More retarded sledding

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
off topic but that spot @ frisby is sweet, the ridge back over to the green tower is pretty dicey at times, deep snow over there yander.:beer::beer::beer:

I tried giving a fee avi course with sleds bought at the Calgary sled show and got not takers, everybody took a cash discount or parts credit instead.........perhaps next year will be different.

So....technically it wasn't free...

Next time, don't offer the cash discount, include an avy course with the sled!

fbraz088

Reaction score
wow....

if it would be that simple dgiles....

guys will go elsewhere because they can get the sled cheaper. and people that already have a fresh avy course won't be interested.

In the end he is running a business and he needs to make money

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow....

if it would be that simple dgiles....

guys will go elsewhere because they can get the sled cheaper. and people that already have a fresh avy course won't be interested.

In the end he is running a business and he needs to make money

Not if ALL the manufacturers get on board, and I think it would be in their interest to do so. If you took the course in the last coupl of years, you would get the discount.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
convincing sledders they need to take an avy course, now that shows how retarded some of them are....

It is not the manufactures job to ensure you back yourself up with the knowledge of how to ride, service and stay safe while riding your machine...

Wake up people it is your responsibility o get the knowledge and use your head..

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Not if ALL the manufacturers get on board, and I think it would be in their interest to do so. If you took the course in the last coupl of years, you would get the discount.

So you have to be a Mountain sledder in order to get a discount? What about the trail riders not interested in going to the mountains?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you have to be a Mountain sledder in order to get a discount? What about the trail riders not interested in going to the mountains?

I guess if you buy a mountain specific sled, you get the benefit of the training, the others, I guess it would not apply so the price goes into leather apparel, or whatever.... You can only hope they are sensible enough if they venture into the mountains.... You can't reach out to everyone.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is not the manufactures job to ensure you back yourself up with the knowledge of how to ride, service and stay safe while riding your machine...

Wake up people it is your responsibility to get the knowledge and use your head..

^^^X2
I couldn't agree more. The responsible sledder will take avalanche training on their own. Where do you draw the line if you are seriously proposing mandatory avalanche courses as part of the purchase price of a mountain sled? How about someone who buys a performance sled or trail sled? They could take it to the mountains or long track it. How do you control that?
What about the people that travel 140Kmh on the trails? Someone should try to control that somehow too.
Maybe the manufacturers should be limited to building sleds with 30HP and track lengths of no more than 110 inches. That way no one can get to hazardous terrain or drive too fast.

This whole idea of trying to force feed safety on people is retarded in my opinion.

Getting back to the picture who is to say the people on the hill have not taken avalanche training but choose to ignore what they have been taught? You know some people are bullet proof don't you?:rolleyes:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well in general public speaking... (which general public is up in the backcountry now)
It is a suggestion to get the knowledge out there. Us as snowmobilers (as opposed to the government) have to find a way to SERIOUSLY get avalanche awareness out there. The morning breakfast yuppie shows are not getting through to the general public....

If you have a better suggestion to get the word out... speak your words...

The buyer would have a choice to take the course, or not. If not, how about the extra funds go to CAC or equivalent.
It is getting to the point that there has to be a more powerful way in getting the word out, whether it be progressive education/legislation, or word of mouth.
Right now word of mouth is not working.
We can keep talking, and talking... and talking........ how safe we should be, but in the end, are the deaf ears are still there?..
YES
but there are also so many that are ill informed, OR ignorant, and appear stupid.
Look at boating. What difference is that to the backcountry? It was a free for all for everyone, and still is in a way...But now you need an operators certification to operate a boat, each boat requires an anchor, a bail bucket, lifejackets, horn, etc.etc.
It is a shame that we need all of this to enjoy ourselves.. but one bad apple spoils the bunch... doesn't it?

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This weekend at Gorman I saw alot less "retarded sledding" than previous.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So....technically it wasn't free...

Next time, don't offer the cash discount, include an avy course with the sled!

Every customer is different, some buy on price and could care less about anything else.
I had a youger guy from Southern Ontairo( had just moved out west) who was so stupid he spent his last $ 350 on a chrome FMF exhaust for his new CR 250 instead of buying motocross boots, he rode in his DC skate shoes instead......

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every customer is different, some buy on price and could care less about anything else.
I had a youger guy from Southern Ontairo( had just moved out west) who was so stupid he spent his last $ 350 on a chrome FMF exhaust for his new CR 250 instead of buying motocross boots, he rode in his DC skate shoes instead......

In the words Bill Engvall, Here's yer sign......

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In regards to the frisby pic, they were trying to stay on top of the ridge. there was a group on tops maybe 5-6 pep helping him as he was just pinning it to get out of his trench. i thought WTF there is plenty of deep pow play areas that we had already passed that day. but as usual guys gotta play with fire and try to bust across that skinny part putting there lives at risk, and others at risk when they have to go down and save his ---

can't fix stupid

Last edited by a moderator:

shiftycliffy

Reaction score
So when experienced guy s like your selves see some people doing something stuppid like what we see here, would you be out of line if maybe you were to go over and telling the dumb --- to go play some were else?? In all due respect to every one here I think you would be doing your self and them a huge favour. If there was a slide god forebid and these guys were buried all of you would be on a mission to help save a life. Not only are you trying to help save a life but your putting your self in a bad situation especially if there was a second slide. If it was me being the dumb --- and doing something stuppid and you were to come over and maybe explain what could happen, I would very much respect you for that!! Chances are you ll save my life and maybe others. And thats all I have to say about that,The great Forest Gump

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my experience dumb do not like to be told what to do or how to do things, this is why they are dumb :d

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my experience dumb do not like to be told what to do or how to do things, this is why they are dumb:d

lmao.... true but not always true like stated above^^^^^^

Some people just dont know how dangerous or "stupid" they are being...

If I am doing something wrong and someone comes over yelling at me well I will start yelling back regardless but if someone was to come up to my group and say hey guys just a thought,, I have seen that ridge slide before, or are you aware avalanche activity is high and that is a dangerous spot, then I would respond saying thank you sir very good points we should move on...

its all how you say it and more of us need to help educate in a positive manner...

so many people are so new to this sport,, be polite and explain the dangers if they yip ya off after being nice drive by and roost them and move on lol...kidding about the last part,, but if they yip best thing to do is shake your head in disgust and move on....

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the best way to approach people is calmly.

The average noob will really appreciate info from experienced guys, but all it takes is one dumbass to spout off and many people will never want to speak up again. They don't need to hassle when all they want to do is enjoy the day.

shiftycliffy

Reaction score
Kinda my thoughts exactaly john_t, I think we all have to go above and beyond what we would have done normally in the past. I no in the past I would have just left the building if I seen some one doing something unsafe.But to help nip this thing in the butt I think we gotta step up to the plate in a calm cool manner and voice your thoughts.The sport is getting huge and alot of new people out there that dont have a clue what could happen.I am far from a pro and thats why I would always take some input.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
On Saturday PM at Silent pass, I watched a group of about 6 sleds parked at the bottom of a prime slope when 2 other sleds were high-marking ( 1/3 of that slope had slid recently, the other 2/3 that they were on, same aspect, had NOT slid) :nono:

On a Postive note, there was another group of 12, parked AT the top of another slope, in a very safe zone :)

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
hows this for some more stupidity? This was yesterday

Apparently he ran out of gas right here.....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom