MCX 180 Upgrade?

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any information on the 190+ upgrade for the MCX 180 kits. I 've heard reprograming, more weight in primary, approx. 1-2 lbs more boost and good to go.

Last edited:

jockdoc

Reaction score
Hmmm. That'd be cool. Maybe we should just contact MC Xpress directly? I bet Aaron at Mountain Motorsports in Golden would know.

sleslie

Reaction score
I also just called Prince George Yamaha and they told me to send my ecu to them, and they would reprogram it for me and send it back. It was Don that i talked to and he seemed to be in a rush so i never got a chance to ask him what the cost would be, but i'm sure the $160 is pretty accurate.

jockdoc

Reaction score
Spoke with Trent at Walt Healy - they are doing mine in about an hour. He has the program from MC Xpress to do the upgrade. It'll be a couple hundred bucks.

sleslie

Reaction score
Just curious jockdoc exactly which box they are reprogramming, is it the actual sled ecu located by toolbag up in front clip or is it the MCX ecu? I'm not too sure where my MCX box is located or what it even looks like.

Last edited:

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's your MCX ecu which should be located on the rad shroud on the left side. It is small, aluminum and has a vac hose and wires attached to it. Don also mentioned to ground it to the battery, not to the frame, which the mcx manual recommeded. He said the ground can fail on the frame which can cause the ecu to fry.

sleslie

Reaction score
Thank you very much mudmania, i really appreciate the information. I think i'm going to take mine in to Walt Healey, but i would have taken the wrong box and looked like an idiot. This is going to be a hot seller for these guys i think, why wouldnt someone pay the extra couple hundred for 10+ hp.

jockdoc

Reaction score
According to Trent, they are doing several things - its not just an ECU reprogram, although that is involved also. He said they change the rod position, presumably on the waste gate, thereby giving you a couple more pounds of boost. Maybe clutch weights too? I just dropped my sled off there and they will set it up. I think its going to be awesome!

Top Bottom