Mexico

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did Bahia Principe Grand Cayacoa on the Samana Peninsula back in Jan of 2019. We had no desire to do Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, or anything anywhere close to Santo Domingo, so went there. We did tour some of the Peninsula, Las Galeras is nice and has some Europeans and Canadians that call it home during the winter. Rincon beach is really nice to visit. Samana is still fairly undeveloped in terms of tourist amenities, which I like but not everyone does.

For a budget trip we were pretty impressed. Only thing is Samana was only available via Toronto, which adds considerably to travel time.
Thanks. Was better espanol skills more important to go off the beaten track?

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did the Punta Cana Princess last year. It’s a smaller, all adult resort. We really enjoyed it. The beach and the walk into the ocean was probably one of the best within that area. We walked 3-4 miles on both sides of our resort so we had a good idea. Food was delicious, the people were super and the drinks flowed.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Was better espanol skills more important to go off the beaten track?

We didn't need to know Spanish, we always hired a driver or tour guide that spoke English to translate when we went out, and they know the best areas to visit. If you went out on your own fursure it would be helpful/required.

Samana still has tourist amenities, but Grand Cayacao is the only resort in the town, not like Punta Cana or Cancun that have 20+ hotel on a strip of beach.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 hours out of Houston Texas. I was there already so it would total 14 hrs from Calgary. 10 hours aint much in buisness class. Get on plane early evenimg, have dinner and a few drinks, go to sleep, wake up for breakfast and land for morning.

Did it all the time traveling to netherlands, leave home in the afternoon and be in a meeting next morning. Just sleeping in a different bed. Not for everyone but a life of living on the road you get used to it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 hours out of Houston Texas. I was there already so it would total 14 hrs from Calgary. 10 hours aint much in buisness class. Get on plane early evenimg, have dinner and a few drinks, go to sleep, wake up for breakfast and land for morning.

Did it all the time traveling to netherlands, leave home in the afternoon and be in a meeting next morning. Just sleeping in a different bed. Not for everyone but a life of living on the road you get used to it.

that's not teribble. Cabo is only 4 hours away, so that is nice. But I wouldn't mind checking out Argentina

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these resorts, just stay home and get drunk at a Taco Bell.
Argentina is getting a ways down there. Will do peru north to Columbia one year. Been really liking Thailand Vietnam area. No resorts though.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these resorts, just stay home and get drunk at a Taco Bell.
Argentina is getting a ways down there. Will do peru north to Columbia one year. Been really liking Thailand Vietnam area. No resorts though.

Taco bell wouldnt be so bad if it werent 30 below outside in january.

Id like to get maybe get a condo some where nice to hang out in the winter time. Resorts are ok though.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did that trip once a month for 5 years, took me 2 days to get to the southern part. Never had the luxury of business class, cattle class the entire way. Used to drink scotch out of a beer mug in the lounge so I could sleep... What part were you in?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
How does it compare to Mexico?

I'm debating going in Feb and Mexico is about $1000+ more for a 2 couples 8 day vacation.
that was our first ever experience with "tropical destination" vacations, we are leaving again Jan 26 to Viva Maya in Playa Del Carmen for our first Mexico experience.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that was our first ever experience with "tropical destination" vacations, we are leaving again Jan 26 to Viva Maya in Playa Del Carmen for our first Mexico experience.
Mexico is awesome. If you have time, make sure you go to Cozumel for a day and rent a jeep or a rzr for an island tour. Lots of stuff to do on Cozumel Island.
The ferry ride in the winter can be fun too

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Mexico is awesome. If you have time, make sure you go to Cozumel for a day and rent a jeep or a rzr for an island tour. Lots of stuff to do on Cozumel Island.
The ferry ride in the winter can be fun too
Thanks for the suggestions Andrew!
We're leaving the boy with Grandma & Grandpa and heading out for the week.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did that trip once a month for 5 years, took me 2 days to get to the southern part. Never had the luxury of business class, cattle class the entire way. Used to drink scotch out of a beer mug in the lounge so I could sleep... What part were you in?
BA, Ushaia and Mendoza. Since this trip was on my own dime went premium economy. It was almost as good as buisness. just don't get a laydown pod but it wasn't bad.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
eff that..... no more kids.
With 2 nobody loney
With 3 they can start a party
With 4.......WTH are they up to and whrre are all of them.

We stopped at 3 all 2 years appart.
And ya they started a lot of parties at the firepit when they were all at home.

Top Bottom