MPI (Dobeck) fuel boxes

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you keeping yours dry and where are you mounting it? Got pics?

I've just got mine on the fuel tank cowling beside the steering column. I'm thinking about keeping it under the hood to keep it dry. I'm hearing they get wet easy then crap out until they are dried out.

Ziplock bag? Pelican case? What works?

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the GEMS? If so I have mine mounted in the location that the reverse lever would normally be. I'm in the process of making the cut-out part f the cowling into a hinged cover. So far it works great.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the GEMS? If so I have mine mounted in the location that the reverse lever would normally be. I'm in the process of making the cut-out part f the cowling into a hinged cover. So far it works great.

The MPI box is a dobeck programmed specifically for the charger. It's also used for some turbo's with different programming. I didn't want to limit ideas to just us guys with MPI kits....if someone out there runs a dobeck box of any kind and has some thing that works please share.

I'll have to have a look at that spot when I get home. Your going to make a hinged cover that you can flip up and tweak the programming when needed? I've got mine where I can see it and the AFR gauge at the same time. So I can see what fuel mode the controller is in and know where to adjust fuel.

Sounds like you maybe don't adjust your settings too often if it's down where the reverse lever would be? If after running mine on a few trip and I don't need to adjust much then outta site would work. I've just got one ride on it so far.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll tak a pic tommorow and post here. With my cover open it would still be pretty easy to see all though maybe at speed it could a little dicey :eek:.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is where I'm at so far..... I just need to figure out how to make into a removable panel that looks clean.

Attachments

• IMG00148-20101018-1811.jpg
    IMG00148-20101018-1811.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG00147-20101018-1810.jpg
    IMG00147-20101018-1810.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 189

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is where I'm at so far..... I just need to figure out how to make into a removable panel that looks clean.

Thanks, I like the cover idea to keep the snow dust off and never thought of mounting it under that panel. I guess you don't adjust your often?

I might make up a cover out of clear lexan or plexi and valcro it over the controller to keep it dry.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to install a new A/F guage and then I'll be adjusting it. :d

I'm just going to use the cut-out piece for the cover. I just haven't figured out yet how to make it easily removed/opened AND look factory. The factory look being the hardest to achieve. I have a few ideas on how to accomplish this and I just need to check around for the parts needed to make it happen. I'll post some finished pics soon. Cheers!!:beer:

modsledr

Reaction score
We have a Food Saver with the heavy duty plastic and I made a "bag" that fits the control box and extends about 3" onto the wires, and then zip tied it shut, and zip tied it to the side of my steering riser so i could see it for adjustment and tuning. Works great.

I got mine wet once and the sled would not run.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Food Saver with the heavy duty plastic and I made a "bag" that fits the control box and extends about 3" onto the wires, and then zip tied it shut, and zip tied it to the side of my steering riser so i could see it for adjustment and tuning. Works great.

I got mine wet once and the sled would not run.

What's a "Food Saver", like tupperware, a plastic box of some kind? MPI recommended a zip lock bag. I'm thinking along these lines then valcroing just infront of my steering column, infront of the stock gauges.

kylem991

Reaction score
The MPI box is a dobeck programmed specifically for the charger. It's also used for some turbo's with different programming. I didn't want to limit ideas to just us guys with MPI kits....if someone out there runs a dobeck box of any kind and has some thing that works please share.

I'll have to have a look at that spot when I get home. Your going to make a hinged cover that you can flip up and tweak the programming when needed? I've got mine where I can see it and the AFR gauge at the same time. So I can see what fuel mode the controller is in and know where to adjust fuel.

Sounds like you maybe don't adjust your settings too often if it's down where the reverse lever would be? If after running mine on a few trip and I don't need to adjust much then outta site would work. I've just got one ride on it so far.

i just recently bought a used superchargered apex, and am just diailing it in, and i am looking for some information on how to tune these boxes, where can i find this kind of information?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just recently bought a used superchargered apex, and am just diailing it in, and i am looking for some information on how to tune these boxes, where can i find this kind of information?

Here's some reading material for background and operating:

Attachments

• GEMS Tune tips.txt
    838 bytes · Views: 75
  • GEMS Tune tips II.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 90

blownapex

Reaction score
I got mine wet about two weeks ago. crapped right out.. could hardly get the sled to run. it actually split on one corner. so thats how i assume water got in. the new one i might bput a little silcone and bag it.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've silicons the hell out of mine. I'd still liketo find a better solution.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's a "Food Saver", like tupperware, a plastic box of some kind? MPI recommended a zip lock bag. I'm thinking along these lines then valcroing just infront of my steering column, infront of the stock gauges.

Food Saver is one of them vacuum sealing units. Like for vacuum packing meat/veggiesto put in the freezer.

We could seal up a little lexan box for it shawn, with a snap lid top. I gotta run to Industrial Plastcis anyway, let me know if you want some lexan picked up.

I like the food saver type idea, don't have to open anything to hit the buttons. Need to find some of that clear "shrink wrap" stuff that they use to package toys, etc and wrap the box, then hit it with the heat to shrink wrap it and it will be waterproof.

Top Bottom