Mechanical Questions for ya..

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the instrument cluster in my 05 Dodge truck. I picked one up at a wrecker, but the mileage is higher. Changing due to one gauge quit working (temp).

My first question is: With these newer trucks being all computers and digital, will the odometer read MY trucks mileage or the mileage from the truck it came from?
Mine has 125 XXX, and the truck it came from is 140 XXX. Would like it to be accurate.

Second question: If it reads the higher mileage... Is there a place I can take it to, to get it to read correctly?

Third question: How hard is it to take out the dash in an 05 Dodge? My concerns are air bags.... How do I get past that without them blowing up?

Any answers to these questions are GREATLY appreciated. THANKS :d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@snowandmud.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.15 Server at www.snowandmud.com Port 80

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You seriously want to replace your instrument cluster ?

What the heck happened to your gauge ? An after market temp gauge sounds more reasonable.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should be able to remove the gauge cluster without distrubing the air bags some clusters you can replace the temp gauge and use the original cluster for milelage purposes , and if the vehical has the same trans / diff / motor as yours does the speedo should read correctly / if not the dealer will have to program the new cluster to match your truck I hope this all makes sense, you can test your temp sender on the motor to make sure thats not the problem

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mileage will remain the same, pull off the plastic trim and 4 bolts hold in the cluster, 4 plugs on back . 10 minute swap.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@snowandmud.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.15 Server at www.snowandmud.com Port 80
spilled coffee on the key board

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You seriously want to replace your instrument cluster ?

What the heck happened to your gauge ? An after market temp gauge sounds more reasonable.

Not sure what happened to the gauge. One day it works, the next day nothing. Instrument cluster didnt cost to much compared to after market gauges, so I went with the factory ones again. :d

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should be able to remove the gauge cluster without distrubing the air bags some clusters you can replace the temp gauge and use the original cluster for milelage purposes , and if the vehical has the same trans / diff / motor as yours does the speedo should read correctly / if not the dealer will have to program the new cluster to match your truck I hope this all makes sense, you can test your temp sender on the motor to make sure thats not the problem

How do you do this?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
find the sender on the motor it should be close to the radiator hose the top one brass in color with a wire plug in to it unplug it find something to ground the wire to engine block turn key on and the gauge should read hot or high as it will go , what motor do you have I find one to make sure this will work for you

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
find the sender on the motor it should be close to the radiator hose the top one brass in color with a wire plug in to it unplug it find something to ground the wire to engine block turn key on and the gauge should read hot or high as it will go , what motor do you have I find one to make sure this will work for you

It has the 5.7 HEMI. :d

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u change the cluster u will have to have it reprogramed by a dodge dealer...

got to love new vehicles.... the km, vin ect is stored in the cluster...

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found an 06 5.7 hemi and the first plan got shot down all the sensors have more than one wire on them the one that your after I think is under the ac pump hard to get at multie wire sensors need a computor to test plug in to the truck sorry I was not much help

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u change the cluster u will have to have it reprogramed by a dodge dealer...

got to love new vehicles.... the km, vin ect is stored in the cluster...

I talked to 2 dealerships today and it CANT be re programmed. Newer truck YES, but not mine. Chitty deal for me, cause now my truck will show higher KMS than it really is. :mad:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Take pics of old/new odometer,document date,etc.
Might help if you ever plan to sell.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take pics of old/new odometer,document date,etc.
Might help if you ever plan to sell.

Yeah, I plan on documenting everything. Plus the receipt says the used cluster had 140 XXX when sold to me, and the date. Will mark everything in the owners manual, not much else I can do. :d

Top Bottom