MPI Apex A/F gauge questions

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple of quick questions re: A/F gauge install on an MPI stage I Apex.

Where's a good place to pick up an AEM A/F gauge in Calgary? One of the performance automotive shops must sell them.

Where is the best place to install the bung to get the most reliable readings? I think most have installed them just in front of the muffler. I've hear you need to keep snow off the O2 sensor. Do I need to mount it verticle on top of the exhaust then cut a hole through the exhaust heat shield? Do I need to fab up a shield of some sort to keep snow off?

Thanks,

Shawn.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to install the bung to get the most reliable readings? I think most have installed them just in front of the muffler. I've hear you need to keep snow off the O2 sensor. Do I need to mount it verticle on top of the exhaust then cut a hole through the exhaust heat shield? Do I need to fab up a shield of some sort to keep snow off?

Thanks,

Shawn.

Let me know when you want it welded, gotta take mine to Ian's and get the bung welded in as well. Can do yours at the same time.

20-30cms from the header, sensor should be mounted with a vertical component so that fluids drain away from it on the inside and outside. Not sure about keeping snow off it, they are mounted under the car in the road spray and grime all the time, never seem to have an issue with the snow.

Bosch's website has more info on them as well.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman, I'll try and take you up on that welding offer...maybe get a few other of my "oh *&^%" fixed at the same time!

I've got no room on the Apex near the headers. I know there are a ton of Apexes running around out there with AFR but probably not many with stock exhaust. I was hoping to hear some detail or see a pic from an install on a stock exhaust. I'm sure they are all mounted just in front of the muffler but the devil's in the details and I was hoping to not re-invent the wheel here.

I've hear that snow throws the readins haywire but your right about vehicle O2 sensors. Maybe it's got something to do with snow cooling the sensor down, I know they have heaters and need to be hot to read correctly.

Thanks for the heads up on the Bosch site, good info.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up an AEM AF from Mopac, man they have a lot of guages in stock...good prices too!

I think I'm going to install downstream of the muffler on one of the side tubes. I guess this has worked for some and keeps it out of the snow.

Just need some 5lb pullies and I'll be ready to install.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you going to bring that tree banger down ?. install the o2 sensor on right side tail pipe so it will clear the plastics. i have mine in the center before the muff and it seems to cool to much when in snow. fraser sled i installed there and it seems to work well. i have a line on blow off valves for 250 and they are very nice, work awsome too, buy a tiel and you will be 500, let me know and i wil pm you the site

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the A/F sensor location, works great. Stable readings on and off trail. Any tips on keeping the moisture out of the gauge? Mine is fogging up which likely ain't good for the gauge electronics. Just silicone the crap out of it?

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go back to mopack and get gauge cups or pods, they are black steel cups with rubber seals for the wiring. install them under (around the bottom) of your gauges. silicone the openings and you should be good or better. mine still fog up once in awhile but not often. try that and see what happens.worked good for me

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Colin, I got the cup but have not siliconed yet.

How's the BOV testing going...I'm waiting to here how you like that auzzie BOV before I order one.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya it works great. go to the thread about "IJUST BOUGHT A S/C SLED NOW WHAT" i explain the complete set up and the valve. when you going to bring the tank out. we are having an epic month.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be able to just replace the sensor, it's probably made by NTK. I've heard the FJO gauge is a good gauge, don't chuck it unless you have to. I'd give them a call, I think they are out of Winnipeg.

What fuel are you running?

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are correct about the sensors and lead. They will generally last a season, most people get their settings within limits and then either disconnect the sensor and take it out and only use it if they experience a problem, or leave it in and kill it. either way new sensors are only 80$ cad at mopac. call them and tell them your gauge set up and they will most likely have a sensor in stock. most high performance places stock both bosh and ntk sensors.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya it works great. go to the thread about "IJUST BOUGHT A S/C SLED NOW WHAT" i explain the complete set up and the valve. when you going to bring the tank out. we are having an epic month.

Split the diff and ride Fernie!?

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
free room and board here i dont know man. lol I could see what i can do but it wont be this weekend. once you come out here and ride it would be hard for you to go anywhere else.lol no one comes so fresh all day everyday shhhh oops

Top Bottom