from my current sled? The longevity of the 4 stroke is appealing. I also have a 2012 pro for back up sled and have ridden the XM and they have not impressed me. Not sure if it is the torque of the 1000 and I find the M series handles and sidehills better. I can see myself on a new Viper next year but for sure want to ride on this season.
you are right this a good thread and it definitely makes sense to ride the viper prior to purchasing though it sounds like you are very happy with your 1000.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet, my 1000 has been solid and has been a excellent machine and runs strong. Being 6 ft 4 and 230 I notice a huge difference getting on a 800.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stick with Yamaha, 'cuse reliability issue. Second, cats are very hard to sell, ppl afraid to buy them.
Just my 5 cents

Have you looked on a classifieds page?? There isn't many proclimbs for sale and when they are they sell quick! I'm on mountain sledder swapmeet on Facebook and there is 10 new pros listed everyday, now those are a hard sell guys are pricing one year old sleds at 7 grand and still having trouble moving them. Now back on topic! The proclimb 8 is as solid as a sled as you will get especially if buying 2015's the vipers are desired by many as well and are getting good reviews once turboed

Top Bottom