motor maintenance?

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled has 1400miles on it now it's a 07 summit 144. Should I be takin the head off to check the pistons yet????

Last edited by a moderator:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats not going to tell you anything. besides how its running. but since its computer controlled it should be running good.

what you need to do is take the exhaust manifold and reeds out and look at the sidewalls of the piston to check for scoring. and uneven unusual wear patterns etcetc

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...

so your saying by pulling his y-pipe and carbs off to check and see if his pistons are toast is not preventative maintenance?

takes an hour and he might discover he needs a set of slugs...or not..

cheaper than a chopper ride or 2. ask me how i know:d:d:d:d:beer:

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...

so your saying by pulling his y-pipe and carbs off to check and see if his pistons are toast is not preventative maintenance?

takes an hour and he might discover he needs a set of slugs...or not..

cheaper than a chopper ride or 2. ask me how i know:d:d:d:d:beer:

I agree....but on long climbs I notice it starts to lose power(when it's hot)revs around 7500rpm
and I'm burning belts but that's a hole other story! It's going to mountian magic before I ride it again. needs lots of stuff lol.:beer::beer:

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 21

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion is " If it Ain't Broke Don't Fix It" Normal maintenance is acceptable but just ripping an engine apart on a whim is a waste and asking for future problems.:twocents:
:):):):):)

u must end up with extra parts all the time! lol:d:rolleyes:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree....but on long climbs I notice it starts to lose power(when it's hot)revs around 7500rpm
and I'm burning belts but that's a hole other story! It's going to mountian magic before I ride it again. needs lots of stuff lol.:beer::beer:

thats a clutching issue. get a dj clutch kit. problem solved lol

should be steady around 8200 on your tach

burning belts can be caused by alot of things...missalignment for one..

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes I know I had a thread about this too! lol I'm just tryin to get somthin to read mostly lol

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The '07 rev's benefit alot with a set of vforce reeds. The tach is out by about 150-200 rpm so you want to run it at about 8300 or just overon the tach as that way you'll actually be running 8200as maxwell was right you want to run it at 8200. As for the dont touch it if it aint broke theorythey must have to much money, cause i've seen quite afew sleds that get 3-4000km on them and then the piston skirt breaks. And the peices usually jam between the crank and cases and bust the cases, so you end up spending 2G+ to fix. My M1000 has 5000miles on it and it is getting a new set of pistons in it just because i figure it's cheaper to replace them than replace more later if they do happen to come apart.. Just my thoughts.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
the '07 rev's benefit alot with a set of vforce reeds. The tach is out by about 150-200 rpm so you want to run it at about 8300 or just overon the tach as that way you'll actually be running 8200as maxwell was right you want to run it at 8200. As for the dont touch it if it aint broke theorythey must have to much money, cause i've seen quite afew sleds that get 3-4000km on them and then the piston skirt breaks. And the peices usually jam between the crank and cases and bust the cases, so you end up spending 2g+ to fix. My m1000 has 5000miles on it and it is getting a new set of pistons in it just because i figure it's cheaper to replace them than replace more later if they do happen to come apart.. Just my thoughts.

you're on the money glen....... But powerteker's sled only has about 1800 kms on it..... I'd be riding it for another year without touching it...... He needs his clutch done first, then good reeds!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With 1800 on it you are right i wouldn't worry to much about it this year. I'd look at puttin a pair of pistons in it next summer. But definitely do clutch as the '07's had a bad issue with the rollers in the primary clutch wearing out.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say around 1000-1500km I put around 700 miles on it last winter but i know ill ride more this year

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to put a set of pistons in before the season starts in my opinion then. Just to be on the safe side. the 860 big bore kit that specialty sleds has works awesome on those sleds to.

Top Bottom