morrissey access is now locked

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got a heads up that the gates were going up yesterday to lock off access up the morrissey road. going to be tight for parking now with corbin townsite going lockdown, and next will be too many trucks parked on the corbin road by the tin shed.:confused:

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not just drive on to fernie. Pay for a nice groomed trail and enjoy the extra time in the truck with your buddies.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dang. We had a nice tucked away spot for a snowboard jump, where the landing never got tracked out up that road last year. Time to find somewhere else I guess...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not just drive on to fernie. Pay for a nice groomed trail and enjoy the extra time in the truck with your buddies.

becuz with morrissey locked and corbin potentially locked, Coal Creek is one of the only remaining access points. Parking lot should be a gong show.....trail should be even more so......I know they will do their best to groom but when 90% of people are staging from one area, the trail is only going to hold up for so long. Especially with all the throttle happy nancy's out there...keep your heads up folks....

I hear the sledding in Revy is quite nice...... :D

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
becuz with morrissey locked and corbin potentially locked, Coal Creek is one of the only remaining access points. Parking lot should be a gong show.....trail should be even more so......I know they will do their best to groom but when 90% of people are staging from one area, the trail is only going to hold up for so long. Especially with all the throttle happy nancy's out there...keep your heads up folks....

Sledding in Revy is nice but you still have to come down their trails at the end of the day too.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about the morrisey staging area. We better hear from Fernie Snow Assoc on this if thats the case. If we have no place to STAGE?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so were is it locked at morrissey can you still get to lodgepole and the ram creek areas thats the area I ride the most and would hate to see the access taken away to get into harvey pass and all the other sick areas! coal creek is gonna be a gong show now haha it's cool everyone can go to revy just leaves more riding around here for me :d

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so were is it locked at morrissey can you still get to lodgepole and the ram creek areas thats the area I ride the most and would hate to see the access taken away to get into harvey pass and all the other sick areas! coal creek is gonna be a gong show now haha it's cool everyone can go to revy just leaves more riding around here for me :d

dont worry jared we will send you some pics of revy when the snow is 3 feet deep with some base and you are ridin wind drifted around fernie...happy sleddin:d

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Corbin is still open but if there is much more tresspassing on the minesite they will be shutting down the staging area at Corbin as well. The parking lot at Corbin is donated by the mine for all of us to use. We all must help police our sport or soon all area's will be closed some way or another. (yes, people have already started tresspassing on the minesite).

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Now I ask the question, why is this a surprise? I stated early in the season that Morrissey would be closed for logging this winter. We didn't know when and for how long. It will be for 4 months.

The gate is up and there is no access from the Morrissey staging area. Tembec is actively logging on their property and it is their right to close the road. You and I know that if there weren't gates in place peeps would go as far as they could and it would be a "cluster-fawk" in the canyon with someone and a 4-placed-enclosed with no chains. Tembec is just looking out for the safety of their employees as it is a wicked road to come down with a load of logs and then have to deal with sledders.

The Fernie Snowmobile Assoc. is working for a solution and we are going to find a "family trail" through the Rolling Hills to the Wrangler's cabin via the Coal Creek staging area. Jared, the LodgePole/Ram is open. We haven't checked to see how far that will be plowed this year, if at all.

We will groom the Coal Creek access as necessary and we have done our first run yesterday. If we can collect trail passes at the yellow gates we would do a full groom on the Marten Creek side. We groomed yesterday to the cattle guard. But, peeps have to realize that we can't groom without collecting trail passes.

Have some patience and things will work out. If you feel you have to go to Revy, then get-at-er!

Cowboy151

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. An understanding is always easier to come to with a little of the correct information. Keep us posted on any new developements so that future errors are not made so the access can remain open in the seasons to come. Cheers

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Dang. We had a nice tucked away spot for a snowboard jump, where the landing never got tracked out up that road last year. Time to find somewhere else I guess...

Can you access that from the Coal Creek side, Jay? It depends on how far "down" the Morrissey road it was...but it might be worthwhile thinking about....just saying

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you access that from the Coal Creek side, Jay? It depends on how far "down" the Morrissey road it was...but it might be worthwhile thinking about....just saying

You certainly could, but I imagine it would be a push. There is many other places to put those things, morrisey was just convenient. There are plenty of places to play, it just happens that we need to drive/ride farther. No big deal really.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Are we talking about the morrisey staging area. We better hear from Fernie Snow Assoc on this if thats the case. If we have no place to STAGE?

Dobir, with no disrespect, this has been in the works for awhile and it has been posted. I quote....

"That road is no road for a four place anyways..wait for snow and come up the other way I guess..

"If we have to ride the flat stuff the snow better be deep"

Those are your words from earlier in the season.....just saying

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh I remember your stuff about the logging..this is a seperate thread and I was making sure it wasn't closed forever..that was the impression I got when I read this thread cool your jets...

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ferniesnow, all i was doing was making people aware that it is locked so the internet sledders are aware, and also it is food for thought on how valuable our riding areas are.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it locked right at the staging area Dusty? We hardly ever go that far anymore. As long as you can still get down the pipeline I'm happy. Or you ca stage from town and take the long way around the rolling hills if you don't want to cut through.
Thanks for the info

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is it locked right at the staging area Dusty? We hardly ever go that far anymore. As long as you can still get down the pipeline I'm happy. Or you ca stage from town and take the long way around the rolling hills if you don't want to cut through.
Thanks for the info

Vertical-Extreme, you can take the long way around until you get to the Morrissey/McEvoy road and then you run into the plowed piece of road all the way to the cabin and beyond.

We will be exploring today to find and mark a "family trail" through the Rolling Hills.

Top Bottom