Mclean Creek trails

horton213

Reaction score
Hi,
Would anyone happen to have any maps/trails of Mclean that i could put on my gps?
Thanks
Chris

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have any but the maps at the store are not that good as a lot of trails have changed and there are new ones that are not on the maps. I've been there so many times I never have used a map. Because some trails are not passable in the spring, you just need to be with another quad with winches and explore, good luck.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have any but the maps at the store are not that good as a lot of trails have changed and there are new ones that are not on the maps. I've been there so many times I never have used a map. Because some trails are not passable in the spring, you just need to be with another quad with winches and explore, good luck.

The alternative is to ride a sustainable trail. Something we should all be practicing.

SRD has maps of both Wiaprous and Mclean on their page. Garmin ready, but I think you can open in Google Maps and convert to other manufactures file types.

Please keep trails and what OHV use they have. Stay off motorcycle only trails. Quads can only ride truck, or quad trails.

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey there, whens the next time you guys plan on headin out there? looking for other people to go with so if i get stuck i wont be in trouble haha, let me know thnx

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well that all sounds nice but I have run into quad trails that split into bike trails with no signage, the only thing that gave away that it was a bike trail was the trail narrowed and 1 end up with a single track in the mud. I turned around and found a more like able trail. The maps don't show all trails as there are a lot of new ones, do to fencing and construction and logging. Tread lightly where you can and have fun. In the spring stay in the middle of the trail even when it is a foot deep of water as the bottom of most of the trails are rock bottom, don't (make) dig up new trails, you will just ruin it for every one. I guess the 2 wheelers will have to find away though, when it comes to a mud hole. get a winch

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never been lost out there I might get turned around from time to time, but never lost. That's why there are trails and they come together sooner or later. I like the trip around the lake, if you are not riding hard it will take about 2 1/2 hrs with a short pit stop at the lake by the beaver pond and there is not alot of traffic, nice ride.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are the maps garmin ready?

They are in the garmin map format.

I'm sure there are options by now for other makes, but if not, just download google earth. Open maps in that, and convert if required.

My new Oregon GPS takes .img files for maps now too.

farmboy686

Reaction score
Hey guy's I am new to this site but have read for a while, I had a a few questions about mclean creek. me and a buddie are new to off roading both have jeeps with arb lockers small lifts 9000 lbs winches done up pretty nice but would advice on which trails at mclean would be challenging but not to hard yet. both of use have lots of off roading experience but not in the rock crawling area that we would like to get into. Also any other place to try out we are about 5 1/2 hr to calgary and 5 to edmonton. Thanks in advance !

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's I am new to this site but have read for a while, I had a a few questions about mclean creek. me and a buddie are new to off roading both have jeeps with arb lockers small lifts 9000 lbs winches done up pretty nice but would advice on which trails at mclean would be challenging but not to hard yet. both of use have lots of off roading experience but not in the rock crawling area that we would like to get into. Also any other place to try out we are about 5 1/2 hr to calgary and 5 to edmonton. Thanks in advance !

Very little to no rock crawling here.

There are a few trails I'd recommend but it's kinda hard to show on a map. In the end, if you are looking for rock you won't find it here in Calgary. You'll find offroad trails with rock, but definitely not rock crawling.

farmboy686

Reaction score
well I have been there once before but never drove much, I guess I am looking for technical trails. Also I live in sask so any rocks I go over is rock crawling lol. But just looking for advice on trails that arn't just driving slow and looking at pretty birds, I can do that on my farm. But keep in mind we both are new to off camber and rocks. Thanks for the help guys.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we went out to Mclean to day, what a rush. Lost of ice and packed snow trails and a few water holes, there was another quad club out there also. There must have been 50 quads out and about, and some snow mobiles. 7hr ride and a winney roast, weather was great, more people were coming in when we were leaving, talked to a couple of riders and they were into a night run, ye haw and no brake downs with our crew, just fun.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to head back out to McLean Creek sometime this year. The last time we were out there on bikes I don't think we found the right trails and too early in the year was really wet, etc.

We're looking to camp, is there any random camping in this area or is the campground the best spot? Also, last time we went I believe we staged at the North end of McLean Creek... is there a better spot to stage with closer access to more of the Dirtbike friendly trails? I understand there is a trail map available somewhere just curious what other fellow dirt bikers have for feedback of the this area for camping/staging and best access to good bike trails.

Thanks all!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to head back out to McLean Creek sometime this year. The last time we were out there on bikes I don't think we found the right trails and too early in the year was really wet, etc.

We're looking to camp, is there any random camping in this area or is the campground the best spot? Also, last time we went I believe we staged at the North end of McLean Creek... is there a better spot to stage with closer access to more of the Dirtbike friendly trails? I understand there is a trail map available somewhere just curious what other fellow dirt bikers have for feedback of the this area for camping/staging and best access to good bike trails.

Thanks all!

Trails are really wet right now still.

Random camping is allowed provided you follow the rules.

There are good dirt bike trails whenever you stage, but you just need to find them. Let me know and I can pinpoint them on google maps for you so you can enter the co-ordinates on a GPS. Rather not post them on-line.

PM me so I get the message. After tonight I won't be around till Sunday night.

Let me know what you want, or like to ride. Expect lots of roots, rocks and logs. That's what you get in Mclean =)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have no idea when we will go, prob July or August sometime. I don't own a GPS actually, but if I printed off the McLean Creek trail map it would be great if you gave us a hint at the best spots!

Well I do a lot of riding in the mountains, like Nordegg, etc creeks, swamps, rocky slopes/trails, roots, logs, everything... I'm sure I can handle Mclean again.. we just didn't find any good trails last time we were there.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you join RMDRA ($40) they give you their personal map with trail names. Many of the trails are maintained by the RMDRA. Keep in mind they like logs on trails to prevent hills from errosion, etc.

Let me know which map you have and I can point out the areas. Most trails make nice loops

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the map I have found.

Also, if you or anyone could point me in the best area on this map to stage/camp that would be great! I didn't camp at Mclean last time I was there so not sure where the best area is. Would like to be able to ride from the camp site.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All camping at Mclean is ride away.

You have to be a certain distance from water and the road I believe. Or maybe its a distance within the road? I donno. Any spot a normal vehicle can get to expect it to be pretty busy.

I'll look at the map now.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM me your e-mail and I'll send it over. It's very preliminary, but shows you the areas of good single track. Certain areas are better for wet conditions, etc.

The map isn't the best, but this is the government provided one. Paper copies are available at all staging area kiosks.

As with any new area exploring, I suggest a GPS and extra batteries. You wouldn't want to be spending a cold night out in the foothills. At the very least, bring a tarp and fire starting equipment.

Top Bottom