mini intercooler do or don't

Dragon mod

Reaction score
I have a silber kit on my 800 09 dragon. Runs awesome, looking for some new add ons and heard mixed emotions about the mini intercooler and looking for some advice if it helps that much or hinders the bottom end or what. We mostly are boon dockers and climbers. Thanks

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
Im installing a Silber kit on my 08 D7 rite now, ill let you know how it works. So far the kit looks great, its the intercooled kit. Im a sled,Atv mechanic and im setting it up.

Dragon mod

Reaction score
I have approximately 1000 miles on it, works really well, a few issues but they have been worked out with the new O ring fit airbox and a few other small issues that have been updated. If you have your sled updated with the new pistons last year be very carefull its not just with this kit its with any turbo. The pistons are a softer metal than the single rings that they took out and the ring gland has a tendency to break sending it though your turbo and soon after your ring will break and cause a engine failure. Both me and my buddy had to rebuild our motors 350 miles after the update with the turbo on it. They both blew up withing 30 miles of eachother. He was lucky enought that I blew up 1st and he checked his piston and his ring gland was gone but not the ring so he didn't have to replace anything but the pistons. We went back to single rings and have 700 miles and look like new. Oh and we installed it ourselves. My buddy is a polaris lead mechanic so made it easy. But if you are mechanicly inclined it is not hard just need the right tools and a shop and patience. Good luck

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
wow good to know, I just bought my sled and it has brandnew drop in engine so im not sure what they had for pistons, but im guna find out now. thanks.

RMK166

Reaction score
Mini cooler is really going to depend on how high the intake air temps are. I Have been toying around with fabbing a kit for my 06 900 rmk.

buckshot

Reaction score
I am running the BD kit with the intercooler and it runs great with very little lag. I never ran it with out the intercooler so I can't comment if this is worse. I am seeing charge temps as low as 65F but ave is 85F at 9psi.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have approximately 1000 miles on it, works really well, a few issues but they have been worked out with the new O ring fit airbox and a few other small issues that have been updated. If you have your sled updated with the new pistons last year be very carefull its not just with this kit its with any turbo. The pistons are a softer metal than the single rings that they took out and the ring gland has a tendency to break sending it though your turbo and soon after your ring will break and cause a engine failure. Both me and my buddy had to rebuild our motors 350 miles after the update with the turbo on it. They both blew up withing 30 miles of eachother. He was lucky enought that I blew up 1st and he checked his piston and his ring gland was gone but not the ring so he didn't have to replace anything but the pistons. We went back to single rings and have 700 miles and look like new. Oh and we installed it ourselves. My buddy is a polaris lead mechanic so made it easy. But if you are mechanicly inclined it is not hard just need the right tools and a shop and patience. Good luck

I dont think so I have 5 BD kits on the snow all with the up dates done (duel ring pistons) my own 08 dragon has 3600 miles on it now 2600 miles at 12 lbs with no problems at all 2 of the other kits have well over 1000 miles with no probs at 12 lbs. I run AV gas in all and the heads arr cut for lower comp. Sounds like you and your friend had some detnation problems. Not good enough fuel with to high of boost thats what brakes ringlands.

EricW

Reaction score
I've built 3 BD Turbo 800's. Son #1 & I have the cooler, son #2 doesn't. This is our 2nd year on the 09's and 3rd year on my 08. I honestly cant tell the differences that you hear about. Some say lag is way worse with the cooler based on larger air volume to get moving, some say throttle response and WOT performance is bettr with the cooler.

My take is for the same money as the cooler you could buy a mesh hood to run in the spring conditions (assuming you ride spring conditions) and improve your charge temps with better intake temps rather than trying to cool higher intake temps after the fact with the intercooler.

I do believe those that say an intercooled motor will perform better in multiple long pulls on warm days than a sled without. For our group with 10-12 psi and 1 long pull you need a minute to pull the shorts out of your butt. I have never been in a situation in spring snow with warmer temps that I did multiple long pulls on big boost. If I make a long pull on hero snow at big boost my butt is usually puckered for long enough for my sleds engine/compartment to cool before the next pull. Usually there is another rider waiting to go anyway.

I just don't see the conditions where the cooler is really supposed to shine where/how we ride. You style or terrain may be different. I would be more apt to look at the mesh hood or bringing the intake into fresh air before doing the cooler again. Just my .02. EW

Top Bottom