Motorcross

MOBILE

Reaction score
So my 6 year old is so interested in motorcross. I want some info. Example- How expensive is this sport? Can he try it before I make a huge investment? Where is a good place to get equipment, bike etc? Thanks

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been involved in motocross and hare scrambles for over 36 years now. Both my sons race, one in MX and the other in hare scrambles and I started them when they were 7 and 10 years old. The season is just starting again, I suggest you go to a local race ( check the CMRC or CMA websites, they are the main sanctioning bodies in Canada ) and talk to some of the parents there. Be aware that you may run into some folks that are ultra competative and think that their kid is going to the next MX superstar. We race the Alberta Oldtimers MX, it's a lot less stressful and more of a 'lets have fun "versus win at all costs attitude. They also have tracks that are safer ( no doubles ) than the CMA or CMRC crowd. It's a good place to start, and if you want more of a challenge , you can aways race the CMRC or CMA as well.
As far as cost, yes it is expensive, but you can save a lot of money by buying used bikes and equipment. If you go new with everything , count on about $2,000 for the bike, another $1200 for gear, membership fees $100.00, entry fees $20-$40.00/ race. Plus fuel, gate fees, motels ( camping is way cheaper ). Figure about $200.00 each year for tires, chains, sprockets, lube etc. Remember, with the gear, your kid is just going to out grow the stuff anyways and there's a good market for used stuff. Don't skimp on the helmet though, I'd never put a used or cheap piece of crap on my kid's or my own head. I'd also highly recommend a proper neck brace ( Leatte is a good brand , goes for about $400.00) for peace of mind. If you don't ride yourself, try to get him on some sort of a one day course to learn the basics. Give alot of thought to what kind of bike you get as well. Although something like a Cobra or KTM 50 has all the goodies, they are the most noisy ( read annoying ) bike outside a MX track. A Honda CR50 holds it value, and MX is 70% skill. When my kid was 7, he would get passed on the straights but won the races in the corners on his XR 50.
We also had our kids sign a "contract" that they would always wear their gear when on the bikes, keep them serviced and clean and listen to what was told to them while on the trail. There was no arguing when the rules got broken. They were also told to behave at the races or the bike gets parked.
Its a fun sport and it'll be even more fun if you get a bike yourself and ride together. :)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well put winterax....

We ride in both the CMRC and Alberta Old timers and yes the AOTMX are fun and more relaxed.

It's not that there aren't some good people that attend the CMRC races there are....but it is Unfortunately true that there are a number of jerks that are only in it for themselves…We have met and made some good friends at both. It’s just easier at the AOTMX……
As mentioned if you’re going to give it a go, invest in good gear, new or used, it will always have resale value. Get some bikes and ride some trails….then come check out some races….
Check out Alberta OldTimers Motocross Association there first race is May 2nd and 3rd at Devils Lake MX Park just east of Onaway….

Top Bottom