MPI Viper vs M8000

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet, my 1000 has been solid and has been a excellent machine and runs strong. Being 6 ft 4 and 230 I notice a huge difference getting on a 800.

I bet you feel cramped on an M8000, they feel very small and the seat is really short, just because of you size I would say Viper and turbo it, the 800 will leave you wanting more power

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine rides a 800 proclimb. Seems to work fine for but except for having to fill it up half way through the day. I find the 4 stroke will last all day long for gas. Spend the extra 3k and you'll save that in gas over the years.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree viper all the way, I have had many sleds also and always ending up turboing my 2 strokes or wanting to get more power out of them somehow.. I am going viper with the boost it turbo though, I always want more power!!

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't ridden the Vipers yet, but like you, had the Nytro and really loved riding it. No doubt, the 4 strokes are heavier.... on flat ground and dry before you ride.
But i have seen a video lately, that shows how much each different sled weighs when it's full of snow and when up at elevation. Poo gained 120+ lbs of snow, Doo gained 80+ lbs and the Yammy only gained another 45 lbs after a few hrs of riding.
The power to weight ratio is also quite a bit better on the Yammy at elevation, than either the Doo or the Poo. Cat wasn't in on the sleds compared.
What they showed, was how much better the Yammy rear skid and tunnel, removed snow as it was riding. I would go with your gut feeling and live with it.
I went back to the XM last year, and now have the T3 coming as well, just because of my love for the rider position on the Doo. But believe me, the Yammy was pretty close to coming back into the stable :) There are just so many more options and so much more reliability with the 4-strokes IMHO

Good luck

RN

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need someone to talk some sense to me. Have a viper snow checked but can't help thinking, would the M8000 be a better choice? I'm coming off an mpi nytro, which I love riding but it will be impossible to sell, can prob get the cat for 3K cheaper. One thing about the cat is it would drive me crazy if it was a belt eater. I love the reliability of the Yamaha. Don't really want to mod this sled, just ride it. Decisions.

I rode both the mpi viper and the m8000 at a demo ride. Your going to love the mpi viper. It feels like it has a lot more than 180. Big smile on my face riding it because it was not what I expected. Really didn't want to give it back. Lol
Me coming off of a xm the weight was noticeable but not like other four strokes. Could possibly see one in my garage if the hp is not boosted on the two strokes. And I would of never considered a 4stroke till the viper.

Nice chassis. Seasoned four stroke riders and the t-viper is IMO a win for Yamaha.

I hated nytros weird feeling chassis, so no comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sled obsessed

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this turned into a great thread. Pumped about the viper. Getting really pumped about riding this winter. Need to get the nytro up on Kijiji. Wonder when can expect the phone call to come pick up the snow check?

anyone know if it comes with tether and rollover valve, or will a guy need to buy that extra.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could possibly see one in my garage if the hp is not boosted on the two strokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They will not be able to squeeze much more out of the stock 800 cylinder without sacrificing reliability, which has already been sacrificed depending on who you ask. Unless there is a drastic change in the engine dynamics, port changes, fuel delivery, or a move to things like twin pipes from the factory, there will not be a big jump in gains unless they add some displacement or significantly increase upper RPM limits and still maintain good torque. Even then, the CVT is less efficient at high RPM so that's going backwards a little. The factories and aftermarket have been working on this for decades, if there was easy, cheap, reliable power to be had in an 800 2 stroke, it would have been found by now. Like Doo's new ACE 900, the development money is simply being spent on other engines at this point.
Thanks guys, this turned into a great thread. Pumped about the viper. Getting really pumped about riding this winter. Need to get the nytro up on Kijiji. Wonder when can expect the phone call to come pick up the snow check?

anyone know if it comes with tether and rollover valve, or will a guy need to buy that extra.
You will need to buy those things extra.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will not be able to squeeze much more out of the stock 800 cylinder without sacrificing reliability, which has already been sacrificed depending on who you ask. Unless there is a drastic change in the engine dynamics, port changes, fuel delivery, or a move to things like twin pipes from the factory, there will not be a big jump in gains unless they add some displacement or significantly increase upper RPM limits and still maintain good torque. Even then, the CVT is less efficient at high RPM so that's going backwards a little. The factories and aftermarket have been working on this for decades, if there was easy, cheap, reliable power to be had in an 800 2 stroke, it would have been found by now. Like Doo's new ACE 900, the development money is simply being spent on other engines at this point.
You will need to buy those things extra.

