Moto-X pants for snowmobiling?

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so im looking for some new pants
i currently wear 686 snowboard pants and they do the job
but are starting to show wear after only a few seasons

there are alot of sweet moto-x pants out there that i would consider
BUT.....will they stand the test for snowmobiling?
i havent found any that seem to be H20/wind proof?

i am looking at the THOR STATIC pants

thorpants.jpg

and SHIFT RECON pants

shiftpants.jpg

i am looking for something not so "traditional"
i know that brands like KLIM are awesome, but i really dont want anything KLIM

anyone wear some similar pants?
how do they hold up? do you get wet in them? do they keep the wind out?

thanks guys/gals

enis

Misfit

Reaction score
They are fairly wind proof. the zippers for the shorts are not tapered so they will let water in, the material its self is a thick type of nylon so water resistance is good but they have no snow gater inside the leg (or atleast the two pairs of shift squadrons I own don't, one with zipper legs and one with out) so your boots will get full of snow. Id say stick with the snowboarding style pants. Ive got a pair of bonfires that have been great.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My lower back always gets cold after a while if i wear mx pants, does anyone else find this to be a problem.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new 09 SHIFT squadrons come w a boot gaitor
but the RECONS do not

looking at these maybe, $130 shipped to me

shiftsquadrons.jpg

dont want KLIM pants
i know there are pretty much bulletproof and the best you can buy
but i dont wanna spend that coin and i like to change it up every few years
AND, everyone and their dog wears KLIM...want something different

Misfit

Reaction score
If they have boot gaters then Id say go for it. Wear some thermals underneath and you will be solid. Ive worn my squadrons on some -20 days with thermals then a pair of surfing type board shorts and my squadrons and was fairly comfortable except for the fact that snow was constantly getting in my boots.

spike7ss

Reaction score
I wear Helly Hansen Snowboarding pants, they are light weight, water and windproof and have lasted a couple years. For the price of the MX pants you could get something similar.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear Doo pants there are just a shell and are still a bib style, there pretty flashy with urban camo and yellow trim. I think the shell way is the best idea and to wear some thermals underneather like under armour. Oakley is also maken snow/boarding pants, check them out aswell, i used to try my MX pants but they were older styles, got wet REAL fast and stayed wet, i see alot of people going with snowboard pants, if you go with board pants you have endless designs and styles to choose from.

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can also look at slednecks gear. I have been wearing mine for 2 seasons now and has minimal signs of wear. I ordered mine online from their store, bought the last years clearance stuff for $100 for pants, $100 for jacket and cant believe the quality for only $200.

Misfit

Reaction score
I personally am not happy with my slednecks gear at all and probably will not buy any more slednecks outerwear. My freeride paints had one button pop off before I even put them on, my backcountry jacket blew a zipper half way through its first season. From my experience and personaly oppinion there are better outerwear options out there.

Top Bottom