moving residential gas line

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Short story, I want to build a garage. I had locates done... gas line divides my property in half. Can a guy ditch witch a new line and have it tied in? how much $$ we talkin'? Can you build a garage over the gas line knowingly? Am I moving to a new house? lol Fack me....

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a garage years ago, and built it on top of the gas line without issue. Not sure if the rules may have changed or not. Not sure if that’s changed. Best bet would be to call your local gas company and ask them.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We built a garage addition over the gas line a few years back. Had to have ATCO put a sleeve around it. This ensures any gas leak does not build up under slab. Involved a small crew, backhoe and directional drill. Cost I think was somewhere around $2,000 +/- if I remember correctly. Call ATCO, they were decent to deal with.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATCO has to sleeve it. They charged me $2700 in 2016 when I built my garage.
They came out with a vac truck and high pressure hose. Dug a hole down to where it was and said oops , it’s already sleeved.
Gave me back my $2700 plus offered to bring a cleanup crew back.
A lot of sub divisions are already sleeved.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in Calgary, my house was built in 67. In 06 l tore down my double garage and built a triple. I had heard l needed to sleeve the gas line so did. No one from the city ever asked about it though. I think it was only $800 at the time but could be mistaken.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in Calgary, my house was built in 67. In 06 l tore down my double garage and built a triple. I had heard l needed to sleeve the gas line so did. No one from the city ever asked about it though. I think it was only $800 at the time but could be mistaken.

The liability of building over a gas line will still fall on you later though, and it will be big $$$ after a garage is on it. Best not to trust the city for anything like that.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The liability of building over a gas line will still fall on you later though, and it will be big $$$ after a garage is on it. Best not to trust the city for anything like that.

I think they could have just as easily done the work after the fact. A small hole in the alley and one next to the house was all. I had my gas meter moved out of the basement at the same time.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they could have just as easily done the work after the fact. A small hole in the alley and one next to the house was all. I had my gas meter moved out of the basement at the same time.

They COULD but Atco? Nope. Try asking them, I bet they double or triple price to sleeve it after. Maybe even refuse and force to put a new line in. They are as bad as government, and have all the power they want.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that if you build over a non-sleeved gas line and ATCO needs to do repairs you may have to have your garage rebuilt lol

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Short story, I want to build a garage. I had locates done... gas line divides my property in half. Can a guy ditch witch a new line and have it tied in? how much $$ we talkin'? Can you build a garage over the gas line knowingly? Am I moving to a new house? lol Fack me....

Call Gregg at this # he runs a mechanical company and is a good friend and specializes in this also knows the inspectors who look after inspections. Here is his #780 910-8550 you will be glad you called.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I rebuild back alleys daily, and as far as i know in saskatchewan... No gas line should run under a structure. Always beside. And the gas lines are to be run straight off the main.

We recently excavated a lane that never had the gas lines ran straight off the main and when we got our locates done and hydrovacced the line was beside a garage, but then cut in at a 45 degree angle for about 8 feet down the lane. So when excavating the line was hit. After an OH&S investigation it was deemed no fault due to the line not being run straight off the main.

Gas mains are usually 1000mm below surface structure in alleys and easements. meanwhile the house services should be 500mm+ in residential property. But the deeper the better. Also ensure that you are maintaining 12" separation between power and gas. These are just the numbers we use. But best to do your research on your providers. Hiring a hydrovac can run you $300 an hour, but they do the job extremely fast, clean, and safely.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
59ee8976512934bd955a37a2f0b3c520.jpg

Here’s a prime example of why you ensure proper depth. A service to a business was only 480mm down. I caught it with the grader on Monday. Luckily I felt it and stopped before the like burst.

I don’t know how the services work there, but they do investigations on cases that don’t follow the regulations on depths.

We found a gas valve on a main in another alley that wasn’t even on the map, a private company was contracted to remove it in 2017. And there’s going to be a full investigation and follow up possible fines.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
need to call your local utilities and talk to them... I know here that is not allowed

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201021/59ee8976512934bd955a37a2f0b3c520.jpg

Here’s a prime example of why you ensure proper depth. A service to a business was only 480mm down. I caught it with the grader on Monday. Luckily I felt it and stopped before the like burst.

I don’t know how the services work there, but they do investigations on cases that don’t follow the regulations on depths.

That had escalation all over it !

We found a gas valve on a main in another alley that wasn’t even on the map, a private company was contracted to remove it in 2017. And there’s going to be a full investigation and follow up possible fines.

That had escalation all over it !

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I know more about this than I want to admit.

In Edmonton ATCO has to do all the work. I had a buddy who would do the trenching but was told by ATCO upper management that if they don’t do the trench they can not touch the project.
We had the line directionally drilled so as not to disturb the soil (could cause concrete to crack at later date).
Had a larger line installed at the same time, they decided to eat that cost, don’t know why. The tie in was 8’ down so they had a hydro Vac to clean it up before tie in. They backfill with sand, tamp and finish with about a two feet of concrete and then the pavement (back alley).
Cost was about $4000.
—— Now for the bad part —-
After the concrete was poured, many weeks after tie in, ATCO up and disappeared. They left a 8’x6’ x 20” deep hole, half in alley and half in my yard.
Contractor wouldn’t start garage pad until ATCO was done, but pavement is a City responsibility. City says they have no request from ATCO. Later I saw the requests (2) from ATCO.
If contractors damages concrete or leaves dirt on it etc we (them and myself) get a bill for correcting it prior to pavement. It took 12 weeks to get it done which ended up being early Nov.
—— Now the good part ——
Stuart Dewar (upper management) from ATCO personally stopped by my house to apologize for all the trouble and offered to make things right.
I was extremely impressed that ATCO admitted to causing grief.
That great customer service.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. lots of phone calls coming up before spring.

Top Bottom