True!!

As far as reliability, there are quite a few 800's making big power and log big miles.
Take doo for example, they have a great 800. If they did something similar like yamaha and offered a say 850+ cc or a small turbo producing 180 in a t3 I'm all in!! even if the engine only had very limited warranty. There are etec bb's out there that work extremely well and log big mileage, and good running turbos doing the same.

At the end of the day yamaha still backing non turbo related warranty issues is a awesome thing.
Will be following these types of threads close this winter. I'm glad I got some seat time in and compared to a turned up 1100t the viper just flat out felt better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't ridden the Vipers yet, but like you, had the Nytro and really loved riding it. No doubt, the 4 strokes are heavier.... on flat ground and dry before you ride.
But i have seen a video lately, that shows how much each different sled weighs when it's full of snow and when up at elevation. Poo gained 120+ lbs of snow, Doo gained 80+ lbs and the Yammy only gained another 45 lbs after a few hrs of riding.
The power to weight ratio is also quite a bit better on the Yammy at elevation, than either the Doo or the Poo. Cat wasn't in on the sleds compared.
What they showed, was how much better the Yammy rear skid and tunnel, removed snow as it was riding. I would go with your gut feeling and live with it.
I went back to the XM last year, and now have the T3 coming as well, just because of my love for the rider position on the Doo. But believe me, the Yammy was pretty close to coming back into the stable :) There are just so many more options and so much more reliability with the 4-strokes IMHO

Good luck

RN

Sorry to hijack this, but I read this and had to put my two cents in...
Really!!? 120+ pound of snow is about 15 gallons of water. I agree that snow build up adds weight, but that is a stretch.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True!!

As far as reliability, there are quite a few 800's making big power and log big miles.
Take doo for example, they have a great 800. If they did something similar like yamaha and offered a say 850+ cc or a small turbo producing 180 in a t3 I'm all in!! even if the engine only had very limited warranty. There are etec bb's out there that work extremely well and log big mileage, and good running turbos doing the same.

At the end of the day yamaha still backing non turbo related warranty issues is a awesome thing.
Will be following these types of threads close this winter. I'm glad I got some seat time in and compared to a turned up 1100t the viper just flat out felt better.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

800 is about the max displacement before you start seeing vibration, they've all had bigger displacement motors that made more HP than their current 800s (Doo RT1000....) but bigger displacement is laced with problems that really need counterbalance etc. It makes for a hard starting motor when cold, ask anyone with a big displacement twin...etc etc......All this adds up to development time for the motor and every time the emissions guidelines change, you have to re-design. Look at Cat, 1000 triple and then a 1000 twin but still not making it. A big portion of it is emissions. There are big bores out there that run day in and out but these are not subject to the same emissions restrictions that the manufacturers are. Maybe with the introduction of the T3 and bigger loads on the motors from these tall tracks, they will have to go back bigger, but probably not going to re-design for only 50 cc and will not put a turbo 2 smoker together from the factory. To get 180 HP stock they will need 1000 cc or more in 2 stroke design and you still lose power at elevation. 4 stroke and boost will get you sea level power at altitude, people are just going to have to accept a little more weight. Doo built the ACE 900 because the 1200 didn't fit in the XP chassis, this was a start..... I hope that Doo's plan is to use the 900 ACE and eventually spin a compressor wheel off it, then you would see reliable 180-200 HP at altitude to spin that 3" track all day.... :)

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score

Based on what my Yamaha rep told me last week we will see the Viper MTX's in Oct

Top Bottom