Mounting a sled deck

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is the deal. I bought an 03 Superduty this spring and intend to load my sled deck into it. It is a homebuilt job, uses ratchet straps to get it tied in. I'm not super into using the 4 tie down cleats in the corners of the bed, for a few reasons. Firstly, I question their strength. Secondly, one is missing and when trying to put a new one in, I cracked off the bolt head, and am having a real biatch of a time getting it taken back out.

Would a guy be able to get some grade 8 D-rings and bolts and bolt it through the frame and the box floor? Would this be a good way to go about it? Should I set up some belly bars and load it like a camper?

How are you guys getting these units mounted in these fancy new trucks?

Thanks for you help.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I presume a guy wants to get through the frame rails when bolting this down? Can the floor support such weight?

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
No you don't to go through the frame rails, just the box. You'll need 3/4" plywood between the deck legs and the box. Also you need the large rectangular plates underneath. Mine are threaded to make installation a breaze. The bolts and plates came with the deck. I've had mine mounted this way since i've owned it (years) and it has never come loose. I have a marathon deck and that's how they recommended i install it. No probs at all.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Also i usually always have 2 sleds on the deck, or quads depending on the season. My buddy puts his Rhino up there and he also has had no probs.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be some plates under the box, and attach big D rings to them and leave them in the box permanent, will make it really easy to put the deck in/out and is a good secure tie-down all the time. I did it only in the front on my last truck, and used the 2 rear factory tie downs, as the front is the ones that really need it.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be some plates under the box, and attach big D rings to them and leave them in the box permanent, will make it really easy to put the deck in/out and is a good secure tie-down all the time. I did it only in the front on my last truck, and used the 2 rear factory tie downs, as the front is the ones that really need it.

Thats what I would do too if you dont plan on leaving it in your truck year round. Ultimately bolting it through the box with plates underneath is the best but not if you want to remove it after every trip.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used 1/2 plate, 5/8 eyebolts, lives with the truck, in the corners out of the way. Then got 5/8 turnbuckles to hold the deck down, 1 in each corner. Can actually bend the deck so the ramp wont come out, so I have to watch how tight I get them. Yes the deck is a good quailty, built here in Alberta, no off shore junk. All mounted in a 1ton dually long box.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend a belly bar as I have seen them bend decks when they are tied to them. Bolt it through the box or fix the factory tie down. Just my $.o2.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a ford with a marathon bolted to the floor roll over with two quads on the deck and the deck broke off on the first roll leaving the frame of the deck behind it the box. The second roll smashed the cab, for this reason I added a belly bar to mine just don't over tighten it. I should of taken a picture but I didn't, it left the quads upside down still tied to the deck!

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Yeouch! Like i said thru the box is plenty. Use the 3/4" plywood in each corner under the deck legs or it'll come loose. Bolt thru the ply. I suppose all these suggestions would work or folks wouldn't be recommending them.:d Whatever's easiest for you. I take mine out every year with no probs.:beer:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys, now to get the ol girl mounted into the truck for the winter. Spent last night shovelling it off, hopefully tonight I can get it up in there.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of "side to side" motion in a pickup, especially with a little bigger tire. When you stretch your sides out, and get the weight of two sleds or quads that high and wide, you amplify the side to side motion. When the bottom of the legs are bolted through the floor, there is a lot of force working against the welds between the main frame and legs. By tying off from the top of the frame, down to the box floor or factory box anchors, you eliminate almost all of the sideways force. We use 1/2" turnbuckles and quick links to fasten our decks to the box anchors. In 7 years, I haven't seen one cracked weld, or a single damaged box anchor, and I have sold a lot of decks. If it makes you sleep better, you can still throw a bolt through the bottom of the leg.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I snapped one of my box ties winching a moose into the box. Not sure I would trust them now either. The ones on my old Chev were much bigger than these new ford ones. I like the plate and D ring idea myself. Easy to remove the deck and D-rings would be handy with a variety of loads in the summer as well. How did you finally decide to do it??

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I snapped one of my box ties winching a moose into the box. Not sure I would trust them now either. The ones on my old Chev were much bigger than these new ford ones. I like the plate and D ring idea myself. Easy to remove the deck and D-rings would be handy with a variety of loads in the summer as well. How did you finally decide to do it??

I'm going to mount in some D-rings. I like the multi use approach, and the steel that this deck was built with is pretty damned thick, I wasn't looking forward to drilling through that shazz. The deck will stay in the truck over the winter, but come out in spring, so I may as well have some D-rings to use when loading other things come summertime.

Thanks again everyone.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the slickest system i see was on my buddys truck his deck clips right into his fifth wheel hitch the deck had the pin on the bottom side and slid right into his hitch i thought it was an awesome idea :d:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya when I first got my deck, I just strapped it to my gooseneck hitch chain hooks, but you loose to much box space. Although you'll never have to worry about pulling them out!

highmarkdude

Reaction score
Most truck have a channell on the underside that runs box width about 8" from the front of the box . On most decks with a single full width front leg , Titan , Bull dog , X Deck you can bolt through the front leg and into the chanell .

IMHO much stronger than just bolting through your sheetmetal boxfloor ;)

Top Bottom